• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bleachboy
This may seem like an odd question coming from a shoe horse such as myself, but what is the "ultimate" black dress shoe? Like, the shoe you would wear to a funeral or court appearance. Plain toe? Cap toe? Wholecut?

in europe it is plain toe - either derby/blucher or bal/oxford, no wholecuts

in the U.S. it seems a bal cap toe.

Troilus

Reaction score
My briefcase has a little scuff on one corner due to wear. Can I use a little shoe polish to touch it up, or is a bad idea?

bleachboy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH
Gaziano & Girling "Oxford"

Originally Posted by onix
Plain cap toe bals.

Originally Posted by fritzl
in europe it is plain toe - either derby/blucher or bal/oxford, no wholecuts

in the U.S. it seems a bal cap toe.

Sounds like a consensus. Thanks, fellows.

bleachboy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Troilus
My briefcase has a little scuff on one corner due to wear. Can I use a little shoe polish to touch it up, or is a bad idea?

If it's black, go for it. I have touched up my wife's black purses in this way. I used shoe cream, though, not wax polish.

cromulated

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dah328
It depends on what you mean by "hi-shine." If you're referring to corrected grain leather with a shiny finish, the answer is no. If you're referring to patent leather, the answer is probably not. There are different qualities of patent leather, but I don't think any of them are as durable as a quality full-grain calf leather.

ah, thanks. i mean "hi-shine" as on, say, the barker dermot (http://www.pediwear.co.uk/barker/products/1516.php) vs. the black calf barker flynn (http://www.pediwear.co.uk/barker/products/1520.php)

JamesX

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This may seem like an odd question coming from a shoe horse such as myself, but what is the "ultimate" black dress shoe? Like, the shoe you would wear to a funeral or court appearance. Plain toe? Cap toe? Wholecut?

Plain Toe without any embellishment is the most formal.

Not sure where Whole Cut fits in, my gut feels it is a casual shoe.

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

37662884857427868ec0.jpg

retozimmermann

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JamesX
Plain Toe without any embellishment is the most formal.

Not sure where Whole Cut fits in, my gut feels it is a casual shoe.

I disagree. It may depend on type of formality. If you're talking work-environment, a cap-toe Oxford is as formal as it gets. If you're talking festive occasion, then a wholecut beats the cap-toe. This doesn't mean it cannot be worn casually but it isn't a casual shoe as such.

In my view it is comparable to a dinner jacket: fewer buttons, no pocket flaps, generally cleaner lines. But I don't think one could say which is more formal: a dinner jacket or a blue navy two-button suit. It depends on the occasion.

Surreal

Reaction score
I need a new, fitting suit. This is the best I have found so far:
suuit.jpg
Should I go for it? Sorry for the bad quality pics, I couldn't make any better ones. It's wool btw.

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Surreal
I need a new, fitting suit. This is the best I have found so far:
Should I go for it?

Sorry for the bad quality pics, I couldn't make any better ones. It's wool btw.

It looks too big across the shoulders for you. Look how it's standing off the left side of your neck.

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by cromulated
ah, thanks. i mean "hi-shine" as on, say, the barker dermot (http://www.pediwear.co.uk/barker/products/1516.php) vs. the black calf barker flynn (http://www.pediwear.co.uk/barker/products/1520.php)
Well, the Dermot is definitely not patent leather. I would guess based on price that it's corrected-grain (or lower quality) leather. Corrected grain leather, regardless of its degree of shine, is not nearly as durable as full-grain leather because it's essentially a veneer of surface leather applied over a lower-grade leather. Do a search here for corrected grain leather if you need more info on it. There are several very informative threads on it.

cromulated

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dah328
Well, the Dermot is definitely not patent leather. I would guess based on price that it's corrected-grain (or lower quality) leather. Corrected grain leather, regardless of its degree of shine, is not nearly as durable as full-grain leather because it's essentially a veneer of surface leather applied over a lower-grade leather. Do a search here for corrected grain leather if you need more info on it. There are several very informative threads on it.

will do...thanks again!

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
If it's black, go for it. I have touched up my wife's black purses in this way. I used shoe cream, though, not wax polish.

neither can do harm to a leather briefcase, quasi

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads