• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask a Question, Get an Answer - ask all quick questions here

crosswound

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
wondering why blue in green takes the sweet mother of time to just actually physically attempt to ship out your package.

whiskeybeard

Reaction score
As New England gets colder my search for a fall jacket becomes more pressing. I'm looking for something pretty simple, classic, kinda warm, kinda weatherproof to hold me down between now and winter coat weather. On most of these counts I like Barbour jackets, but frankly they're not slim enough for me (or if slim enough, too short in the arms.)

So, I was wondering if anyone had suggestions for something in a similar vein but a little more fitted (I'm 6'0" 40 chest ~178lbs FWIW.) Wax cotton is actually not a necessity, just a thought that makes sense in New England fall. Thanks guys.

ghdvfddzgzdzg

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lokesh
I did actually try... Couldn't find anything useful. Some comparisons of sizing in regards to other jeans, but not a true measurement of the mic rigid... I think I better play safe and go tts...
Would Acne Mic rigids be worth $80 new? Or can they be found cheaper? I haven't managed to find cheaper yet...

I have some mic rigids i paid $80 for, new. I'd say it's worth it. The fades happen but aren't crazy, kind of gray/white. I'd say buy a tag size that is 2 under your favorite pair of jeans' real waist. I actually went too far--got a tagged 27 b/c it was available that is now somewhere just larger than a true 29", and I would have rather had a pair that ended up measuring to around a true 30. sizing like I did will be real snug, if you're into it, but it will be hell on the zipper. Mine broke around 6 months (i got my tailor to put a new one in.)

Lokesh

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ghdvfddzgzdzg
I have some mic rigids i paid $80 for, new. I'd say it's worth it. The fades happen but aren't crazy, kind of gray/white. I'd say buy a tag size that is 2 under your favorite pair of jeans' real waist. I actually went too far--got a tagged 27 b/c it was available that is now somewhere just larger than a true 29", and I would have rather had a pair that ended up measuring to around a true 30. sizing like I did will be real snug, if you're into it, but it will be hell on the zipper. Mine broke around 6 months (i got my tailor to put a new one in.)

Thanks for the input, that really helped! So you are saying that you got them to stretch 2 sizes?? I heard the Acne raws were hard to get stretched to even one size up!

Lokesh

Reaction score
Also does anyone loop their belts through the leather pactch in their jeans instead of over it?

tit_tyrant

Reaction score
Could anyone please give me a thigh measurement for Levis 511's? A size 31-33 would be preferable. I haven't been able to find any thigh measurements using Google, unfortunately.

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tit_tyrant
Could anyone please give me a thigh measurement for Levis 511's? A size 31-33 would be preferable. I haven't been able to find any thigh measurements using Google, unfortunately.
Oi Polloi has some but they're a bit all over the place. Best bet might be to email levi's direct.

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Gagno905
I really need some help finding some slim fitting outerwear. I'm an XS and haven't ever really found anything too small for me. I really love this geller bomber, but I'm not sure about it. Any other suggestions? Price isn't an issue now. http://www.ssense.com/men/product/ro...l_bomber/28071 Help me out!
You might want to consider going Japanese since their brands are prone to size small. That or go made-to-measure. ToJ might work for you, too.

softy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
what is a reasonable price to expect to pay secondhand for an uncomplicated MMM line 10/14 sweater, nothing fancy or grail status? $2-300?

KitAkira

Wait! Wait! I gots an opinion!
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
$125 would be a stretch. The cotton, cotton-wool and wool-cashmeres are easy to find at $1xx brand new

softy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
oh word
i didn't mean one of the standard v-necks or crewnecks though, maybe something slightly embellished
not the leather elbow patch guys

clarksdb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whiskeybeard
As New England gets colder my search for a fall jacket becomes more pressing. I'm looking for something pretty simple, classic, kinda warm, kinda weatherproof to hold me down between now and winter coat weather. On most of these counts I like Barbour jackets, but frankly they're not slim enough for me (or if slim enough, too short in the arms.)

So, I was wondering if anyone had suggestions for something in a similar vein but a little more fitted (I'm 6'0" 40 chest ~178lbs FWIW.) Wax cotton is actually not a necessity, just a thought that makes sense in New England fall. Thanks guys.

Living in Toronto, Canada I am in the same situation as you. Wanting something good for the winter. At first I was thinking a leather jacket then I realized there is no point of going cheap on a leather jacket...you want the real thing. I cant drop $1500 for a belstaff as I'm just a student. So I decided I will just buy a $1500 leather jacket in the future hopefully.

I've decided I'll go with a peacoat now. By the time I get older and get the leather I'll then have a peacoat, trench and hopefully barbour as well. I think thats all you need. So ya maybe you should consider a peacoat?

Abliss

Reaction score
Anyone know what size the J.Crew Macallister runs compared to Clarks Desert boot?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads