Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Master-Classter, Sep 28, 2008.

1. kitonbrioni

kitonbrioni Senior member

Oxxford overcoat
    Brioni scarf
    Portolano gloves
    Kiton three-piece suit
    Ferragamo pocket square
    CK tie
    Prada shirt
    NM belt
    Pantherella socks
    Lobb balmorals
    Creed Cologne
    Patek watch

2. benjamin831

benjamin831 Senior member

Does Drake's ever do a sale on their official website?

3. colins

colins Senior member

I'm looking for a slim, tweed sport coat that is similar to this one from Freeman's but more reasonably priced. The extra details like leather buttons, tab collars, patch pockets, interesting under collar lining, etc. are what I'm really going for, without being over the top. Suggestions? [​IMG] This is an area where I am stuck between MC and SW&D because W+H, EG, etc. make something similar to what I'm looking for but they're perhaps not conservative enough with their pieces.

4. winetasting

winetasting New Member

Can/will a tailor move the buttons on a blazer to make it a bit slimmer? I'm sure this could throw the cut of the jacket off, but I'm just talking like half a centimeter or so...

5. aj_del

aj_del Senior member

Does Drake's ever do a sale on their official website?

Yes, IIRC the next one should be in a month or 2

6. Biggskip

Biggskip Senior member

Trying to get a jacket similar to what Kubrick is wearing. [​IMG]
    Look at Filson. I think they have something similar to that. Word to the wise with Filson - size down.

7. Biggskip

Biggskip Senior member

I have shoulders that have been described as "extremely sloped". I know that the "natural shoulder" gets a lot of positive press here on SF, but given my situation would that look not work for me?

Thanks!

8. thecentennial

thecentennial Senior member

You mean like this?

[​IMG]

You can put the pin of your belt buckle through it, so the belt stays in place.

Thats the boy, thanking you sir.

9. NOBD

NOBD Senior member

You're welcome, bigt.

10. Vecna

Vecna Senior member

I was in a BB outlet trying on some things. I realized that the 34-35 sleeves, when worn alone, fit perfectly (My sleeve is a 35, 25.5 from the shoulder). However when I wore a blazer absolutely no cuff showed. The blazer sleeve length was fine (quarter inch below the wrist bone). The blazer essentially shortened the length of the sleeves (perhaps because the blazer's armholes are higher). Is the issue just that it was a 34-35 instead of a 35? Should I be buying different sleeve lengths depending in whether i'm wearing a jacket or not?

The people that worked there advise that I go for the 36-37 and use the tighter cuff button to keep it in place, but in my opinion the cuffs were then too tight, and the sleeves were unnecessarily billowy. Their second piece of advice was to have two sets of shirts, one set to wear with jackets and one set for other dress shirt wear.

11. BoomDiggs

BoomDiggs Senior member

I was in a BB outlet trying on some things. I realized that the 34-35 sleeves, when worn alone, fit perfectly (My sleeve is a 35, 25.5 from the shoulder). However when I wore a blazer absolutely no cuff showed. The blazer sleeve length was fine (quarter inch below the wrist bone). The blazer essentially shortened the length of the sleeves (perhaps because the blazer's armholes are higher). Is the issue just that it was a 34-35 instead of a 35? Should I be buying different sleeve lengths depending in whether i'm wearing a jacket or not?

The people that worked there advise that I go for the 36-37 and use the tighter cuff button to keep it in place, but in my opinion the cuffs were then too tight, and the sleeves were unnecessarily billowy. Their second piece of advice was to have two sets of shirts, one set to wear with jackets and one set for other dress shirt wear.

The likely problem isn't that the jacket arm holes are too high, but that the shirt arm holes are too low. Instead of getting two sets of shirts (not a surprising suggestion from a salesman) I would focus on getting one set of well fitting shirts.

I have never tried on a BB shirt, so I can't compare the quality, but the cottonwork shits (affiliate) work well in my opinion and one is able to get a fairly high arm hole as compared to RTW for that that much money. That is where I would go.

12. Troilus

Troilus Senior member

Just bought a BB suit separate jacket because the price was right. Looking at the trousers, the store online has a pair of size 31 trousers for a very reasonable price ($69). I'm a size 32, however.

Should I buy the size 31 and take them to a tailor to have them let out, or should I wait until 32s are available (they are backordered until at least February, but I'm in no hurry to buy them)?

13. JamesX

JamesX Senior member

Just bought a BB suit separate jacket because the price was right. Looking at the trousers, the store online has a pair of size 31 trousers for a very reasonable price ($69). I'm a size 32, however.

Should I buy the size 31 and take them to a tailor to have them let out, or should I wait until 32s are available (they are backordered until at least February, but I'm in no hurry to buy them)?

If you are in no hurry, wait for the right sized pants.

14. Tim_Whatley

Tim_Whatley Senior member

15. Nicola

Nicola Senior member

I have shoulders that have been described as "extremely sloped". I know that the "natural shoulder" gets a lot of positive press here on SF, but given my situation would that look not work for me?

Thanks!

Does it bother you? Honest question. You're asking if something that will look natural is okay? Only you can answer if it would be okay.

Personally I'd lean towards something that would balance things out but others don't believe in trying to hide/correct things like this.