• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The MBA Thread

Milpool

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Arrogant Bastard
PhDs, being highly specialized, can be double-edged swords. Only pursue them if you're dead certain you want to go into that field. Definitely not the sort of degree that can be "collected" the way an MBA can. A lot of people get MBAs as hedges against the job market, hedges against not being able to figure out what they want to do with their lives but knowing they want to make money, and salary boosters. PhDs can't really be used defensively in these ways, but they can open some very lucrative doors if pursued in certain fields (CS, statistics, finance, etc.).

Well said. A PhD has to be about being an expert in your field.

Even if you decide you hated business, lots of jobs in a variety of sectors are happy to have an MBA around.

pebblegrain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by fairholme_wannabe
750 aggregate

You would have to be stupid to retake the GMAT after a 750, regardless of the split. I believe that is in the 98th percentile. In fact, if you retake it, they will probably use it as a sign of your short-sightedness.

The GMAT is not as important for top schools (they could pick candidates without knowing their score and still average 700+). It is more important for schools ranked 15 or worse because they need it to raise their average/not hurt their average.

moolala

Reaction score
Originally Posted by pebblegrain
You would have to be stupid to retake the GMAT after a 750, regardless of the split. I believe that is in the 98th percentile. In fact, if you retake it, they will probably use it as a sign of your short-sightedness.

The GMAT is not as important for top schools (they could pick candidates without knowing their score and still average 700+). It is more important for schools ranked 15 or worse because they need it to raise their average/not hurt their average.

750 is solid...

fairholme_wannabe

Reaction score

Appreciate it!

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
You would have to be stupid to retake the GMAT after a 750, regardless of the split. I believe that is in the 98th percentile. In fact, if you retake it, they will probably use it as a sign of your short-sightedness. The GMAT is not as important for top schools (they could pick candidates without knowing their score and still average 700+). It is more important for schools ranked 15 or worse because they need it to raise their average/not hurt their average.
+1 If you got a 750 on the GMAT, you're done with the GMAT. Nobody -- be it HBS, Stanford, or any other top school -- is going to care if you retake the test and get, say, a 760. They probably wouldn't care if you retook it and got an 800, unlikely though that outcome would be. The GMAT is like one of those "You must be this tall to ride the rollercoaster" signs at the theme park. Once you're tall enough, the ride operator doesn't care how tall you are. Being any taller doesn't get you more rides. It's a minimum entry requirement. Of course, that's not to say that a great GMAT score automatically gets you into a great school. You still need to rock the essays and the interview and the resume. I have a friend who scored 760 on his GMAT and basically said "*******, now I'll just kick back and phone in the rest." Very bad mistake, especially because he'd nailed the hardest part of the process. He ended up at a Top 20 school when he had a legitimate shot at Top 3.

Flambeur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Milpool
Just take a look at the PhD programs at your target b-schools. See if they sound interesting.

Totally different thing.

a. huge time commitment of 4-6 years vs. 2 fro the MBA
b. focus on a single area and academic research (completely different from the practitioner-oriented stuff you learn in the MBA)
c. totally different pool of candidates from the MBA pool
d. ridiculous competition of 20-60 highly qualified candidates for every spot. If you're talking Finance, it's basically impossible to get into a reputable program unless you're a Physics PhD with impeccable credentials, well not exactly but you know what I mean.
e. VASTLY different career path from an MBA

Flambeur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by fairholme_wannabe
750 aggregate

would you mind sharing your v/q split? I absolutely don't get how you can get 77% Q and score a 750 even with a perfect V score.... Also, 750 is 99th percentile now, right?

fairholme_wannabe

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Flambeur
would you mind sharing your v/q split? I absolutely don't get how you can get 77% Q and score a 750 even with a perfect V score.... Also, 750 is 99th percentile now, right?

Q47 V47--98%

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Totally different thing.

a. huge time commitment of 4-6 years vs. 2 fro the MBA
b. focus on a single area and academic research (completely different from the practitioner-oriented stuff you learn in the MBA)
c. totally different pool of candidates from the MBA pool
d. ridiculous competition of 20-60 highly qualified candidates for every spot. If you're talking Finance, it's basically impossible to get into a reputable program unless you're a Physics PhD with impeccable credentials, well not exactly but you know what I mean.
e. VASTLY different career path from an MBA

+1.

maverick

Reaction score
Only thing I have heard about Columbia is that they are/were rolling in their process, and far better to get your application in early (even if not early decision).

Viktri

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The verbal score carries significant weight compared to the quants, iirc, it is 3x the value and the higher the verbal the greater the rarity (few candidates score higher on the verbal and the scores aren't base on avgs of the 2 scores but the rarity of the scores) thus increasing the difference further. http://www.mba.com/mba/thegmat/gmats...nkingmeans.htm 98% according to the official site an incredible score imo edit: Forgot to mention, if you scored verbal 51 (perfect) the minimum score you'll get with a quant 40 is 750. With Q at 77% you're probably 790 based on past results.

dave333

Reaction score
I'm currently studying econ/math (likely will do double major) at Middlebury C (liberal arts so no business program).

What should I be focused on besides a high GMAT/GPA when it comes to getting into a top business school? Any particular extracurriculars I should get started in?

Milpool

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dave333
I'm currently studying econ/math (likely will do double major) at Middlebury C (liberal arts so no business program).

What should I be focused on besides a high GMAT/GPA when it comes to getting into a top business school? Any particular extracurriculars I should get started in?

Solid work experience.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads