• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

cardguy

Reaction score

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Reaction score
Trying to get a jacket similar to what Kubrick is wearing.
Cruise-Kubrick-Pollack.jpg

Vecna

Reaction score
I've read a bit about Modern Tailor but didn't find an answer to this specific question. How does the quality of their shirts compare to similarly priced BB shirts?

kashmir

Reaction score
planning to get a beater dark brown cap toe perforated suede bucks. anything good within 150 USD or is it too strict a budget? recommendations?

musicguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Vecna
I've read a bit about Modern Tailor but didn't find an answer to this specific question. How does the quality of their shirts compare to similarly priced BB shirts?

The biggest reason for MTM shirts is because OTR shirts don't fit you well. BB shirts don't fit me well enough. The ultra slim fit only comes in a very limited selection and even then it doesn't fit me perfectly. So, to ask about quality is a difficult task. I've had no problems with MT shirt quality. It's better than most, not as good as others. In the 8 shirts I own, two of them have some small problems with fusing in the collar and cuffs, but it's very minor. I don't own any BB shirts. But, for 50 bucks, you can get a custom made shirt. Hard to beat that.

musicguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What would you call this jacket? It's from the movie The Sound of Music. It's not a covert coat or a chesterfield. Is it just a jacket with velvet added to the sleeves and collar? Is that an austrian thing? Or is it a costume (movie) thing?

Sorry for the low quality pics

vlcsnap2010120513h11m38.png

vlcsnap2010120513h12m05.png

vlcsnap2010120513h11m53.png

Ianiceman

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by musicguy
What would you call this jacket? It's from the movie The Sound of Music. It's not a covert coat or a chesterfield. Is it just a jacket with velvet added to the sleeves and collar? Is that an austrian thing? Or is it a costume (movie) thing? Sorry for the low quality pics

It's an alpine thing. Clothes from that region often have odd touches like velvet or epaulettes or whatever. Check out Kokak's togs in OHMSS. They often wear a funky little trilby in green felt with feathers. Some interesting touches but a bit risky on the city streets.

musicguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ianiceman
It's an alpine thing. Clothes from that region often have odd touches like velvet or epaulettes or whatever. Check out Kokak's togs in OHMSS. They often wear a funky little trilby in green felt with feathers. Some interesting touches but a bit risky on the city streets.
Thanks for the quick response. That makes sense. Agreed that it would look too risky unless you live in a country where things like this are normal. It's interesting that the breast pocket has a flap... been seeing that on some jackets nowadays.

Yika

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Vecna

The thing about MT is that the fabrics can vary even in the same price bracket.

Archivist

Reaction score
Originally Posted by musicguy
What would you call this jacket? It's from the movie The Sound of Music. It's not a covert coat or a chesterfield. Is it just a jacket with velvet added to the sleeves and collar? Is that an austrian thing? Or is it a costume (movie) thing?

Sorry for the low quality pics

I believe it is called Steireranzug.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads