• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Status
Not open for further replies.

howardu09

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Watchaholic
Great thread, with some amazing watches.. couldn't resist as my first post- here's one of my more dressier ones which is reserved for special occasions. Anyway, looking forward to educating myself and contributing here having just been browsing for a while

img00456201008091819.jpg

THIS is nice!!

Prince of Paisley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
Totally agreed. The Portuguese and pre-Mark XVI pilot watches are really gorgeous watches--things you'd wear while shooting your Leica. Now they look more like things you'd wear if you were an asshole who spray tans and wears too much cheap cologne.

Anecdotally I must admit I've seen more and more douchy looking characters with IWC watches rather than the gaudy Rolexes or TAGs their type traditionally sport...

I was beginning to think that douchebags here had developed better taste and hence started buying IWCs. Now I realise it's just IWC has reshaped it's model lineup to attract the douchy dollar.

Singular

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Prince of Paisley
Anecdotally I must admit I've seen more and more douchy looking characters with IWC watches rather than the gaudy Rolexes or TAGs their type traditionally sport...

I was beginning to think that douchebags here had developed better taste and hence started buying IWCs. Now I realise it's just IWC has reshaped it's model lineup to attract the douchy dollar.

Coincidentally, this is what I'm wearing today...

dsc0002f.jpg

/M

robinsongreen68

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ i know its about switching things around and having fun, but if i owned a 69 speedy, a 5513 and an IWC mk XV i would always choose one of them over that aquatimer.

jhcam8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mesta
Damm, how long have you waited for the watch?
I'll definitely have one someday.\\

B&R is striking again with their heritage watches, this one is my next buy :

Bell-Ross-Vintage-BR-123-Carbon.jpg

Here's a write-up on similar: http://ablogtoread.com/bell-ross/bel...gtoRead.com%29

I don't see anything wrong with buying an ETA movement in a custom designed case for a reasonable amount. B&R's are often available for <3K and if you don't want to spend 8 -10K or more to get an in-house movement, barring a few exceptions, then why not?

radicaldog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by phantomtides
Late to the party, but here are some I like. I have a very small wrist (6") and I've emphasized items that I find aesthetically appealing over expensive movements or complications. All are manual movements. Also, I'm not rich. 8^)

In order: Hamilton Tourneau (original dial), Zenith sterling silver (porcelain redial to replace cracked original), Hamilton gold-filled (redial, watch was my grandfather's), Revue 30s (daily beast).

I love those. Congratulations.

xpress

Reaction score
Originally Posted by vbuskirk
Let's bring this back to rough and tawdry. My latest:

100922b-07.jpg

100922b-09.jpg

100922b-11.jpg

Beautiful.

My next watch is going to be a Doxa... Probably a Caribbean.

Underrated !

NonServiam

Reaction score
Steel is real, but gold is bold
inlove.gif

Early 80s Rolex GMT-Master 16758, a transitional model introducting the caliber 3075 with 28,800 vibrations per hour, the quickset date feature and the sapphire crystal on the GMT. A perfect blend of modern and vintage, with the lovely, lovely nipple dial.

mailgooglecom.jpg

Belligero

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NonServiam
A perfect blend of modern and vintage, with the lovely, lovely nipple dial.

Agreed. Very, very nice. Even though I have no love for current Rolex designs (or nearly any precious-metal Rolex), just about any GMT other than the ceramic is as foolproof and versatile as it gets. The black and gold just looks great on yours.

gmt-iic1.jpg

And looks so not-great on this one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads