• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The MBA Thread

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I searched all open forums for the single title phrase "MBA" and there were none, surprisingly. So I thought I'd start. Many people here, especially on Mens Clothing seem to work in business, and I presume some of them went to business school.

Opinions on MBAs? Worth it? Waste of money? You liked the coke parties? Did you get your current job through MBA connections? Is it just to get higher-paying jobs or did it somehow land you your dream job?

Did you go to a top ranked school? Do you consider yourself money-centric (Andy Fastow FTW)? Did you go to a lower-ranked school, if so what was your experience?

I have my GMAT in the bag already, I am on the verge of starting about 5-6 applications.

nerdykarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've studied but still need to take the GMAT. The plan is to do the four-year JD/MBA program at UGA.
Very interested in everyone else's experiences.

premo

Reaction score
I still have to finish 2 years of undergrad, a masters and only then will I consider jumping on the MBA bandwagon.

micbain

Reaction score
Good idea on the MBA thread.

I'll throw a question out there - for those of you who did an undergrad in business, how was your experience in doing a MBA? I know the MBA is a good way to reposition yourself or get into a more recognized school; however as someone who's done a business undergrad I am really not looking forward to wasting a year on intro accounting, intro finance, etc.

Brian278

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by norymeoreason41
University of Florida MBA here. Best decision I have ever made.

What did you/are you going to do with it, if you don't mind me asking?

Recoil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have my B.A but I'm considering going back for the MBA part-time. Seems to be the thing to do, lots of schools offers part-time MBAs to people with 2 years work experience. The only thing I'm concerned about is my total lack of any finance/statistics/economics background, so I have to take a prep year and it could tear me to sheds. LOL.

micbain

Reaction score
thought i'd bump this thread. I'm really interested in hearing peoples thoughts.

mbc

Reaction score
University of Southern California MBA here. No regrets. Costs a ton of money but it's connected me to people and opportunities that I would have had a hard time connecting with otherwise.

USC isn't top ranked in the Stanford/Harvard/Wharton sense but the network is unbelievable, especially in So Cal and many parts of Asia.

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Reaction score
Graduated with my MBA from Arizona State University this past May.

We moved up to #22 in the US News rankings while I was there and #8 among public universities.

Of course right now that doesn't mean much as I'm still looking for a job.

I enjoyed the experience and thought it was definitely worthwhile.

norymeoreason41

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Brian278
What did you/are you going to do with it, if you don't mind me asking?
Sure - I don't mind at all. My interest is in Human Resources. This is primarily the reason I got my MBA (UF has an HR specializaton). Now I am an HR Manager for a large corporation only 1 year out of my MBA. Huge salary leap and a fantastic career that I actually enjoy.

Motol12

Reaction score
Graduated with my MBA at the height of the 80s Wall Street fever. One of the best decisions I ever made, it got me the job I wanted and the connections I needed to succeed.

Cost an arm and a leg too, and if I had graduated during the bust I might not be singing the praises of the MBA.

speedfreak

Reaction score
I am studying in Germany, so things might be a litte bit different in the states then here, but I really don't see the value in a MBA program for my career.

I have my bachelors degree in econ and will be graduating in April with my masters degree in econ. Plus, I'm starting with the Chartered Financial Analysts (CFA) program in december and will hopefully start working in Investment Banking then next summer. I don't think I would learn any new "business" related stuff since the MBA was, at least as far as I know, designed for people with degrees in physics, engineering and similar backgrounds. So, in essence two master degrees in economics and business doesn't really make much sense to me. I'd rather do a PhD after getting some work experience...

BYucko

Reaction score
Originally Posted by speedfreak
the MBA was, at least as far as I know, designed for people with degrees in physics, engineering and similar backgrounds.

I have never heard of this before. Can someone elaborate?

I thought getting the MBA was pretty standard.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by BYucko
I have never heard of this before. Can someone elaborate?

I thought getting the MBA was pretty standard.

speedfreak is right about the history of the MBA. It was originally for nonbusiness professionals who needed training in business.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads