Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Ask a Question, Get an Answer - ask all quick questions here

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by mfais, Jan 22, 2010.

1. lemmywinks

lemmywinks Senior member

To the New Yorkers I am going to be in New York for about a week during New Years and living in California, it never really gets that cold. I am also going to use this as an excuse to buy some new clothes. What type of clothes should I pack/get for this week? Stuff I have and am packing A pair of Vans Raw denim Couple of oxfords and flannels T-Shirts Warm undershirt/underpants things (Uniqlo Heat Tech) What else should I get? Definitely a coat of some sort and probably boots because my sneakers aren't going to make it. Right now I'm thinking of two very SF-approved and fairly economical options. A Sterlingwear Peacot and LL Bean Katahdin boots. Any New Yorkers care to chime in?

2. whodini

whodini Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!

I'd ditch the vans if I were you and stick to boots. Your vans will be worthless if it happens to snow and you'll be really screwed if it's slush. I split time growing up in SoCal between the city and the mountains but none of it prepared me for slush. God awful.

The peacoat's not a bad idea but again, that's assuming that whatever you're in is dry. It's not fun having to repeatedly wear soaked clothing that's supposed to keep you warm.

This also entirely depends on how much walking you think you'll be doing and what kind of weather you'll be seeing.

3. apropos

apropos Senior member

I live in a country with no Sebago retail presence - do these fit TTS? How is the fit compared to Converse Chucks?

4. clarksdb

clarksdb Senior member

I need a proxy for a J Crew peacoat. I live in Toronto, Canada...PM me if interested or tell me the place here where I can find a proxy.

Also, is it okay to wear a black peacoat with a light shade of brown colored boots?

5. macuser3of5

macuser3of5 Senior member

Hi all, first post here. I would like your opinions on sunglasses preferences. I am buying some prescription sunglasses and have decided on an aviator style. I am trying to decide whether to go with dark lens (grey gradient) or mirrored lens framed in gold or silver frames. What are your thoughts?
    get a dark lens, classic, mirrored lens can be cool sometimes but is a bit... overt. I prefer silver to gold, more versatile. kind of depends on your style/complexion.

6. stinger70

stinger70 Senior member

whats the best way to look after heavy knitwear? Hand wash only, but is it best to avoid ever washing it? In which case being pretty careful about where and when you wear it.

7. clarksdb

clarksdb Senior member

whats the best way to look after heavy knitwear? Hand wash only, but is it best to avoid ever washing it? In which case being pretty careful about where and when you wear it.

Steam it with a good steamer? Comes out like new.

8. SeanathonHuff

SeanathonHuff Senior member

a. I've seen a lot of talk about Nudies lacking durability. Does this apply to Selvage models as well?
    b. Straight leg raw denim brands with backpocket designs, under $250, selvage. Suggestions?
    c. Which sneakers, other than canvas, can be worn with khakis?

Thanks.

9. Melo

Melo Senior member

I live in a country with no Sebago retail presence - do these fit TTS? How is the fit compared to Converse Chucks?

You'll find a lot of differing opinions on this but in my experience you should size down 1 from your true size. I wear size 10 in both chucks and docksides.

10. Melo

Melo Senior member

11. clarksdb

clarksdb Senior member

What kind of gloves to wear with peacoat? I'm thinking leather gloves maybe lined in cashmere...any recommendations for gloves that fit slim on the hand? $50 or less

12. lemmywinks

lemmywinks Senior member

c. Which sneakers, other than canvas, can be worn with khakis?

Thanks.

Pretty much any classic sneakers and those with a clean design work. adidas Sambas and Common Projects to mention a few.

13. KitAkira

KitAkira Wait! Wait! I gots an opinion!

What kind of gloves to wear with peacoat? I'm thinking leather gloves maybe lined in cashmere...any recommendations for gloves that fit slim on the hand? $50 or less
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

14. clarksdb

clarksdb Senior member

15. KitAkira

KitAkira Wait! Wait! I gots an opinion!