1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Master-Classter, Sep 28, 2008.

1. IsteRed

IsteRed Senior member

yes it is a requirement to have a tie would a solid black one be ok? also i looked up the chukka boots and didnt really like them would these be ok?....
    [​IMG]
    or
    [​IMG]

Well i don't think black tie will be good with brown belt and shoes,i'm not a tie expert but i think solid dark navy or dark purple will work.Regarding the shoes,no I wouldn't wear those,you are looking for classic clothes in skating/streetwear clothes brands,that won't work,just MHO.

2. corona951

corona951 Member

Hi im in highschool and looking for a simple concert dress clothes i got the shirt and pants picked out im just not sure what kind of tie, shoes, belt, and socks i should wear.
    this is what i have so far...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Well there's a lot of things you could do here

First choose your shoe colour- you could do black or brown but a cognac/tan burnished brown colour.
    You could even do a boat shoe in brown

Belt- you could match your shoes or go with a striped/ patterned belt in blue/red.

Ties- yellow tie, navy striped tie, red tie, or any combo there of plaid blue/red etc...

You could also add a navy blazer/sport coat or cardigan

Or a gray cardigan

3. mktitsworth

mktitsworth Senior member

Can't seem to find the answer to this in threads, and it's not a big question:

I'm thinking of trying to go MTM/bespoke for my dress shirts. My usual B&M does them and I'm around Q Custom Clothier. Is there usually a minimum order for such things (at the very least not to be rude)? I saw that Despos has a 4 shirt minimum.

4. noob in 89

noob in 89 Senior member

So can someone explain the size differences between Zegna shirt labels?

My old large shirts -- labeled 'Ermenegildo Zegna' and 'medium', 'large', etc.-- seem almost TTS. My new shirts, which feagure the full 'Ermenegildo Zegna' name, but with a large gray 'Z' behind it, are mediums -- but are either as big or bigger than my old large shirts. I thought I was buying the new, slimmer 'Z Zegna' line, but I see now that that label doesn't feature the designer's full name.

I'm not finding this in the searches. Have I exhausted the labels, or will I encounter more if I'm buying used or vintage? Is there a thread or web site? Ack!

5. xchen

xchen Senior member

Need to figure out socks for a wedding in a few weeks (not my wedding).

Wearing a navy cotton suit, white pocket square with black border, black pindot tie, white OCBD, and a pair of brown dress shoes. I generally wear charcoal gray socks with everything, so I don't have anything else other than this. I don't mind fun socks, and hopefully will be playing down the formalness of the fit a bit so doesn't have to be i-Banker status.

Any advice is appreciated.

6. acekerman

acekerman Member

I've been looking for years. I'm really looking for who makes this! Please help. Thanks! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. MalfordOfLondon

MalfordOfLondon Senior member

Not sure but I know Jude Law modeled a lot for Dunhill so it's possible it might be from there.

8. KVH

KVH Member

I'm looking to buy a pair of nice professional black dress shoes and I'm wondering what kind of "toe" I should buy. I'm a shorter guy (5'9") with a muscular build. I've read somewhere that short guys should buy squared off toes but I've also read that cap-toed dress shoes are the gold-standard for professional dress shoes. I also don't want something too pointy. Any tips?

9. noob in 89

noob in 89 Senior member

Square-toed shoes are vilified here; especially those Kenneth Cole monstrosities. Regardless, if your aim is to look professional, I would avoid them.

I guess cap-toes could, theoretically, be pointy...

But you should be fine with anyghing that is not square. Allen Edmonds shoes are generally recomended as a reliable shoe, and a reliable starting point into the upper end of things. Check out their web site. Most everything business-y looking should be just fine.

10. chevron

chevron Well-Known Member

Everybody makes that jacket.

11. Timbaland

Timbaland Senior member

Hey guys. Which of the cheaper MTM shirt services is the best bang for the buck? I remember reading reviews for modern tailor and some others but I can't remember the names of the other shirt services to search for the threads. I'm in need of a white dress shirt (not sheer) and I have a large neck so I need to go MTM.

Also how is the quality of fabric of these sites in comparison to say Brooks Brothers? Thanks for any help.

12. acekerman

acekerman Member

But not that jacket. The details are important.

13. wetnose

wetnose Senior member

Hey guys. Which of the cheaper MTM shirt services is the best bang for the buck? I remember reading reviews for modern tailor and some others but I can't remember the names of the other shirt services to search for the threads. I'm in need of a white dress shirt (not sheer) and I have a large neck so I need to go MTM.

Also how is the quality of fabric of these sites in comparison to say Brooks Brothers? Thanks for any help.

I've had lots of success with mytailor.com. Good stiff collar, holds up well. Fabric - hard to say since they have so many options - can't really compare. Can't go wrong with Thomas Mason though.

14. wetnose

wetnose Senior member

Need to figure out socks for a wedding in a few weeks (not my wedding).

Wearing a navy cotton suit, white pocket square with black border, black pindot tie, white OCBD, and a pair of brown dress shoes. I generally wear charcoal gray socks with everything, so I don't have anything else other than this. I don't mind fun socks, and hopefully will be playing down the formalness of the fit a bit so doesn't have to be i-Banker status.

Any advice is appreciated.

So blue pants and brown shoes? On a fun occasion? I suggest lime green or bright purple.

15. KVH

KVH Member

Square-toed shoes are vilified here; especially those Kenneth Cole monstrosities. Regardless, if your aim is to look professional, I would avoid them. I guess cap-toes could, theoretically, be pointy... But you should be fine with anyghing that is not square. Allen Edmonds shoes are generally recomended as a reliable shoe, and a reliable starting point into the upper end of things. Check out their web site. Most everything business-y looking should be just fine.
    I'm a little unsure as to what constitutes as a "square" toe. Is this a square toe: [​IMG] Would these two be too pointy, and are they still considered "square toed"?: [​IMG] [​IMG] Thanks

16. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Not sure but I know Jude Law modeled a lot for Dunhill so it's possible it might be from there.

Funny you said that - I have a jacket that looks EXACTLY like that by Dunhill. Just a softer leather.

And yes, everyone else and their mother makes that jacket.

17. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

as a matter of fact i make that jacket please pm for price and details

18. mktitsworth

mktitsworth Senior member

Hey, another: Gunboats and longwings: Synonyms?

19. acekerman

acekerman Member

So one should just buy any jacket and wear any jeans and any boots with it. Wow who knew fashion so easy.

20. SirGrotius

SirGrotius Senior member

It helps to look like Jude Law.