• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cardigans, do they have a place as a wardrobe staple in modern menswear?

msimon

Reaction score
Is Aran sweater market using the same manufacturer or a sister company?, as the products look very similar.

transitoryanglo

Reaction score
I'm afraid I don't wash it as often as I should-it is a pain to dry. However, the pilling started almost as soon as I got it home; it was already significantly pilled the first time I wore it. Maybe it was just knitted from a poor batch.
i would complain about that myself, that doesnt sound right at all.

Sirguywhosmiles

Reaction score
i would complain about that myself, that doesnt sound right at all.
Sadly I have left it a bit too long now. I think I might buy my next knitwear from a higher-quality maker; I have enough now that i won't need to but as often.

I would like to save up for a Scottish cashmere shawl cardigan, but that will be a kind of grail piece for me.
I think for a more casual knit I might get another from Fisherman out of Ireland, a jumper and some hats I got from them are great.

transitoryanglo

Reaction score
Sadly I have left it a bit too long now. I think I might buy my next knitwear from a higher-quality maker; I have enough now that i won't need to but as often.

I would like to save up for a Scottish cashmere shawl cardigan, but that will be a kind of grail piece for me.
I think for a more casual knit I might get another from Fisherman out of Ireland, a jumper and some hats I got from them are great.
i always thought cashmere was a bit of a meme, i want to know my wools are both as tough and as warm as they can be. i cant recommend going for a scottish brand enough though, the quality is incomparable.

Son Of Saphir

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Some of the old cashmere sweaters by the top Scottish makers was hard and tough as nails.
Wore like iron and never pilled.
Hard to find vintage stuff like that now.

Love a shawl collar but more around the house as they don't do much for windy days and are hard to layer on top of.

A shawl cardigan around the house is the uniform for 6 months of the year.
A heavy shawl made from quality cashmere is a must.
Nice warm toasty cozy cashmere shawl cardigans done with style, nothing compares.

Son Of Saphir

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Had my very chunky 1967 McGeorge shetland shawl cardigan on last night over a 3 ply Ballantyne cashmere turtleneck paired with heavy tweed trousers.
Warm and cozy,
and a great look.
Life is too short not to do these things.
Many man will never know the pleasure.
Many lady and man know Son of Saphir wear the thick cardigans.
:fu:
Me like the extra thick shawl collar.
Few shawl cardigans are good enough for me,
Me only like the best ones. :fu:

transitoryanglo

Reaction score
Had my very chunky 1967 McGeorge shetland shawl cardigan on last night over a 3 ply Ballantyne cashmere turtleneck paired with heavy tweed trousers.
Warm and cozy,
and a great look.
Life is too short not to do these things.
Many man will never know the pleasure.
Many lady and man know Son of Saphir wear the thick cardigans.
:fu:
Me like the extra thick shawl collar.
Few shawl cardigans are good enough for me,
Me only like the best ones. :fu:
someday i like to live somewhere cold enough to wear cardigans all year. maybe some day ill bugger off into the highlands to drink laphroaig and stay toasty til my days end. i cant imagine anywhere further south being cold enough to warrant that level of wool assisted comfy.

HotDilf

Reaction score
Thom Browne made in Scotland
D056AC17-1C1F-43E3-B32F-4B6DD761979C.jpeg

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I love cardigans and are my go to for cool days/nights. I find them perfectly cozy.

Burberry trench

Reaction score

SBTR

Reaction score

Attachments

• 78E63D78-0F2F-48FB-8F9E-4945C4F729EF.png
    78E63D78-0F2F-48FB-8F9E-4945C4F729EF.png
    449.8 KB · Views: 667

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics