• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

dropout5

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nicola
Does it bother you? Honest question. You're asking if something that will look natural is okay? Only you can answer if it would be okay.

Personally I'd lean towards something that would balance things out but others don't believe in trying to hide/correct things like this.

i would also lean towards balancing out if it really is "extreme."

--Jonas--

Reaction score
Hi,
I have a shirt that has an interchangeable button strip, i.e. there is a piece of cloth with buttons attached that is buttoned through both sides of the shirt. This is not a tux shirt.
What is this for and where does this come from?
Thanks

NOBD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kermitkebab
Coats are made long in the sleeves for alteration purposes, just like jackets. Just most folks don't alter their coat sleeves.

Yes, and I would have them altered (if necessary) longer than my jacket sleeves. (Or just have them made like that in the first place.)

DVS75

Reaction score
Question

How one can measure a suit to find out its actual size? In other words, what is, for example 46 inches, if the label shows 46?

Thank you.

BoomDiggs

Reaction score
Originally Posted by DVS75
Question

How one can measure a suit to find out its actual size? In other words, what is, for example 46 inches, if the label shows 46?

Thank you.

The 46 references one's chest (measured around your body under your arms). However, just because a suit is a size 46 doesn't mean that this part of the suit is 46 inches around. The actual size of a size 46 will vary based upon brand. For example, my suit size is anywere from a 48-52 depending on the brand.

ILikeBacon

Reaction score
I have a neck which is just a bit over 15".

All shirts with 15" necks are way to big for me. If it weren't for the shoulders also being too big I would just buy the shirt and tailor the rest but the shoulders are too wide as well.

Guess my question is, in general, what is more important to the fit of the shirt. The shoulders or the neck?

Gewehr

Reaction score
I have a lint problem, my black pinstripe suit gets alot of it and by midday it looks dirty. Is there anything i can do to either avoid it or remove the lint effectively?

acecow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ILikeBacon
I have a neck which is just a bit over 15".

All shirts with 15" necks are way to big for me. If it weren't for the shoulders also being too big I would just buy the shirt and tailor the rest but the shoulders are too wide as well.

Guess my question is, in general, what is more important to the fit of the shirt. The shoulders or the neck?

Both shoulders and neck measurements are important. If one doesn't fit, then the shirt isn't for you. Find a different brand or try MTM.

Gewehr

Reaction score
Originally Posted by kermitkebab
Those sticky tape lint rollers work real well for me. Great for cat hair too.
Thnx ill try that

mrguy2039

Reaction score
Hi there,

I am looking at getting the "too loud" shirt here (http://tinyurl.com/sigurshirt). When you click add to cart, the only size I think would fit me is "XS 32". Does this mean that the chest size is 32 inches?
And how accurate does that need to be?
I'm not a hundred percent sure of how to measure chest size (any pointers would be handy), but I think I'm between 31.5 inches and possibly up to 33.1 inches... Would an inch or two too large or small make a heap of difference (bearing in mind that I;m a teenager and am likely to grow at some point in my life)?

thanks in advance...

drunkentiger

Reaction score
Can I take in the sides of this suit jacket? everything else fits perfectly. The tailor that altered the suit for me says she can't take in the sides anymore without ruining the fit.
2010-12-07212929-1.jpg
This second picture is with me holding out the back a bit.
2010-12-07212952-1.jpg
I think it looks better in the second pic... any suggestions? Should I try another tailor?

Newstyle

Reaction score
Macy's is having a one day sale tomorrow and their club room cashmere v neck sweaters are going to be on sale for $59, worth it? I can't afford BB or RL. Is the cashmere that low of quality?

aj_del

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a suede jacket and when I wear it, it leaves a suede piling residue (dont know what else to call it) on my shirt / sweater. Its OK with shirts since they are washed after every wear but if you are wearing a light colored cashmere sweater, its much more bothersome. Any solutions ?
FH10.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 83 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.1%

Forum statistics

Threads