• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

North Sea Clothing

Racove

Reaction score
Looks good. Curious about these Lanolin comments though. It's one of those things that impacts some but not others. Sort of like an allergy. And yes, its itchy for those unfortunate ones. You probably already know if you are susceptible. If not, don't worry about it.

obiter dictum

Reaction score
Got a size 40 cream submariner in the mail earlier today (from the mandon store):

Length from BOC: 26.25"
P2P: 19.5"
S2S: 19.25"
Sleeve length from shoulder: 22.25"

As you can see, it has a very fitted upper body but oversized shoulders. The upper arms are also very roomy. Knitting and wool seems very sturdy, although a bit rough.

The smell that was mentioned earlier in this thread is definitely there. It smells like I'm wearing a wet sheep. I'm not a fan of that at all, but fortunately there should be an easy fix. I had a wool beanie with the same smell and it washed right out. I guess the lanolin is what makes it smell and the lanolin gets washed out. Of course that means it won't be as weather proof, but that's a small price to pay in my book. I'm going to put it through a laundry cycle in a couple of days, will let you know if the smell disappears or not.

obiter dictum

Reaction score
Originally Posted by obiter dictum
Got a size 40 cream submariner in the mail earlier today (from the mandon store): Length from BOC: 26.25" P2P: 19.5" S2S: 19.25" Sleeve length from shoulder: 22.25" As you can see, it has a very fitted upper body but oversized shoulders. The upper arms are also very roomy. Knitting and wool seems very sturdy, although a bit rough. The smell that was mentioned earlier in this thread is definitely there. It smells like I'm wearing a wet sheep. I'm not a fan of that at all, but fortunately there should be an easy fix. I had a wool beanie with the same smell and it washed right out. I guess the lanolin is what makes it smell and the lanolin gets washed out. Of course that means it won't be as weather proof, but that's a small price to pay in my book. I'm going to put it through a laundry cycle in a couple of days, will let you know if the smell disappears or not.
Put it in the laundry machine on wool program, no spin. Got most of the water out by rolling it in a towel, laid it flat to dry. Smell is gone. Yay.
cool.gif

MattBernier

Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone who owns one of the submariner sweaters, especially people with a slightly pear-shaped figure, could post photos of them wearing it? I'm curious to get at least an idea of how it'd likely fit. I can only find two photos in the whole internet of someone wearing a North Seas sweater.

If you could indicate whether you ordered true to size or more roomy, that would be even better.

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bumping for fit pics and fit recommendations.

With a 40" chest/32" waist will a 38" Submarine be wearable or too tight? (I know NSC say it's a 'snug' fit, but the 40" is currently sold out. I'm looking for a snug fit so I don't think sizing up wil work.)

How about the roll neck - does it stay tight or does it get saggy after some wear?

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
lol, don't size down on these. I have a 39" or so chest and I wear a 44 for a loose fit.

obiter dictum

Reaction score
I'd say go TTS (in your case forget about it or wait for a restock). My chest measures 39.5" and I got a size 40, measurements in earlier post. Like all knits, these are a bit stretchy, even more so over time. I definitely wouldn't recommend sizing down though, they are very fitted in the body. I don't think sizing up is a good idea either, the arms are huge enough as it is.

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank you Robin and OD.

Are you happy with yours? I mean, would you buy them again - knowing what they're like - or would you look elsewhere?

obiter dictum

Reaction score
They're great for what they are: Thick, rugged cold weather garments at a reasonable price. I'd happily recommend if that's what you're looking for. Would buy again.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads