• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Thomas
Weird to hear this, although I guess not too surprising. The funny thing is that (pardon the geek moment here) most of the recent masculines have been composed by different people: Beatrice Piquet composed L'Instant, Tierry Wasser composed Homme, and funny enough, Jean-Paul Guerlain came out of retirement specifically to compose the next masculines (Dandy and Voyou) because he thought Wasser didn't yet understand what a Guerlain was supposed to smell like.
At this point, I think J-P Guerlain has pretty well run his course, and if they had been smart they would have hung on to Mathilde Laurent when she worked for him and made her the head perfumer.

that's just my thoughts based on a couple of sniffs and single wearing, and I usually reserve my judgement on any Guerlain until I've at least worn it a few times, but TBH I just didn't like much about those two from the start. hopefully they'll get back on track at some point. There's still plenty of old ones I haven't gone through yet.
Originally Posted by Rambo
Trying out the new SMN scents today. First up - Acqua di Cuba. Jesus I smell like a 60 year old latin guy. Not sure if I like this or not.
isn't that the one that sort of smells like a light version of TFTV? sort of tobacco with vanille in there somewhere?
Originally Posted by Hartmann
Also, recently I tried all the frags D&G released in 2009, they were all terrible. I don't think they have a single good frag in their lineup.
This was on Bloor, right? What was the crowd like?

I haven't heard anyone say anything good about that anthology. D&G's sort of a weird house with regard to fragrance. They've got a random mix, some are ok (I actually wear the PH a lot when I can't figure out what else to wear).
Yep, that was the event a the Guerlain boutique. I think there only are 2-3 in Canada. I arrived about an hour late (that's fashionable, non?) and it was probably about 20 various people mingling. Had a little bubbly and chatted with some peoples including a very cute girl working there and that was about it. Nothing fantastic, but it was still fun.

today... I think I may wear Knize Ten. I don't usually like leather scents but this one really really surprised me. I wore it once and was blown away with the longevity and the smell. I almost decided right away to get a bottle but I've got to try it again just to make sure it's love and not lust.

L'Incandescent

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Secretions Magnifiques, which I overapplied. Just because I was in that kind of mood. No one I've encountered has vomited yet.

UPDATE: The young woman who took my order at Starbucks just said "You smell good!" I wanted to say "Really, are you sure?", but I thought that might insult the lady who was kind enough to give me a compliment.

Dane

Reaction score
Originally Posted by L'Incandescent
Secretions Magnifiques, which I overapplied. Just because I was in that kind of mood. No one I've encountered has vomited yet.

UPDATE: The young woman who took my order at Starbucks just said "You smell good!" I wanted to say "Really, are you sure?", but I thought that might insult the lady who was kind enough to give me a compliment.

Ha! Interesting...I'd like a bottle of SM.

Wearing Amouage Gold...lovely drydown.

TintoTerra

Reaction score
Wearing Clive Christian 'C' for men. Girlfriend thinks it smells like antique furniture and is a little unpleasant. I think it smells like a homeless man sleeping in a humidor. I like it.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Master-Classter
isn't that the one that sort of smells like a light version of TFTV? sort of tobacco with vanille in there somewhere?
Not this one. Like Thomas said its very similar to C&S Cuba and a much more old man version of Havana. They've got a leather scent in the lineup somewhere. I think I got a sample of it in my baggie. FM Musc Ravageur today. I'm getting more vanilla today and less powder which is the opposite of what I got last time. Maybe I need to shake the samples.
confused.gif

L'Incandescent

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Started today with ELdO Vraie Blonde. I just can't make myself like it, though. It actually makes me a little bit nauseated. So I scrubbed it off and went with TF Black Orchid instead.

Notreknip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
M-C, where were you planning to source the Knize Ten? I'd be very interested in 5-10ml or so if you'd be willing to decant some out for me for a fair price? Assuming you go for it eventually. K10, AdP CI, and PdN NY were the three that I was secretely hoping to sniff out of the swap box. None came to be however.

TintoTerra

Reaction score
Would anyone be willing to recommend me something that has a darker, more unusual scent to it? I want to smell good, just not like everyone else. Masculine and dark, without the synthetic alcoholy smell you sometimes get. Feel free to pm me if you don't want to junk up the thread. Thanks.

willpower

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Abliss
Hmm, Le Labo - Rose 31... A dark masculine rose - kind of unsual in the good way
smile.gif

Rose 31 is great. Lots of cedar and sandalwood as well in that one as well. The rose in Rose 31 is very dirty rather than smelling like a fresh rose flower.

L'Incandescent

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by willpower
Rose 31 is great. Lots of cedar and sandalwood as well in that one as well. The rose in Rose 31 is very dirty rather than smelling like a fresh rose flower.

Le Labo should pay you! You're such a committed advocate for this fragrance!

Rose 31 really is an excellent fragrance, though. I was looking over Turin and Sanchez's Perfume Guide the other day and noticed that they gave it one star. I was shocked. I don't wear Rose 31 a lot because it just doesn't feel like "me." But I can't imagine someone denying that it's a great fragrance.

I'm not sure I'd call Rose 31 dark, though. C&S No. 88 and Dark Rose are darker roses. Also Montale Black Aoud.

willpower

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by L'Incandescent
Le Labo should pay you! You're such a committed advocate for this fragrance!
LOL. I know, part of it is due to the incredibly cute girls in lab coats mixing the juice up right in front of you.
smile.gif
I love the biting cedar/sandalwood drydown - a bit like Tam Dao but more complex. And it fits the "it never rains in...Southern... California" climate. I guess Green Irish Tweed could be considered "dark" as well.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TintoTerra
Would anyone be willing to recommend me something that has a darker, more unusual scent to it? I want to smell good, just not like everyone else. Masculine and dark, without the synthetic alcoholy smell you sometimes get. Feel free to pm me if you don't want to junk up the thread. Thanks.

Originally Posted by Abliss
Hmm, Le Labo - Rose 31... A dark masculine rose - kind of unsual in the good way
smile.gif

Also from Le Labo: Oud 27.

TintoTerra

Reaction score
Thanks for all the recommendations. Have a few samples headed to me now. I can see this becoming addictive...
laugh.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 103 36.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 103 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.5%

Forum statistics

Threads