• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

racknac

Reaction score
How do epaulet house shirts compare to Gitman Bros Vintage shirts? I wear a Medium for Gitman, same for epaulet?

kgmessier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by racknac
How do epaulet house shirts compare to Gitman Bros Vintage shirts? I wear a Medium for Gitman, same for epaulet?
Gitman is cut slightly looser than Epaulet. The best thing is to go by online measurements, but if you're a medium in Gitman, you're probably a medium or large in Epaulet. Keep in mind that different Gitman shirts have different measurements, whereas Epaulet is consistent across the board. I'm a small in Epaulet always, but there are some Gitman Vintage shirts that I need to take a medium in, and there are some smalls that are just a bit too loose. Mostly I'm a small in Gitman, but their sizing varies enough that it's not a sure thing. Go with the online sizing for the best bet. If it's not posted online, call the store and ask. - Keith

MichaelPemulis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No question the best thing to do is measure a shirt that you already have and then check the online measurements.

One thing to be aware of is that most of the epaulet shirts are darted in the back which makes them fit slimmer in the stomach (so a 22" pit to pit on one of the darted shirts will fit slimmer than a 22" pit to pit on a regular shirt).

I wear L/XL in Gitman depending on the shirt, and I always need an XXL in epaulet because of the darting.

racknac

Reaction score
Originally Posted by kgmessier
Gitman is cut slightly looser than Epaulet. The best thing is to go by online measurements, but if you're a medium in Gitman, you're probably a medium or large in Epaulet.

Keep in mind that different Gitman shirts have different measurements, whereas Epaulet is consistent across the board. I'm a small in Epaulet always, but there are some Gitman Vintage shirts that I need to take a medium in, and there are some smalls that are just a bit too loose. Mostly I'm a small in Gitman, but their sizing varies enough that it's not a sure thing.

Go with the online sizing for the best bet. If it's not posted online, call the store and ask.

- Keith

Yeah, I've noticed the variability in the sizing of the gitman shirts, frustrates the hell out of me.

MiniW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
just got my second Epaulet shirt, wanted to say thanks for the great service and for another awesome addition to my wardrobe!

Epaulet

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MichaelPemulis
i can't say i have ordered from canada, but i can say that, without a doubt, epaulet has the best customer service in this industry.

and, to tell you the truth, it's not even close.

i wouldn't sweat it.

Awww, thanks!
bigstar[1].gif

Originally Posted by APK
Such depth with that pattern. It's almost 3D.

I know, this shirt is stupidly nice in person. Before yesterday, I never owned a grey medium-scale gingham. Now I'm wondering how I lived 33 years without one.

For the most part, Gitman Vintage runs a size bigger than Epaulet (ex. Gitman Vintage Medium = Epaulet Large). However, there is quite a bit of variance, so it's best to check the online measurements. If it's a Gitman shirt that we carry, please feel free to PM me directly with any questions.

For the current crop of Chambray's and the Overdyed Oxford, I'd say that sizing down one from Epaulet is pretty right on. I'm an Epaulet Large, and all of these shirts are fitting pretty well as Mediums.

Originally Posted by Chip
Most likely cut the same, just the materials that cause the sizing differences.

That's definitely one part of it. There are also two different patterns, and on occasion, certain fabrics will be cut into only one of the patterns. It's tough to tell.

Originally Posted by MiniW
just got my second Epaulet shirt, wanted to say thanks for the great service and for another awesome addition to my wardrobe!

Thank you sir!

Oh, and two quick things:

1. First Gant Rugger delivery is coming today. We'll work like hell to get it online ASAP. I've got awesome solid BD oxfords and a 60/40 Ranger coat that will knock your ass out. It's so good.

2. We got a nice plug in the latest issue of GQ. Here's a scan below. Our friend and often-times model Damon Boelte is wearing an entire look from our shop. Epaulet Tie, Epaulet French Cuff Tattersall shirt, and a Scotch & Soda wool vest.

4931734099_17e2e819cd_z.jpg

See full size

samsterdam

Reaction score
Is the express shipping option new, or am I just thick and have never noticed it before? Either way, I'm excited that my order will be here that much sooner, before the froth of anticipation becomes unbearable.

JustinW

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by samsterdam
Is the express shipping option new, or am I just thick and have never noticed it before? Either way, I'm excited that my order will be here that much sooner, before the froth of anticipation becomes unbearable.

I just found out my EP jeans spent a week sitting at the USPS NY sorting station, but are finally on their way to me! I've been checking the mail with that same eager anticipation all week, so I know what you mean!

StanleyVanBuren

Thumb Raider
Reaction score
The GQ shout-out is rad. Nice that he decked himself out in Epaulet for the shot!

Too bad they only gave you credit for the tie.

racknac

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Epaulet
For the most part, Gitman Vintage runs a size bigger than Epaulet (ex. Gitman Vintage Medium = Epaulet Large). However, there is quite a bit of variance, so it's best to check the online measurements. If it's a Gitman shirt that we carry, please feel free to PM me directly with any questions.

For the current crop of Chambray's and the Overdyed Oxford, I'd say that sizing down one from Epaulet is pretty right on. I'm an Epaulet Large, and all of these shirts are fitting pretty well as Mediums.

How would you say the Epaulet shirts compare to Gant Rugger shirts then? I wear a Medium in the Gan Rugger shirts... but would fit it better if the shoulders were about 1/2 inch larger.

kgmessier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How would you say the Epaulet shirts compare to Gant Rugger shirts then? I wear a Medium in the Gan Rugger shirts... but would fit it better if the shoulders were about 1/2 inch larger.
Mike will give you a more accurate response, but I think GANT is about the same fit as Gitman, and possibly a bit fuller. Get a large in Epaulet. - Keith

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads