Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Dmax, Aug 22, 2007.

1. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

So, I was right. Wore Shaal Nur today. Kind of a light vanilla/incense vibe. Nice, probably not worth a full buy, maybe a decant for a summer evening. If I was looking for sexy vanilla I'd probably stick with Bvlgari Black.

Funny, Shaal Nur is the only Etro I've tried that I've then bought (and kept). Although, Sandalo seemed really really good as well, but I've never been all that big on sandalwood for its own sake.

today, a light spritz of GIT. This evening i went to a new fragrance launch at the local Guerlain Boutique.

Was this for the new Arsene Lupin scents? (Voyou and Dandy) - Did you get to try them? I'd considered Dandy for sampling, but the price turned me off completely.

Today: the first decently cold morning had me in a tizzy about what to wear! So many choices, so few days in which to wear them!!! OMG!!!

I ended up wearing Tea for Two. Hadn't worn that one in forever.

2. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

Funny, Shaal Nur is the only Etro I've tried that I've then bought (and kept). Although, Sandalo seemed really really good as well, but I've never been all that big on sandalwood for its own sake.
    I'm just pretty underwhelmed with the entire Etro line. Don't get me wrong, they're all nice, but I have yet to find any of them to be wardrobe worthy. If I had to choose one out of the samples I've tried so far it would be Shaal Nur.

3. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

I'm just pretty underwhelmed with the entire Etro line. Don't get me wrong, they're all nice, but I have yet to find any of them to be wardrobe worthy. If I had to choose one out of the samples I've tried so far it would be Shaal Nur.

The thing that workd for me about Shaal Nur is that it's a summery, affable, easy-wearing incense - and I find it well-balanced between the incense, vetiver, and vanilla - which is really unusual. Most of the incenses I've tried are either spare and dry, or overloaded with amber to the point where you want to get out from under them. Both serve their purpose in wintertime...but in summer they're wildly out of their element.

4. Dane

Dane Senior member

Shaal Nur is deceptively good...there's not much to it, but it has lots of subtle complexities, and ends up being something you reach for often. It's slowly moved its way up my list and now I don't think I could be without a bottle.

Wearing Honore des Pres' Vamp a NY today. Received in a blind-swap...not really my thing...tropical, heady tuberose. Fun though...and all natural, which I guess says something for it.

5. Master-Classter

Master-Classter Senior member

Was this for the new Arsene Lupin scents? (Voyou and Dandy) - Did you get to try them? I'd considered Dandy for sampling, but the price turned me off completely.
    yep, it was for those two. I must say, I think they're rather UNGuerlainish. So much so that I originally thought they were some sort of collaboration, or launch from some other artist or something. The one has a strong violet note, which after Grey Flannel, just makes me a bit nauseous, and the other based on a sniff is a sort of woody thing. Not overly interesting.

I can't help but feel like between Homme, L'Instant, and now these two, they've moved from being thick dense heavy complex frags to rather light airy watery ones.

Today, Ambre Sultan. I still don't really like it. There's some sort of herbal medicinal thing that I find detracting and I'd rather be wearing Ford's.

6. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

yep, it was for those two. I must say, I think they're rather UNGuerlainish. So much so that I originally thought they were some sort of collaboration, or launch from some other artist or something. The one has a strong violet note, which after Grey Flannel, just makes me a bit nauseous, and the other based on a sniff is a sort of woody thing. Not overly interesting.

I can't help but feel like between Homme, L'Instant, and now these two, they've moved from being thick dense heavy complex frags to rather light airy watery ones.

(...)

Weird to hear this, although I guess not too surprising. The funny thing is that (pardon the geek moment here) most of the recent masculines have been composed by different people: Beatrice Piquet composed L'Instant, Tierry Wasser composed Homme, and funny enough, Jean-Paul Guerlain came out of retirement specifically to compose the next masculines (Dandy and Voyou) because he thought Wasser didn't yet understand what a Guerlain was supposed to smell like.

At this point, I think J-P Guerlain has pretty well run his course, and if they had been smart they would have hung on to Mathilde Laurent when she worked for him and made her the head perfumer.

7. cairomerta

cairomerta Senior member

Last edited: Mar 12, 2012

8. L'Incandescent

L'Incandescent Senior member

TF Amber Absolute.

9. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

Trying out the new SMN scents today. First up - Acqua di Cuba. Jesus I smell like a 60 year old latin guy. Not sure if I like this or not.

10. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

^^Funny enough that also describes the C&S Cuba for me as well. I didn't like it.

today, for a Saturday at the office: Giorgio for Men.

11. Hartmann

Hartmann Senior member

Yesterday: Terre d'HermÃ[​IMG]s. Today: ??? Maybe Egoiste.

Also, recently I tried all the frags D&G released in 2009, they were all terrible. I don't think they have a single good frag in their lineup.

today, a light spritz of GIT. This evening i went to a new fragrance launch at the local Guerlain Boutique.

This was on Bloor, right? What was the crowd like?

12. Master-Classter

Master-Classter Senior member

Weird to hear this, although I guess not too surprising. The funny thing is that (pardon the geek moment here) most of the recent masculines have been composed by different people: Beatrice Piquet composed L'Instant, Tierry Wasser composed Homme, and funny enough, Jean-Paul Guerlain came out of retirement specifically to compose the next masculines (Dandy and Voyou) because he thought Wasser didn't yet understand what a Guerlain was supposed to smell like.
    At this point, I think J-P Guerlain has pretty well run his course, and if they had been smart they would have hung on to Mathilde Laurent when she worked for him and made her the head perfumer.

that's just my thoughts based on a couple of sniffs and single wearing, and I usually reserve my judgement on any Guerlain until I've at least worn it a few times, but TBH I just didn't like much about those two from the start. hopefully they'll get back on track at some point. There's still plenty of old ones I haven't gone through yet.
    Trying out the new SMN scents today. First up - Acqua di Cuba. Jesus I smell like a 60 year old latin guy. Not sure if I like this or not.
    isn't that the one that sort of smells like a light version of TFTV? sort of tobacco with vanille in there somewhere?
    Also, recently I tried all the frags D&G released in 2009, they were all terrible. I don't think they have a single good frag in their lineup.
    This was on Bloor, right? What was the crowd like?

I haven't heard anyone say anything good about that anthology. D&G's sort of a weird house with regard to fragrance. They've got a random mix, some are ok (I actually wear the PH a lot when I can't figure out what else to wear).
    Yep, that was the event a the Guerlain boutique. I think there only are 2-3 in Canada. I arrived about an hour late (that's fashionable, non?) and it was probably about 20 various people mingling. Had a little bubbly and chatted with some peoples including a very cute girl working there and that was about it. Nothing fantastic, but it was still fun.

today... I think I may wear Knize Ten. I don't usually like leather scents but this one really really surprised me. I wore it once and was blown away with the longevity and the smell. I almost decided right away to get a bottle but I've got to try it again just to make sure it's love and not lust.

13. L'Incandescent

L'Incandescent Senior member

Secretions Magnifiques, which I overapplied. Just because I was in that kind of mood. No one I've encountered has vomited yet.

UPDATE: The young woman who took my order at Starbucks just said "You smell good!" I wanted to say "Really, are you sure?", but I thought that might insult the lady who was kind enough to give me a compliment.

14. Dane

Dane Senior member

Secretions Magnifiques, which I overapplied. Just because I was in that kind of mood. No one I've encountered has vomited yet.

UPDATE: The young woman who took my order at Starbucks just said "You smell good!" I wanted to say "Really, are you sure?", but I thought that might insult the lady who was kind enough to give me a compliment.

Ha! Interesting...I'd like a bottle of SM.

Wearing Amouage Gold...lovely drydown.

15. TintoTerra

TintoTerra Senior member

Wearing Clive Christian 'C' for men. Girlfriend thinks it smells like antique furniture and is a little unpleasant. I think it smells like a homeless man sleeping in a humidor. I like it.