• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by retozimmermann
I disagree. It may depend on type of formality. If you're talking festive occasion, then a wholecut beats the cap-toe.

no

JesseJB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I need a mid-grey 2-button suit in size 40 for athletic build. Budget under $550.

Any ideas? My head is spinning.

blazingazn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
my top button popped of my 26oz Naked & Famous Denim Jeans.

how much would it cost to have a new button stamped in (I'll be getting replacements buttons from Naked & Famous).

onix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by distinctive
why do some people insist on calling monks loafers?

Several explanations:
- For many people: no laces + not boots = loafers
- For some other: they don't unbuckle the shoes, just leave it there, and put their feet in using shoe horn the same way you do with loafers. So for them, the buckle part is just decoration like penny/tassel/horse-bit.

jordanservice

Reaction score
So I got a couple of quick questions:

1.)
Oxford shirts: What would one look for when buying a decent quality shirt? Obviously fit but besides that.

2.) Washing cotton shirts. I seem to get different results depending on the shirt. Some times the cotton will come out super wrinkly and ironing doesn't really fix it. Other shirts come out relatively wrinkle free.

3.) When using the vinegar oxy-clean method for cleaning shirts, You use white vinegar right?

4.) OK, I have a cloth tape, but is there a reference guide on where I measure my measurements?

Sorry for the barrage of questions but was having a hard time finding the answers.

Nicola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jordanservice
2.) Washing cotton shirts. I seem to get different results depending on the shirt. Some times the cotton will come out super wrinkly and ironing doesn't really fix it. Other shirts come out relatively wrinkle free.

3.) When using the vinegar oxy-clean method for cleaning shirts, You use white vinegar right?

Iron damp.

What are you doing that your shirts are this dirty?

max_r

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
are trousers supposed to be pitched forward if you look at a profile view of yourself in the mirror? (ie. higher in the back, lower in the front).

it seems i'm most comfortable when my trousers sit at the same height all around my hips, but when i wear them like this, i get excess fabric in the back of the legs that billows out and makes the trousers look like crap. if i pull them up high in the back (to near-wedgie territory) they drape well and sit straight, but they wont stay up like that, even if i tighten my belt alot.

are all my trousers cut weird, or am I just funny shaped?

BlueHorseShoe

Reaction score
Can someone please point me in the direction of a comprehensive thread regarding traditional black tie affair? Thanks!

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by max_r
are trousers supposed to be pitched forward if you look at a profile view of yourself in the mirror? (ie. higher in the back, lower in the front).

it seems i'm most comfortable when my trousers sit at the same height all around my hips, but when i wear them like this, i get excess fabric in the back of the legs that billows out and makes the trousers look like crap. if i pull them up high in the back (to near-wedgie territory) they drape well and sit straight, but they wont stay up like that, even if i tighten my belt alot.

are all my trousers cut weird, or am I just funny shaped?

Welcome to the club, pal. Trousers are supposed to be a bit higher in the back, more so if you are wearing braces. This excess fabric that you are getting that piles up in the back of your legs is because you have more forward positioned hips. Not funny shaped at all. Most ready to wear trousers are pretty much cut straight up and down, so if you aren't, it rumples in the back. This can be fixed by a tailor drawing some of the excess material in the back up into the waistband so that when you are wearing them at a comfortable hight they don't pile up as much. Think of it as "lowering the waistband" in the back. Be thankful you aren't me, who has this problem as well as knocked-knees. Good luck.

R. Prikazka

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nicola
Iron damp.

Or use a thin damp cloth to put between the shirt and the ironing-iron*
That is also very helpful if you have black shirts, this way you won`t get 'shiny' shirts. I mean shirts that have a gloss over them.
Dry them on a hanger. A proper wooden or plastic one that is, not the metal-wire-things.

*Ironing-iron, is that even correct?
eh.gif

R. Prikazka

Reaction score
I just had a super nice tip from a friend!

In the local 'institution for involuntary commitment', the criminals have a wood workshop. You can deliver any (wood) project there and they`ll make it for you, and you only have to pay the materials used. Anything goes, from a nice little ebony / oak chess-set to complete window profiles.

So I am going to get some nice hangers exactly to my measures so shirts wont wrinkle that much on the shoulders and suits keep in the perfect shape I bought them in.

Maybe there is something like that in your town as well!

Can anyone recommend a certain wood? I was thinking of Ceder...

(For any FS folks in Holland, you can contact 070-3704888 for your local TBS clinic.)

Alex C

Reaction score
What's the tie knot where it looks like a four in hand but a bit of the back end of the broad side of the tie is showing above the knot? Is it just a Prince Albert with a stiff enough tie not to buckle upon tightening of the knot?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads