1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Would you choose your career again

Discussion in 'Business, Careers & Education' started by Mr Herbert, Sep 17, 2010.

1. Radagast

Radagast Senior member

Last edited: Oct 23, 2011
  2. Cool The Kid

Cool The Kid Senior member

I like my job (mechanical engineer), but if I could go back in time I would prob have chosen the same path and just did things differently.

I also would have pursued music more aggressively in college. I should have been in a band then

3. philosophe

philosophe Senior member

in the weekend FT, there was a quote from Barry Manilow that said "I think that it is great if you can make a living doing what made you most happy at 14". that sounds pretty cool, although I don't know if I could make a living masterbating.

LOL.

I'm quite happy in academia. The trade-off of salary for freedom and stability has been great for me. Crucially, I've had tenure for awhile.

Now, the shrinking job market, the uncertain future of tenure and the growth of adjunct faculty, and the increasing focus of universities on customer satisfaction rather than knowledge would probably make me choose a different path.

4. deadly7

deadly7 Senior member

LOL.

I'm quite happy in academia. The trade-off of salary for freedom and stability has been great for me. Crucially, I've had tenure for awhile.

Now, the shrinking job market, the uncertain future of tenure and the growth of adjunct faculty, and the increasing focus of universities on customer satisfaction rather than knowledge would probably make me choose a different path.

Tenure is fucking ludicrous. I wish I could get paid six figures for getting awful student reviews because I do research. :\\

5. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

I would live my entire adult life differently. Actually, I'd start off in Grade 9 and re-do things differently.

6. Radagast

Radagast Senior member

7. Fuuma

Fuuma Senior member

lawsux

I don't know much about the field of Law but can you use your studies as the launching pad of a "philosophy of Law" teaching/writing career? Sounds a lot more interesting IMHO and maybe more in line with what I've seen from you.

8. AR_Six

AR_Six Senior member

^That would require quite a bit of academic weight on your resume, I think. Becoming a professor in another area who deals largely with practical aspects but dabbles in the more ethereal ones is probably more likely. Ie, the guy who was a big up and comer on bay st. but left a top-tier firm for academia, who taught me commercial law and secured transactions but also teaches sexuality and the law and publishes stuff on gender studies which apparently is his main area of interest. It seems like there is a lot of that. That being said it also seems like the majority of academics in law are women, up here anyway. In stark contrast to women being a noticeable minority in the profession as a whole which is unfortunate.

9. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

I trace my first poor decision back to Grade 9 as well. Had the chance to go away to boarding school, but refused. In retrospect, I think it could have been a good experience.

Mine was starting to drink heavily and coasting through high school on my innate abilities vs. really learning something. I am still paying the price over two decades later.

10. globetrotter

globetrotter Senior member

coasting through high school on my innate abilities vs. really learning something. I am still paying the price over two decades later.

yeah, this was my problem, too. I really pound this issue home with my nieces, and will do so wit my kids too.

11. mkarim

mkarim Senior member

Mine was starting to drink heavily and coasting through high school on my innate abilities vs. really learning something. I am still paying the price over two decades later.
    How are you still paying the price decades later?

12. JustinW

JustinW Senior member

coasting through high school on my innate abilities vs. really learning something. I am still paying the price over two decades later.
    + 1 [​IMG] I taught myself Year 12 maths about two weeks before the final exam. It would have been so much easier if I'd payed attention in class that year (and my grades would have ended-up better too).

13. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

How are you still paying the price decades later?

I did not nearly realize my potential and could have led a much better life, career/financial wise.

14. Fuuma

Fuuma Senior member

15. Joffrey

Joffrey Senior member

I'm very happy with my career so far. Getting a little stale at my current job but the trajectory is pretty good so far. (up for a promotion and solid raise in a month). However, I'm at a stage where I feel I'm at a cross roads as to where to go from here looking to open some new doors.

16. TheDarkKnight

TheDarkKnight Senior member

I trace my first poor decision back to Grade 9 as well. Had the chance to go away to boarding school, but refused. In retrospect, I think it could have been a good experience.

Interesting grade 9 it was for me too, assuming that's age 14 over there too. Hormones have a lot answer for!

If I had my time over I'd do a degree in economics and then look to become a Fund Manager, I certainly would have had the ability for it.

17. GQgeek

GQgeek Senior member

yeah, this was my problem, too. I really pound this issue home with my nieces, and will do so wit my kids too.

Yep. That's the one thing I say over and over again when I'm talking about kids to some of my friends. I didn't learn to study hard at school until it was essentially too late and I wouldn't be surprised if i hit a glass ceiling at some point because of that.

18. Radagast

Radagast Senior member