• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

World Cup 2018/2022

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Reaction score
How about a wake up call that no one gives a **** about soccer and people should quit trying to force its popularity in the US.

It's like the damn WNBA, an idiotic sport that someone in the media has decided we should care about.

Forget the World Cup and let's focus on real sports like Football, Basketball and Baseball.

Soccer, the metric system and communism are all anti-American!

delakingois

Reaction score
Today Fifa kicked racism back into football.

Should have gone to Spain/Portugal and Australia.

StephenHero

Black Floridian
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NewYorkRanger
Its just an all too common American attitude that just because its America, its great. We planned a World Cup with NO NEW STADIUMS, NO NEW TECHNOLOGY, and we were up against a nation that will air condition the pitch, and build 10 new ones. Look at AMerican education...we're lagging behind many other socialized nations. Why?
down+arrow.jpg
Originally Posted by An ACTUAL TEACHER
I think for America this should be a wake-up call, not just in the realm of sport. Our bid was riding the coattails of 1994 and our reputation as a dominant figure on the global stage. If we don't wake up and get our asses in gear with what the rest of the world is doing (advancing) we're gonna be the newest third world country in 100 years. Its just an all too common American attitude that just because its America, its great. We planned a World Cup with NO NEW STADIUMS, NO NEW TECHNOLOGY, and we were up against a nation that will air condition the pitch, and build 10 new ones.

frenchy

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bradford
How about a wake up call that no one gives a **** about soccer and people should quit trying to force its popularity in the US.

It's like the damn WNBA, an idiotic sport that someone in the media has decided we should care about.

Forget the World Cup and let's focus on real sports like Football, Basketball and Baseball.

Soccer, the metric system and communism are all anti-American!

typical american response...newsflash: THERES A WHOLE DIFFERENT WORLD OUTSIDE THE BORDERS OF THE U.S of A

frenchy

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by delakingois
Today Fifa kicked racism back into football.

Should have gone to Spain/Portugal and Australia.

agree spain/portugal atmosphere wise would have been awesome..plus they need the money

appolyon

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Meanwhile has everyone seen the
facepalm.gif
inducing video that made up the Aussie bid?

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

clockwise

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
All very encouraging. Russia and Qatar are two fine fine places with fine fine footballing future. England and the USA have hosted the World Cup already and will just have to wait a bit longer, into the 2030s as it now looks. The game plan was to bring football to more countries. Qatar is representative of Middle East / the Arabic world. Russia is the biggest country on earth.

scarphe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by frenchy
typical american response...newsflash: THERES A WHOLE DIFFERENT WORLD OUTSIDE THE BORDERS OF THE U.S of A
but he is right from a gringo´s perspective.. we can have football but the us can have homoerotic us football and and baskeball.. honestly the us grasp on baseball is questionable. to be realistic baseball is more latin american than america, jsut looking at the world cup.

Scrumhalf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by scarphe
honestly the us grasp on baseball is questionable. to be realistic baseball is more latin american than america, jsut looking at the world cup.

Not quite sure I am following the logic here. Baseball is quintessentially American. What you are opining is a bit like saying that hockey is not Canadian because the Swedes and Finns have won WCs and Olympics and have a significant presence in the NHL.

frenchy

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Scrumhalf
Not quite sure I am following the logic here. Baseball is quintessentially American. What you are opining is a bit like saying that hockey is not Canadian because the Swedes and Finns have won WCs and Olympics and have a significant presence in the NHL.

actually the british invented baseball,it was called rounders look it up.
british soldiers also invented hockey,but they played it in canada.
speaking of canada they invented basketball...so you guys basically got nothing going for you

StephenHero

Black Floridian
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Scrumhalf
What you are opining is a bit like saying that hockey is not Canadian because the Swedes and Finns have won WCs and Olympics and have a significant presence in the NHL.

Or that soccer is.....Qatari.

NoVaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
An ?espn? commentator mentioned that there's also the possibility that FIFA views the USA as the backup site for all these non-european world cups - they've done a last minute relocation before, back in 2003, for the Women's World Cup when China was having its SARs problem. But that was half as many teams, I think.

I am now personally hoping that Brazil flakes out and 2014 is relocated to the USA. Went to a match back in 1994 (got to watch the worst possible matchup) and would do multiple games if it happens.

StephenHero

Black Floridian
Reaction score
Who is favored for 2026? I don't see why we couldn't win that.

Dewi

Reaction score
Originally Posted by StephenHero
Who is favored for 2026? I don't see why we couldn't win that.

I'd be surprised if 2026 wasn't back in Europe. They seem to do a Europe, other continent, Europe, other continent rotation, or at least they have done since Sweden hosted in 1958.

Dewi

Reaction score
Originally Posted by embowafa
WALKING distance? how about crawling distance.

They're going to have a complex with 3 stadiums in one area. So stupid.

BTW, Korea/Japan also had a bid for 2022. Too close to 2002, IMO.

Korea and Japan launched separate bids for 2022, fwiw.

(Your statement read to me like you thought it was a joint bid)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads