• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Site Topics - Part II

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
Really, so you all really think that the solution is for him to go on making cracks about ****** my 5-y-o daughter and for me to put him on ignore?

Like I said, if that is what the Internet is, or has become, it is definitely wrong for me.

Thomas, I am being totally serious here, your post makes me sad.

Why does it make you sad? I consider it the most reasonable action when confronted by the savagely irrational. And I say this as I struggle with a O.D.D. Son.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Thomas
Why does it make you sad? I consider it the most reasonable action when confronted by the savagely irrational. And I say this as I struggle with a O.D.D. Son.

Because he shouldn't be allowed to do it at all. It's no solution. If that's what you want this forum to be, soon it will be 100% DT and worse, completely taken over by the trash. You, I am guessing, would not stay long if Metro and his sock army went after your family in the same way. It would take all of the fun out of it for you. If I am wrong, then you are more like these animals than I ever thought, which also makes me sad.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Really, so you all really think that the solution is for him to go on making cracks about ****** my 5-y-o daughter and for me to put him on ignore?

I'll say first that I damn well hope you aren't thinking of leaving the forum as you are one of the reasons I joined here.

But...I didn't read MS crossing the line nearly that far. And I say that as someone that has young kids and has met MS in the real world.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Night Owl
not liking metro is very understanable but taking your ball and going home with a big bye forum, i mean really

Mr. Mooton?

The ball is the forum, which remains. Enjoy.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Come on Manton. I really don't think that he was implying the **** of your daughter. Is that what he PM'ed you?

Redwoood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
[...]

Where did he make such remarks?

And to answer your question:
hmm, since he doesn't really mean it, and since it would prevent you from getting upset over it, and thus leave the matter to a mod to deal with, I believe that yes.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Because he shouldn't be allowed to do it at all. It's no solution. If that's what you want this forum to be, soon it will be 100% DT and worse, completely taken over by the trash. You, I am guessing, would not stay long if Metro and his sock army went after your family in the same way. It would take all of the fun out of it for you. If I am wrong, then you are more like these animals than I ever thought, which also makes me sad.

100% agree with this. Ignoring this kind of behaviour and statements is not a solution by any stretch of the imagination. Some things should be policed and punished. Unfortunately, the kind of punishment on the internet is ridiculously minor (time out) compared to the kind of punishment one would receive from acting like this IRL (a lot of pain). But that's all we can settle for and accept as appropriate punishment.

And for all the idiots who pretend they're above all this and everyone should be, stop acting like you're cool - sometimes you need to remember there's someone behind that avatar and username and despite many trying to create a persona that is meant to supercede their real person, the reality is that it is a real person acting like this. And it is real people they're talking about.

yeah I know internetz serious bizness!1! LoLz.. we get it

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Alter
I'll say first that I damn well hope you aren't thinking of leaving the forum as you are one of the reasons I joined here.

Thanks.

I am leaving. I may stick around to answer those who want to talk to me here, for a little while (or until the mods forbid any further discussion of this and ban me). But no more MC, no more CE, and no more food & wine.

I have been here since very nearly the beginning. I have been active on three fora. I stopped going to AA when its focus finally diverged too far from my own interests. I have trickled down on LL, I guess because the conversation is too slow. I stayed here because it was the most fun, because there was a greater number of interesting members, and because there was more to talk about than just clothes.

But from nearly the beginning I have had to put up with a lot of ****, a lot of trolling, a lot of on- and offline harassment, and even some physical stalking. All because of my participation here. I debated a number of times whether to stay or go. I always stayed because I calculated that I got more out of it than it took out of me. I made many, many real friends here and dozens more e-friends. I got some amazing deals. I did (I like to think) some nice favors for people and had many more nice things done for me. As much as my experience on the web brought me into contact with the worst of human nature, it also showed some of the best--for instance transactions between strangers totally based on trust that never, in my case, had a hitch.

The forum's tone and direction has been getting younger and younger, and more and more puerile and offensive. I try my best to ignore it because of what I like here and because there was no way I could do anything about it in any case. I am an old man with old man's tastes and this is a young, young enviornment.

But when I have to put up with this kind of filth, and when others defend, excuse and support it and call me thin-skinned or whatever, I have to admit to myself that it's not worth it any more. I am not longer getting more out of it than I lose from it. If the Internet is really just a big hyperlibertarian shoot-first, say-anything free-for-all, then I echo RJ's final message. You can have it.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
^ This is a really good post because it speaks to what the best of this forum was, and in some ways still it. It is getting less that way, though. Basically, while I am less likely to get upset by internet goings on than most (I had bad brothers, what can I say) I think what GDL has said in this thread is right on.

mordecai

Immoderator
Reaction score
as one of the hated 20-somethings, i'll say that despite all of the terrible posters here, i've still gotten a lot out of the forum just in the past year since I've ventured out beyond B&S. some good points from a few of you above, and from some other posters completely altered my views on a number of political and ethical matters. i doubt that i'm in the minority in that experience either. if you decide not to stay i get it, but it will seriously diminish the quality of discourse in most of the forums here. i don't agree with others who say you shouldn't be pissed, or should just ignore those you dislike, but i do agree that leaving because of them is letting them win. in any event, i hope you change your mind.

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
For ****'s sake, I miss one day of TM and all hell breaks loose.

At the very least, perhaps my presence here post-MS-ban (and Tomgirl's!) puts to rest the rather annoying MetroStyles sockpuppet rumors. I am a real person, as I welcome the mods to verify by way of IP check. Manton himself can also verify as much, having done business with me fairly recently.

At any rate, I love Manton and also enjoy MS, and today has saddened me.

Blackfyre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
any adult who allows themself to be trolled to the point of IRL anger should take a break from the internet.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads