• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random health and exercise thoughts

jarude

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
650 cals under maintenance is a bit aggressive, given your activity levels. I would up it a little, depending on your goals. If you only want to lose fat/weight and **** everything else, you can do your diet like that for awhile. make sure to track your temps daily to ensure your metabolism doesn't **** the bed. again, personally I would eat at or just below maintenance - doing this ala WD will be a good recomp. fat loss will be slower, but you'll retain more muscle and your metabolism will thank you for it.

don't stress the caffeine, if you're gonna do WD you have do allow yourself some sanity. i drink black coffee like a fiend, too. just drink enough water.

it's not so much you have to do straight sets of this, blah blah, but your whole approach. it's fine to base your working sets off 80% a 1RM or whatever you're going for. the problem is that you are over-analyzing and micro-managing every possible aspect of it all. you can reduce your entire plan to "eat just below maintenance, lift heavy stuff" and you will find success. in other words, you aren't at an advanced enough level where micromanaging everything will have any real effect.

hell, the point of starting strength is that you lift big weights. linear increases on each lift from one workout to the next until you stall. pyramid warmup sets and 5 reps of this and 6 of that with 80% etc... you don't need to worry about that stuff. stop stop stop. how much are you squatting, straight sets at 3x5? on the topic of SS, it is...

squat 3x5
bench 3x5
deadlift 1x5
weighted dip 3x8

squat 3x5
press 3x5
power clean 3x5
chin 3x8

thats ALL. you have turned it into alternating squats and deadlifts reverse pyramid back extensions clusterfuckery. rippetoe would punch you in the face if you called that starting strength.

just eat a bit more, lift heavy weights at straight sets, dont overcomplicate stuff.

Scrumhalf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, 650Kcal is at the higher end of the range but I don't think it would necessarily hurt to start there and tweak as you go along. IMO, it is easier to start with a larger deficit and then reduce it if one sees loss of strength or muscle mass.

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Ive done rfl and gotten pretty low twice. I just can't stick it afterwards as I lose motivation. I think something gradual is better for me.

As for SS, back extensions are part one of the versions of ss. You can look that up on their Wiki. Rpt science makes more sense than straight. If the only argument you have against it is that its not SS I'm going to keep it. I know what Ss is. this is more based on power to th ppl and sand basters routine on ia

Anyways anybody have tips on estimating food in restaurants or social situations where somebody feeds you food?

I just realized I wrote ss. I started with ss when I wrote this then i changed after reading. My bad

Also winging things are only possible if you have the experience. Wo experience how would you know what eating below maintenance is or how to lift heavy

virus646

Reaction score
Originally Posted by indesertum

Anyways anybody have tips on estimating food in restaurants or social situations where somebody feeds you food?

Eat it. Don't be that guy. I always try to get lots of meat/fish and vegetables though, if I'm gonna eat a good meal, I'm gonna at least get lots of proteins.

jarude

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
stuff

fair enough, just read through the wiki and its there. so ignore me on that one...

and +1 on what virus said. I'll usually try and stick with meat/veggies and cut out the obvious bad choices. if you're going to a sit-down kinda restaraunt you can't go wrong with chicken/steak + veggies, cut the fries or whatever, and have water to drink.

URALLMORONS

Reaction score
That's 650 calories under maintenance. I think what I got from everybody's post was increase calorie intake, do straight sets, and no caffeine? I actually don't have 12 hours of sleep available. Not all students do and I don't see why relying on caffeine or other stimulants are bad. I drink coffee anyways and yohimbine doesn't have side effects for and I find it quite helpful during workout. Everybody has their own preferences. I've been reading power to the ppl and rpt makes a lot of sense. 80% is just an estimate. Goal is w.e my max is for the rpt schpeme. I think ill up calories by 200, increase duration and see hunger levels Also what do you guys do about measuring food when you eat out?
Here we go. August 28th 231lbs. 37% bodyfat Present Day 170lbs. 15% bodyfat(hydrostatic tested, 99.95% accuracy) My BMR + cals for the day that I rate as a semi active lifestyle is about 2400, I leave a deficit of 800. I consume on non workout days 1600, on running days(1 hr, 850 cals burned) I eat 1950, on workout & running days(2 hrs, 1 hr cardio, 1 hr hard lifting, 1350 cals burned) I eat 2200-2300. I burn roughly 2.5-3 lbs a week My macro's are broken down as such 50/30/20(Protein/Carbs/Fats) Minimum 8 hrs of good sleep. Usually 8-10. I eat SUPER CLEAN. like bodybuilder clean(considering my diet comes from my friend which is a IFBB pro builder.) Morning: 1 scoop Optimum Nutrition Natural Whey Protein 1 scoop Optimum Nutrition Natural Casein Protein 1 6" Banana 1/3 cup frozen strawberries 1/3 cup frozen blueberries 1 Multivitamin 1/2 cup egg whites 2 cups water 1 cup ice 1 Metamusil Cinnamon bars(for fiber) 1 cup of quaker oaks ALL IN A BLENDER!!!!!! 3 hrs later Second meal 1 4oz Chicken breast 1.5 oz of wheat pasta 4 black olives 1/4 cup of green peppers diced 1/4 cup red tomatoes diced 1/4 cup Fat free shredded cheese 1 granny smith apple 3 hrs later Third meal 1 4oz Chicken Breast 1/4 cup of pineapples 1 cup of broccoli 3 hrs later Fourth meal 1 4oz Chicken Breast 12 Almonds 3 hrs later Preworkout meail 1 Scoop Optimum Nutrition Natural Whey Protein 1/3 cup of sweet potatoes, NO SYRUP 1/2 cup fat free milk 2 hrs later Postworkout meal PBJA- 1 Slice Brownberry double fiber wheat bread 1 teaspoon unsweetened Strawberry Preserve 1 Tablespoon all natural peanut butter 1 Granny Smith Apple Shake-Blended 1/2 scoop Optimum Nutrition Natural Casein Protein 1/2 cup fat free milk 1 scoop Optimum Nutrition Natural Wheat Protein 6 almonds 1 Cup Ice 1 Cup water With this diet I get around 240grams of protein, 180-200 grams of carbs, 40grams of fat, all my vitamin nutrients and I stay below my sugar level as well as under 2500 mg of salt. I either DONT eat out or I have a program on my phone that gives me the nutritional facts for most fast food or chain restaurant foods. Try myfitnesspal.com

gort

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Seems like a sound plan. Assuming you pack your lunch every day for work? I am far too lazy to bring my lunch to work, I like to sleep as late as I can.
frown.gif

Scrumhalf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gort
Seems like a sound plan. Assuming you pack your lunch every day for work? I am far too lazy to bring my lunch to work, I like to sleep as late as I can.
frown.gif

Eating out is a recipe for disaster. Prepare to put in the work, otherwise settle for mediocre results.

Scrumhalf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by URALLMORONS
Here we go.

August 28th 231lbs. 37% bodyfat
Present Day 170lbs. 15% bodyfat(hydrostatic tested, 99.95% accuracy)

Good job. Your macros and overall Kcal targets look good. I am not convinced that you need to eat 6 meals though. That's a lot of work keeping track of minutiae and I am sure you would have got the same results if you kept the same overall Kcals and macros but only ate 3 or 4 times. Eating 6 or 7 meals like the bodybuilders do is bro-science. But hey, if it works and you can deal with it, go for it. It is just a pain ********** to do and not necessary.

gort

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Scrumhalf
Eating out is a recipe for disaster. Prepare to put in the work, otherwise settle for mediocre results.

There are certainly options to eat responsibly without bringing your lunch with you to work. If someone is going to McDonalds or Chipotle for their lunch break, then yeah it's recipe for disaster.

Scrumhalf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gort
There are certainly options to eat responsibly without bringing your lunch with you to work. If someone is going to McDonalds or Chipotle for their lunch break, then yeah it's recipe for disaster.
It is going to be really hard to keep track of your macros eating out. Some restaurants have information on what their menu items contain but most don't. If you are talking about eating out once a week, you can certainly eat clean and get away with it. But I dont' see you how are going to be able to track calories and macros eating out every day. And as we know, after a certain point, being disciplined about your macros is the name of the game.

URALLMORONS

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Scrumhalf
Good job. Your macros and overall Kcal targets look good. I am not convinced that you need to eat 6 meals though. That's a lot of work keeping track of minutiae and I am sure you would have got the same results if you kept the same overall Kcals and macros but only ate 3 or 4 times. Eating 6 or 7 meals like the bodybuilders do is bro-science. But hey, if it works and you can deal with it, go for it. It is just a pain ********** to do and not necessary.

body is hungry every 3 hrs. I tried 3-4 meals and did not as as good of as an outcome plus you want a more constant supply of protein in the blood stream. the less you eat the more you have to take in of protein per meal. Your body will only consumer so much protein into the blood stream so when you eat more then 30grams of protein per serving it just ***** it out. In a more drawn out diet you have better chance for protein uptake into the blood stream and better chance of muscle growth.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads