Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Dmax, Aug 22, 2007.

1. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

Today, btw - Cuir de Russie parfum. (Thanks Rambo!)

2. Dane

Dane Senior member

Putain des Palaces for me today.

Who was wearing this the other day? Reminded me I had a neglected bottle. Nice stuff.

3. L'Incandescent

L'Incandescent Senior member

Putain des Palaces for me today.

Who was wearing this the other day? Reminded me I had a neglected bottle. Nice stuff.

[​IMG]

What's your take on this one? I have a really hard time describing it.

Chanel No. 5 for me today.

4. TintoTerra

TintoTerra Senior member

Today C&S 88. Girlfriend's assessment - "You have terrible taste in cologne, today you smell like a soapy funeral parlour, yesterday (greylands) you smelled like an elevator full of old ladies." [​IMG] [​IMG]

Funny how my attitude is becoming, "who cares what some girl thinks if I like it." When the aim of cologne should be to attract a partner as opposed to repel them.

5. L'Incandescent

Today C&S 88. Girlfriend's assessment - "You have terrible taste in cologne, today you smell like a soapy funeral parlour, yesterday (greylands) you smelled like an elevator full of old ladies." [​IMG] [​IMG]

Funny how my attitude is becoming, "who cares what some girl thinks if I like it." When the aim of cologne should be to attract a partner as opposed to repel them.

This is one of the points on which I tend to be inflexible. Perfumery is an artform like music or literature. Many of the most compelling works of music are very difficult to "get," at least at first. But it's not the job of someone like Boulez or Lachenmann to make works that are pleasing to anyone who might hear them. It's their job to create the best works by the norms internal to their craft. Likewise with perfumery.

Descending from soapbox now. (Soapbox smells a bit like No. 88.)

6. willpower

willpower Senior member

Today C&S 88. Girlfriend's assessment - " today you smell like a soapy funeral parlour"

I like No88, yet her description is pretty accurate.

Windsor for me today.

7. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

Well, I like it as a kind of bastard love child between Cuiron and Rocabar. It disappears a little too easily, and the atomizer kinda annoys me in that it diffuses the scent too much: More into the air, less on me. But I quite like it once you take those factors out of the equation.
    +1 on all this. Its not the greatest thing in the whole world but its a nice solid man's scent. DEFINITELY worth $20
    Today, btw - Cuir de Russie parfum. (Thanks Rambo!)
    Is this your first wear of it? How did it work out?
    Today C&S 88. Girlfriend's assessment - "You have terrible taste in cologne, today you smell like a soapy funeral parlour, yesterday (greylands) you smelled like an elevator full of old ladies." [​IMG] [​IMG] Funny how my attitude is becoming, "who cares what some girl thinks if I like it." When the aim of cologne should be to attract a partner as opposed to repel them.
    Send her my way. I can't stand either one of those frags.

8. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

hah, you're becoming one of us. Mrs. T wears Amarige sometimes, despite the fact that I find it revolting. Ideally we wear things our partner thinks are nice, but sometimes we're not on the same page.

No. 88 is nice but not something I'd buy a bottle of. It's a bit too mannered and genteel.

+1 on all this. Its not the greatest thing in the whole world but its a nice solid man's scent. DEFINITELY worth $20

Is this your first wear of it? How did it work out?

Send her my way. I can't stand either one of those frags.

The CdR was splendid and lush, lasted all day and is SO much better than the EdT (of which I have a split). I think CdR might work in the summer, despite my normal inclinations - it's that well-balanced.

Today: after running in a cold drizzle and dealing with a sick dog and a troublesome boy, I went with a heavy-blanket comfort scent: Chergui

9. rach2jlc

rach2jlc Prof. Fabulous Dubiously Honored

Tabac Blond parfum for me today. I'd forgotten how wonderful this one is...

It's like what all the other funky leather scents (Cuir mauresque, Knize Ten, etc.) really want to be. [​IMG]

Also, remembered this discussion from WAY back on Basenotes where a guy somehow got a hold of the "recipe" for tabac blond. Pretty useless for mere mortals, but neat to see that there is no tobacco in Tabac Blond, but that the note comes from the combo of other stuff.

118 Perubalsam
    118 Labdangum
    114 Benzoe Siam
    118 Vanillin
    94 Cinnamonalcohol
    59 Resinoid Olibanum
    23,5 Amberoil (rectified)
    59 Jonon
    59 Moschus Keton
    35 Patchouli
    23,5 Rose Absolue
    59 Phenylethylphenylacetat So.
    35 Petitgrain Gr
    23,5 Dimethylhydrochinon
    47 Isoeugenol
    14,5 Ambrette seed oil
    _____

10. steviecakes

steviecakes Senior member

I'm in need of a recommendation.
    I've been wearing Dolce & Gabbana Pour Homme for years, and the bottle is finally running out.
    It has an instant hit of citrus, but my favorite is the underlying notes of cedar and tobacco.
    I'm looking for a fragrance that has less of the former, more of the latter, for a more err manlier scent I guess.
    I know the most important thing to do is lurk this thread and browse various B&M stores and smell as much as possible, but any quick recs to get me started would be much appreciated.

11. L'Incandescent

Andy Warhol Silver Factory for me today.

12. Baron

Baron Senior member Dubiously Honored

Yes, well worth the low price. I'll say that the dry down is superb, again it's a lot like Derby which is one of my very favorites and costs $200/bottle. Unfortunately, the top notes are mediocre and it fades rather easily.

13. Dane

Dane Senior member

[​IMG]

What's your take on this one? I have a really hard time describing it.

Chanel No. 5 for me today.

It's a basic interpretation of Jolie Madame, ie - violets & leather....but done in the Etat style, ie - slightly perverse. I quite like it.

Le Feu d'Issey for me today.

14. Master-Classter

Master-Classter Senior member

today - Rive Gauche PH. Always a winner.

15. jgold47

jgold47 Senior member

today - Rive Gauche PH. Always a winner.

one of my favorites this time of year.