• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread

TintoTerra

Reaction score
Anyone tried M. Micallef's Shanaan? I probably have my incense bases covered for awhile, but I'm interested in this one as well as the Gaiac by the same house.

L'Incandescent

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
ELdO Vierges et Toreros. I'm liking this one a lot. The combination of tuberose with smoky, animalic notes is really wonderful.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Creed Windsor today, from a 5ml or so decant.

It's okay.. I 'like' it, but for $600 or so for a flacon, I need for my heart to skip a beat and to be convinced my nose has cannot survive without it. That's my issue with virtually every Creed I've tried/owned... it's 'nice,' but I've never had one to stop my heart in the same way some others (Guerlain Jicky, Malle bigarade concentree, TF Black Orchid, just to name a few) have.

Creed is the Rolls-Royce pricing of scents, but I don't think many would be interested in buying a Rolls if it basically was no better than the top-end Hyundai with the "luxury" package. Creed is smart in marketing itself well, and distributing itself well enough that people willing to pay for $$$ scents think it's the best.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rach2jlc

It's okay.. I 'like' it, but for $600 or so for a flacon, I need for my heart to skip a beat and to be convinced my nose has cannot survive without it. That's my issue with virtually every Creed I've tried/owned... it's 'nice,' but I've never had one to stop my heart in the same way some others (Guerlain Jicky, Malle bigarade concentree, TF Black Orchid, just to name a few) have.

Creed is the Rolls-Royce pricing of scents, but I don't think many would be interested in buying a Rolls if it basically was no better than the top-end Hyundai with the "luxury" package. Creed is smart in marketing itself well, and distributing itself well enough that people willing to pay for $$$ scents think it's the best.

Give them more choices (montale, Villoresi, basically all the stuff on luckyscent or from the Caron/Guerlain/Lubin back catalogues) and Creed would go the way of the Dodo.

Creed's never really rung my bell. SMW is as close as they've come for me and even then the poor longevity kept me away.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Thomas
Creed's never really rung my bell. SMW is as close as they've come for me and even then the poor longevity kept me away.
Yeah, I 'like' SMW, and several others. Like everything, it just comes down to our "nose." I like scents with some wicked, weird flare, or surprises. I think we largely agree on MOSt scents, T, and also given Creed's less-than-truthful marketing and "history," they often turn me off. They hardly let the scents speak for themselves, IMHO. Creed just isn't surprising to me as a fragrance house, and stays always very "gentlemanly," which can also be a code word for boring. Ambre Canelle, I must admit, is very different, but most Creed still feels this way to me, and though I haven't done a tally recently, I've probably had 15-20 different ones, with samples/decants of most of the others. Again, for $50, I can get many nice, gentlemanly, business like scents. Chanel PM, Tiffany PM (it's close cousin), some of the classic Givenchy scents, Guerlain, etc etc etc. Why do I need $270 for "nice?" For that money, I want DAYUM!

taxgenius

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Do you have any issue with using TF Black Orchid being that it's marketed as a woman's fragrance?

Dane

Reaction score
Originally Posted by L'Incandescent
I think you two are just jealous because you'll never have as much womanity as I have. Wait, no, that didn't come out right.
redface.gif

When I hear the word womanity, my mind latches onto the "manatee" part. I don't think the marketing people at Thierry Mugler were going for that.

I do not recall your mentioning that, but I will certainly take it under advisement.

lulz @ "manatee"

Jacomo Paradox for me today from a sample. Strange, nuclear-melon thing.

Dane

Reaction score
Originally Posted by taxgenius69
Do you have any issue with using TF Black Orchid being that it's marketed as a woman's fragrance?

You didn't ask me, but I'm okay with it being women's...I'm not okay with it being Chanel Allure. Barf.

Great cucumber topnote though! I know lots of guys who wear it, it doesn't scream "woman".

hayzum

Reaction score
Today - Kublai Khan

Originally Posted by L'Incandescent
Montale Black Aoud
Perfect weather for wearing oudh, been wearing more oudh as of late. Last time this happened we had oudh week on SF.
I'd been trying for a while to observe the extraction of agarwood and was fortunate enough to witness it firsthand recently, truly fascinating.

John, I'd like to try this but not sure if I should try the old or new batch? Heard mixed reviews but prefer the packaging of the old batch.
Btw have you tired oudh from Ajmal?

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by taxgenius69
Absolutely none whatsoever. There really is nothing gendered about a scent, except its post-creation marketing/advertising to make $$$. Historically, perfume is completely unisex and the "gendering" of it is quite a recent invention. As well, what we consider "feminine" notes were mostly worn by men... notes like jasmine, rose, etc. The need to market to a specific gender comes mostly from ads/magazines/etc, and the fact that a "hit" perfume, marketed in the right way, can be a make-it-or-break-it money maker for a fashion house. Hayzum, unsure about the new/old batch of Windsor; I thought it was a new/limited release scent. My decant came from what is sold as the giant $600 flacon.

L'Incandescent

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
ELdO Antiheros today. At the top, a lavender note is masterfully blended with a note of lavender. Then in the drydown, a surpising note of lavender emerges. This is so unlike the rest of the ELdO line!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 94 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads