• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Just finished a 20 day water fast

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rach2jlc
And this was only after a 10 day fast!

Eh, did the links change in Jonas' original post.

Mr T

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mm84321
20 days was the original goal, however I feel I could have gone longer without a problem.
Is there anyone left who reads Kafka? This reminds me of The Hunger Artist. OP - this sounds like the next bad idea I am going to try. EDIT: Well I guess there are at least two people in this thread who read Kafka.

cazzzidy

Reaction score
Why are ya'll busting on this guy so hard? I applaud his determination.

The simple fact is - through history, many advanced and primitive cultures have practiced fasts for various religious, spiritual and political purposes. I admit, there is little to no evidence that fasting "purges toxins" or "heals the body." But there is also no evidence that water fasting is damaging to organs or reduces longevity.

In fact, one of the only known methods of increasing lifespan in mammals (including humans) is to deprive the organism of calories. That's well established.

Go back to gorging yourselves, working 20 hours a day, drinking scotch and smoking fine cigars (or whatever it is ya'll do around here...) and leave this guy alone.

Cassidy

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
that was nizzze of you

TintoTerra

Reaction score
I'm torn between imagining the OP as a stick thin, cracked-out jesus hermit and his critics as husky 'gym bros' with more body fat than muscle who think they've got their nutrition nailed. Either way, top thread.

Reggs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by cazzzidy

The simple fact is - through history, many advanced and primitive cultures have practiced fasts for various religious, spiritual and political purposes. I admit, there is little to no evidence that fasting "purges toxins" or "heals the body." But there is also no evidence that water fasting is damaging to organs or reduces longevity.

In fact, one of the only known methods of increasing lifespan in mammals (including humans) is to deprive the organism of calories. That's well established.

Go back to gorging yourselves, working 20 hours a day, drinking scotch and smoking fine cigars (or whatever it is ya'll do around here...) and leave this guy alone.

Cassidy

This is the dumbest thing I have ever read.

NewYorkIslander

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I just read 5 pages of crap.

Anyone who claims this is backed historically by humans doing this in the ancient past needs to remember that human life expectancy was a little different back then. But I guess their high end lifespan of 30 years was lived in a better consciousness than we do...

cjl2g

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i fasted for 10 days and it was great. you really do get a refreshed look on life and i felt as though my skin and hair were glowing at the end. near the 8th day or so i had a lot of energy and could even go jogging. i know lots of people who fast, this isn't really news. good job OP

Kark

Reaction score
mm84321;3929857 said:
I recall an excerpt from Good Calories, Bad Calories that spoke of a trial where a number of obese individuals were fasted for an entire year with taking in nothing more than vitamins and minerals. They didn't die, instead their bodies lived off their stored energy source, which is simply what fat is.

[/QUOTE

Awesome.

I figure I put on about 3lb over just the holidays. If I abandon a healthy diet, sit on my arse and eat only Junk for about 3 months I could easily achieve obesity.
then..
I don't have to eat for a year! I'll be euphoric, energetic, my organs will heal themselves, I'll be able to laugh at all the fools as I drive right by the grocery store, my skin will be soft and supple and maybe If I extend the fast past a year I'll be able to see through time!

The best part though? Definitely the 3 months of potato chips, poutine and beer to set up my year of living healthily.

WhateverYouLike

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by cazzzidy

Cassidy

Would love to see the well established sources that say not eating increases lifespan.

cold war painter

Reaction score
Originally Posted by WhateverYouLike
Would love to see the well established sources that say not eating increases lifespan.

AFAIK, it was established decades ago that caloric restriction extends lifespan in rodents and yeasts but it's still not proven in primates. Work on drugs that mimic caloric restriction is ongoing.

There are probably better sources, but a quick search turned up this abstract from Baltimore/Johns Hopkins.

Of course, that's not to say that fasting for x days is of any particular benefit.

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
starving_child-sudan2.jpg

No toxins here.

mm84321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just an update...

Since finishing my fast a week a go I can still feel the effects my body was experiencing during the fast, albeit on a lesser scale. I think my body still hasn't fully transitioned out of the fasting state, as I still have the white film on my tongue and I haven't been able to consume very large portions of food (even though I tried to on christmas night).

So far I have gained back 2 pounds.

nakedundermyclothes

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mm84321
Just an update...

Since finishing my fast a week a go I can still feel the effects my body was experiencing during the fast, albeit on a lesser scale. I think my body still hasn't fully transitioned out of the fasting state, as I still have the white film on my tongue and I haven't been able to consume very large portions of food (even though I tried to on christmas night).

So far I have gained back 2 pounds.

congrats looks like your fast gave you oral candidiasis

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads