Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Dmax, Aug 22, 2007.

1. rach2jlc

rach2jlc Prof. Fabulous Dubiously Honored

Creed Windsor today, from a 5ml or so decant.

It's okay.. I 'like' it, but for $600 or so for a flacon, I need for my heart to skip a beat and to be convinced my nose has cannot survive without it. That's my issue with virtually every Creed I've tried/owned... it's 'nice,' but I've never had one to stop my heart in the same way some others (Guerlain Jicky, Malle bigarade concentree, TF Black Orchid, just to name a few) have.

Creed is the Rolls-Royce pricing of scents, but I don't think many would be interested in buying a Rolls if it basically was no better than the top-end Hyundai with the "luxury" package. Creed is smart in marketing itself well, and distributing itself well enough that people willing to pay for $$$ scents think it's the best.

2. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

It's okay.. I 'like' it, but for $600 or so for a flacon, I need for my heart to skip a beat and to be convinced my nose has cannot survive without it. That's my issue with virtually every Creed I've tried/owned... it's 'nice,' but I've never had one to stop my heart in the same way some others (Guerlain Jicky, Malle bigarade concentree, TF Black Orchid, just to name a few) have.

Creed is the Rolls-Royce pricing of scents, but I don't think many would be interested in buying a Rolls if it basically was no better than the top-end Hyundai with the "luxury" package. Creed is smart in marketing itself well, and distributing itself well enough that people willing to pay for $$$ scents think it's the best.

Give them more choices (montale, Villoresi, basically all the stuff on luckyscent or from the Caron/Guerlain/Lubin back catalogues) and Creed would go the way of the Dodo.

Creed's never really rung my bell. SMW is as close as they've come for me and even then the poor longevity kept me away.

3. rach2jlc

Creed's never really rung my bell. SMW is as close as they've come for me and even then the poor longevity kept me away.
    Yeah, I 'like' SMW, and several others. Like everything, it just comes down to our "nose." I like scents with some wicked, weird flare, or surprises. I think we largely agree on MOSt scents, T, and also given Creed's less-than-truthful marketing and "history," they often turn me off. They hardly let the scents speak for themselves, IMHO. Creed just isn't surprising to me as a fragrance house, and stays always very "gentlemanly," which can also be a code word for boring. Ambre Canelle, I must admit, is very different, but most Creed still feels this way to me, and though I haven't done a tally recently, I've probably had 15-20 different ones, with samples/decants of most of the others. Again, for $50, I can get many nice, gentlemanly, business like scents. Chanel PM, Tiffany PM (it's close cousin), some of the classic Givenchy scents, Guerlain, etc etc etc. Why do I need $270 for "nice?" For that money, I want DAYUM!

4. taxgenius

taxgenius Senior member

Do you have any issue with using TF Black Orchid being that it's marketed as a woman's fragrance?

5. Dane

Dane Senior member

I think you two are just jealous because you'll never have as much womanity as I have. Wait, no, that didn't come out right. [​IMG]

When I hear the word womanity, my mind latches onto the "manatee" part. I don't think the marketing people at Thierry Mugler were going for that.

I do not recall your mentioning that, but I will certainly take it under advisement.

lulz @ "manatee"

Jacomo Paradox for me today from a sample. Strange, nuclear-melon thing.

6. Dane

Dane Senior member

Do you have any issue with using TF Black Orchid being that it's marketed as a woman's fragrance?

You didn't ask me, but I'm okay with it being women's...I'm not okay with it being Chanel Allure. Barf.

Great cucumber topnote though! I know lots of guys who wear it, it doesn't scream "woman".

7. hayzum

hayzum Senior member

Today - Kublai Khan

Montale Black Aoud
    Perfect weather for wearing oudh, been wearing more oudh as of late. Last time this happened we had oudh week on SF.
    I'd been trying for a while to observe the extraction of agarwood and was fortunate enough to witness it firsthand recently, truly fascinating.

John, I'd like to try this but not sure if I should try the old or new batch? Heard mixed reviews but prefer the packaging of the old batch.
    Btw have you tired oudh from Ajmal?

8. rach2jlc

Absolutely none whatsoever. There really is nothing gendered about a scent, except its post-creation marketing/advertising to make $$$. Historically, perfume is completely unisex and the "gendering" of it is quite a recent invention. As well, what we consider "feminine" notes were mostly worn by men... notes like jasmine, rose, etc. The need to market to a specific gender comes mostly from ads/magazines/etc, and the fact that a "hit" perfume, marketed in the right way, can be a make-it-or-break-it money maker for a fashion house. Hayzum, unsure about the new/old batch of Windsor; I thought it was a new/limited release scent. My decant came from what is sold as the giant $600 flacon.

9. hayzum

hayzum Senior member

Hayzum, unsure about the new/old batch of Windsor; I thought it was a new/limited release scent. My decant came from what is sold as the giant $600 flacon.

From here -
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/265...ch-Differences

10. rach2jlc

11. L'Incandescent

L'Incandescent Senior member

ELdO Antiheros today. At the top, a lavender note is masterfully blended with a note of lavender. Then in the drydown, a surpising note of lavender emerges. This is so unlike the rest of the ELdO line!

12. rach2jlc

ELdO Antiheros today. At the top, a lavender note is masterfully blended with a note of lavender. Then in the drydown, a surpising note of lavender emerges. This is so unlike the rest of the ELdO line!

I'm sensing a lavender theme here. [​IMG]

Tomorrow I'm back to tabac blond. Enough of this Creed diversion... (haha)

13. TintoTerra

TintoTerra Senior member

Today I'm wearing Mcgraw.. Not really. Instead I'm trying Zizan by ormonde jayne. It reminds me of another fragrance but I can't place it.

14. willpower

willpower Senior member

Windsor once again. Starting to really like this one. Far, far, far too expensive, but the Rose/Bubblegum scent is quite pleasant.

15. Theory

Theory Senior member

Creed Himalaya today..

Thinking Moss Breches tomorrow since it won't be as cold as Hoth.