• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mental Health and Clothing

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@hpreston

Could help spending some time in the SWD tailoring thread? It inherently feels less pedantic and anal than us over here.

The "shop in person" also doesn't work for me, I'm located in a menswear desert.

TomTom

Reaction score
Thank God indeed we have a thread for mental health.

Been getting tailor-made jackets as a way to cope with my anxiety and chronic dep. for a couple of years now. Turns out it won't be enough.

A colleague took his own life yesterday. I barely knew him but it hit me hard. As an educator, of course I'd have to be with the kids, but once I sent them home, I started to think that I could have ended up doing the same thing the colleague did.

Sorry for the negative vibes folks. I'm just looking for a place to let out my emotions... really sorry
Never apologize for sharing your feelings, especially about such an importa toppic as mental health. I'm a veteran in my early 40s who came back from overseas with CPTSD and have been very close to taking my life on several occasions. Just hold on, try to find some help and look at the positive things in life. I will be honest, If it was not for my daughter and my wife I would not be here today.
I find tailored clothes always made me feel better and that is why I wear then on a daily basis.
Take care of yourself and I know it probably feels that life is hopeless sometimes but hold on and I hope I see you posting here again..

msimon

Reaction score
As a autistic on a high functioning spectrum, clothing is a way for me to express or have a identity that I would not normally have and use to my advantage over others. Yes if I wasn't acting and using my image to my advantage I wouldn't be were I am today to push myself to be part of human life and not slam my door and say goodbye to reality like so many others, however that does drain you to the point of exhaustion, which to a typical person is hard to understand.

Obviously what I just said won't be to everyone's opinion and missread it but that's the fact that I had to learn in this alien world, these days I do not care sharing my autism as I did before as that can change a persons view of that person and the fact that I have achieved that of most people haven't with my autism, they can take it or @#£%%£# leave it.

Father Style

Reaction score
My interest in clothes helps my anxiety a great deal. For one thing, it makes me look forward to things (events, gatherings) that I would normally dread. It also helps me feel like I have some control over otherwise out-of-control circumstances.
Very interesting thread. It’s always helpful to know that none of us is ever alone.

FatherStyle.com

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This thread brings to mind David Copperfield, by Charles Dickens in which
the character, Mr Dick, who is quite insane. offers sage advice:

'Mr. Dick,' said my aunt, 'what shall I do with this child?'

Mr. Dick considered, hesitated, brightened, and rejoined, 'Have him measured for a suit of clothes directly.'

'Mr. Dick,' said my aunt triumphantly, 'give me your hand, for your common sense is invaluable.' Having shaken it with great cordiality, she pulled me towards her and said to Mr. Murdstone:

'You can go when you like; I'll take my chance with the boy. If he's all you say he is, at least I can do as much for him then, as you have done. But I don't believe a word of it.'

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads