• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Would you choose your career again

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
lawsux

But what about all the wonderful fellow lawyers?

confused.gif

- B

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
But what about all the wonderful fellow lawyers?
confused.gif

If lawyers weren't like lawyers, I might actually like the profession--at least, enough to not want to blow my own brains out. But then, they'd probably be terrible at practicing law. I have a lot of friends I grew up with who became lawyers, and each is more of an asshole/***** than before. Giant chips on everyone's shoulders, plus a mindset warped to lose all facility for independent taste.

maverick

Reaction score
So far, yes... but I am only a few years out of college and not actually sure what I want to do for a career. Where I am now leaves me a lot of choices for the future though, so pretty happy.

Sartorial1

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
If lawyers weren't like lawyers, I might actually like the profession--at least, enough to not want to blow my own brains out. But then, they'd probably be terrible at practicing law.

I have a lot of friends I grew up with who became lawyers, and each is more of an asshole/***** than before. Giant chips on everyone's shoulders, plus a mindset warped to lose all facility for independent taste.

We hear bad stroies about lawyers everywhere.
But down here in Charleston,
many of them are gentlemen,
or else very talented actors.

Edit: They even let a couple of them in the Country Club.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sartorial1
We here bad stroies about lawyers everywhere. But down here in Charleston, many of them are gentlemen, or else very talented actors.
I'm most familiar with DC and NYC lawyers. I'm convinced they're mostly jerks. In NYC, there is an added element of bitterness because they don't make nearly as much money as their clients and feeling like small fish. In DC, there is the added element of being the big fish.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would do it again in a heart beat. I love being around artists, marketing and creative people developing products and putting them out in the world. After being semi-retired for the last 7 years I may do it again. A former competitor wants me to join them. It sounds fun.

gladhands

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I never actually chose my career. I earned a liberal arts education from an unremarkable institution, and gained no marketable skill. After years of bouncing around aimlessly, I find a low-level job in a very specific, esoteric field. Fast forward to present, I'm an "expert" in that field, that while not particularly lucrative is a "respectable" career with a "respectable" salary.

Surely I'm not the only one here.

ConcernedParent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I will be following this thread with great earnestness, because I have no ******* clue what I'm going to do to fuel my expensive tastes and complete lack of work ethic.

Mr Herbert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
the most difficult thing for me to accept after doing a technical degree and getting quite excited by technical solutions and inovations was working in a field where economics drives reliability far harder than inovation.

never use anything with less than 10 years proven operation.

not saying i hate my choice but wish they didnt sell my career the way they do at high school level.

i also now realise that the only job anyone really respects is a doctor.

engineers, nerdy. lawyers, bloodsuckers. bankers, boring. doctors, fascinating.

Sherlock

Reaction score
No, I'm a software developer and don't really like it. I like programming, but would prefer to do it on my own time as a hobby rather than for a living. The main reason is poor pay and low job security. There are just too many people in the field which keeps salaries low. Companies deciding to outsource everything to India isn't helping, and that's only getting worse. I also hate many of my coworkers who tend to be mostly very nerdy and socially awkward people. I wish I could go back in time and tell myself to choose a different path. I probably should have gone to medical school and become a surgeon. Awesome money, much more respect, no possibility of being outsourced, and you actually make a difference in peoples' lives.

Sherlock

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mr Herbert
i also now realise that the only job anyone really respects is a doctor.
And don't forget firemen. EVERYONE loves firemen. As if what they do is so hard...

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by howardu09
no. I'd do programming or something similar so I could develop apps and get $$$$$$

Yes. That's where the money is. There is a lot of need for software solutions in every industry. Find a need, a niche and be on your merry way!

JustinW

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gladhands
I never actually chose my career. I earned a liberal arts education from an unremarkable institution, and gained no marketable skill. Surely I'm not the only one here.
You are not. Humanities post-grad degree (econs & history) and military service. I have done everything from combat medic, state needle and syringe programme director, economics & government high-school teacher, labour union researcher, technical and copy writer, brickie's labourer to military advisor/observer to a national liberation army. If I could do it over again I'd choose a nice professional niche like pharmacy, architecture or environmental engineering.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads