• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Eastland Made in Maine

shoreman1782

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Don't see the logic that late to the game should = lower prices. I do think Eastland is getting into a very crowded pool. It's no longer Sperry or Quoddy for special makeups--There's a ton of moccs out there at a number of price ranges, from Sperry to LL Bean signature to Quoddy and yuketen, and I have to think at some point the enthusiast market is going to be saturated, and I'm not sure the Sperry customer is going to pony up for $300. And that's even if the mocc trend sticks... Plus, the lack of transparency with where things are really made is a little frustrating. This isn't Eastland specific, but offering a shoe as unique and special and made in a small factory clashes with the fact that a dozen makers are offering similar shoes, made in a VERY small number of factories, and claiming they're special. But, I like the monhegan model
S0Tha.jpg
Edit: I have sympathy for people who need special widths, but that's got to be a small % of customers. I don't hold it against them IF that's not something they're offering.

burningbright

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JMK
I was looking forward to seeing the full range of the Eastland Made in Maine collection, but I thought the pricing would be lower seeing as they are rather late to the game. Also, they don't offer anything custom, and that includes offering widths, which both Quoddy and Oak Street do.

+1

All great points, JMK. I thought the pricing was pretty high as well and that was without thinking about the lack of customization and sizing. This could be a big waste of money for Eastland if they invested a lot of capital into this line and didn't think to address these issues, especially as late-comers to the heritage game. Isn't that what focus groups are for?

Speaking of which, how come most of these brands don't get SF'ers for focus groups anyway? Seems like there would be a lot of valuable input to offer that may even save these companies some money.

burningbright

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whiskeylaureate
Unfortunately, I don't see that happening, haha. Cheap labor in Maine can't compare to cheap labor overseas, unfortunately...But, it's certainly a step in the right direction if the collection continues beyond this season (not privy their future plans, personally).

The manufacturing biz in the whole region could definitely use a boost. I visited Fall River, MA a few months back, and it was sad to see so many historic factories closing or working at 25% capacity.

Well I dunno anymore. I do remember reading somewhere that labor costs have fallen to such that it's now actually profitable to have customer service call centers back in the States due to the poor economy and over-saturation in Bangalore. Not saying that this will affect other sectors but it's a nice thought amidst such grim economic news. Doesn't matter though as I'm sure the unions would find a way to drive the costs right back up again.

And yeah, I was out in Maine just this past summer and pretty much saw the same thing. Very sad. I've got a special place in my heart for the state so I wish them well. It is ironic though, to the point of being farcical, that any companies making products in China or elsewhere could proudly claim they have a US-made heritage line. Just seems like the kind of false pride a marketing department would come up with. I respect the smaller companies who have been able to keep their operations strictly in the States since their inception and will continue to give them my business whenever I can.

JMK

Reaction score
Originally Posted by shoreman1782
Don't see the logic that late to the game should = lower prices. I do think Eastland is getting into a very crowded pool. It's no longer Sperry or Quoddy for special makeups--There's a ton of moccs out there at a number of price ranges, from Sperry to LL Bean signature to Quoddy and yuketen, and I have to think at some point the enthusiast market is going to be saturated, and I'm not sure the Sperry customer is going to pony up for $300. And that's even if the mocc trend sticks...
The exact reason for lower prices is because the market is saturated. It's been done before, and by companies that have never left for overseas. Combine that with no options for customization (leather, soles, widths) and the enthusiasm wanes. Or, maybe I'm just bitter cause my foot's too wide.

whiskeylaureate

Reaction score
Originally Posted by lawlercon
"So, if you are going to talk about American Heritage, please make sure you know what you are talking about. I know it is difficult because you are in North Carolina, and the only heritage from that state is Slavery."

best thing i've read in awhile.

I'm guessing this was edited out like the other post. Shame. Editing's so not heritage...BTW - who's from North Carolina?

whiskeylaureate

Reaction score
I really can't speak to the metrics of producing shoes, but you may be right. That said, there's a reason Oak St is selling mainly through their site instead of retailers. If the others weren't selling through retailers, they could probably cut the price in half (at least w/conventional retail pricing model).

My foot's wide as well, but I've yet to try on the Eastlands...

whatever123

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whiskeylaureate
I really can't speak to the metrics of producing shoes, but you may be right. That said, there's a reason Oak St is selling mainly through their site instead of retailers. If the others weren't selling through retailers, they could probably cut the price in half (at least w/conventional retail pricing model).

My foot's wide as well, but I've yet to try on the Eastlands...

oak street is very new, i think george wants to establish a level a retailers, but it will be small.

accent1220

Reaction score
^ Like so many of you, I too have talked to George from Oak Street and ordered a pair. I think it's awesome that they're taking the web route - which is allowing them to keep their prices lower for us. I know for a fact that retailers are calling Oak Street like crazy, but they really want to limit retailers instead of raising prices.

raven37457

Reaction score
I know most people were not enthusiastic about the Eastland MIU move from a business perspective but I had a chance to pick up the Eastland Falmouth USA Camp Moc from the bird sale. I was debating on Quoddy or Yuketen but I could not pass up saving US$100 or more on a pair of mocs. I will post hi res and macro pics when I receive them. Has anyone purchased these or seen them in person? What are your thoughts?

mr bunbury

Reaction score
I've seen them (at Uncle Pete's here in Boston) - they are really nice, to my eyes as nice as the Quoddy and Yuketen shoes I own. I just ordered a pair from the Bird sale, too!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads