• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

***THE OFFICIAL Los Angeles Chat Thread***

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Davidko19
Also, where is a good place to live for a young single guy that would work in downtown? I can put up with the commute for 3 months til my rent is up. How is the commute from the westside?
I was working in downtown L.A. for two months in 2002. The second month I lived in West L.A. near the Beverly Center. The commute was a half-hour each way (Olympic eastbound in the morning, Wilshire westbound in the evening).

ConcernedParent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Also, where is a good place to live for a young single guy that would work in downtown? I can put up with the commute for 3 months til my rent is up. How is the commute from the westside?

Downtown?
laugh.gif

willpower

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by volatility smile
Any recommendations for good bars/lounges/whatever in weho? A friend and I are set on Cantina so far, but I'm at a loss as to where else we should go/check out/whatever. I haven't really been to weho for the nightlife before
frown.gif

Completely depends what you're looking for. Hundreds of places ranging from dives to the most pretentious and expensive places in LA. Cantina is OK to start because there are other bars/clubs within walking distance - definitely nice not to have to drive. WEHO is parking challenged at night and it's never free. There are a couple of pay lots just south of there on Robertson. If you're hoping to meet women, that part of the city has a slightly higher male to female ratio. Other Casual Bars Barney's ******y (low priced drinks, so-so food) - http://www.yelp.com/biz/barneys-******y-west-hollywood Lola's - (cheap Happy Hour Martinis) http://www.yelp.com/biz/lolas-west-hollywood Jones - (good Italian food and some decent looking ladies) http://www.yelp.com/biz/jones-west-hollywood Isla - http://www.yelp.com/biz/isla-west-hollywood Fairfax Ave between Melrose and Beverly - Divey bars all within walking distance of each other

EMY

Reaction score

i know some people who live in skylofts (7th and grand) and concerto (9th and fig). pretty convenient locations if you can find a rental. maybe market lofts too

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Every sunday is like that. Does anyone take the metro regularly? Do you actually ahve a chance to relax, do other work, etc. or is that just a romantic, optimistic view. The blue line runs through the hood, but Im literally going from one end point to the other - 17 stops.

i do. i get on at the willow station (about 5 minutes from my house) and get off at red line-civic center (about 5 minutes from my office). it's almost always 55-60 minutes from door to door. i've been riding the metro for more than 10 years, since traffic on the 710 went to hell. it is an "urban experience" ... there are a few colorful characters. but for the most part, I read the paper on the way in to work and read a book on the way home and have never had a problem. in fact, i've never even SEEN a problem. of course, the track does go through some pretty rough areas, so if you're not comfortable with that degree of "urban", it could be a problem. though, to repeat, i've never had a problem, or seen a problem. if your job has somewhat flexible hours, the 710 is an option ... with light traffic, I can make it in 30 minutes or so. of course, all it takes is one truck blowing a tire and it can be 90 minutes.

Davidko19

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by foodguy
i do. i get on at the willow station (about 5 minutes from my house) and get off at red line-civic center (about 5 minutes from my office). it's almost always 55-60 minutes from door to door. i've been riding the metro for more than 10 years, since traffic on the 710 went to hell. it is an "urban experience" ... there are a few colorful characters. but for the most part, I read the paper on the way in to work and read a book on the way home and have never had a problem. in fact, i've never even SEEN a problem. of course, the track does go through some pretty rough areas, so if you're not comfortable with that degree of "urban", it could be a problem. though, to repeat, i've never had a problem, or seen a problem. if your job has somewhat flexible hours, the 710 is an option ... with light traffic, I can make it in 30 minutes or so. of course, all it takes is one truck blowing a tire and it can be 90 minutes.

cool....maybe Ill see ya on board! What times you on? Is there a bad afternoon rush? I figure 7 am wont be too bad.

Ive taken the blue line many times. Last time I took it the train broke down and we all had to get out and get on the next one, but the most memorable experience was when a girl and I went up to hollywood and was approached by a man offering to take out his fake eye for us. What a charmer. im not worried about the people though.

How is the park and ride up there? My biggest complaint is that once you get in lb the train doesnt have the right of way, so it take forever to get through (im at the transit mall). I thought about driving the 5 minutes north and parking there to save 20 minutes on the back end.

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
cool....maybe Ill see ya on board! What times you on? Is there a bad afternoon rush? I figure 7 am wont be too bad.
not at 7 am you won't! i usually get on about 8:30 and get home 7-7:30.

Ive taken the blue line many times. Last time I took it the train broke down and we all had to get out and get on the next one, but the most memorable experience was when a girl and I went up to hollywood and was approached by a man offering to take out his fake eye for us. What a charmer. im not worried about the people though.
Yes, I know the gentleman. he begs occasionally, walking up and down the aisle saying in really bad spanish "no tengo mis espejos". it always makes a big finish when he pops out the glass eye. there are some characters ... there's "pat" who I can't tell if shes a he or vice versa, who sings "jesus loves me" louder and faster until somebody gives him/her money. Then there's the stinky woman ... probably 250 pounds and smells like she hasn't wiped her *ss since sixth grade. all the spanish ladies squirt perfume all over when she goes by. mostly, though, it's folks selling candy and bootleg dvds.

How is the park and ride up there? My biggest complaint is that once you get in lb the train doesnt have the right of way, so it take forever to get through (im at the transit mall). I thought about driving the 5 minutes north and parking there to save 20 minutes on the back end.
it's a good park and ride. there's a big parking structure. there's also a starbucks, if necessary. i do find that when i go all the way downtown i'm surprised at how much longer it takes.

Davidko19

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
how long does it take for you to drive to downtown LA usually?

SO --- I just got off the phone with the lady at the job and now Im torn.

When I looked, my absolute minimum to quit my current job (that I just started 4 weeks ago!) was $10k more than the 50k I make now (FWIW, they think I make 57k now). The commute would be 5-6x longer, unless/until I moved to LA.

The offer they gave is a $8k raise - 58k. This is a not-for-profit company, so there are some nice benefits for first year employees (22 days PTO [current job=2, TWO!], 10 holidays, tuition, nice retirement plan, etc) and technically the increase is still more than 15%, by the numbers, but its still less than I made at my last job ($32/hour before layoffs). I have a follow up call with the HR recruiter tomorrow.

What should I do guys?? Ask the hiring manager directly for more? How much is a killer commute worth to you? I still think at LEAST 10k is worth my commute time....

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
first of all, it's not a killer commute. i have done it every day for like 15 years. you spend an hour sitting and reading. as for quitting a job you've only had for four weeks to get an extra $8 grand ... that's something only you can decide.

Davidko19

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
also foodguy, has anyone EVER checked for Metro passes? Ive never been asked once. Do you buy the $75 monthly pass (if any?). How much does parking usually run downtown, in case I choose not to train it one day? Office is right near pershing square. Thanks! edit: yea, I know its not killer. But Ive been spoiled being home at 3 pm everyday
frown.gif
My roommates work in downtown for customs, a 3 minute walk.

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
they check every once in a while. i got busted once under the old system because i had the last month's pass and had left the new one on my desk. big hassle and would have been a big fine if i hadn't produced the pass. i see them busting people once a week or so. i get the monthly, but get a deep discount through my work. you mgiht see if the new place offers it. parking near pershing square is scandalous. there's a place i go to lunch near there that's $20 an hour. i'm sure it's discounted on a daily rate, but still really expensive.

Davidko19

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
cool, thanks for your input. I appreciate it.

Yea, I get a monthly stipend of $50 for alternate transportation plus can buy the passes pre-tax. Does any third party sell them at a deeper discount, I wonder? Parking at the emplyee garage 5 blocks away is $60/month with a $40 stipend. So really a wash there. Im just curious about needing to park for a day or two a week, ya know?

Xericx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I checked out the new Santa Monica Place mall. Bloomingdales is pretty nice there...more of a beach-vibe, no dress/work stuff really. Nice layout, pretty small men's section but its concentrated well...much different than the other bloomingdales.

ConcernedParent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just went to an Angels game.

Angels got 3 hit shutout
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
, got on the kiss cam with my date though, possibly the most significant moment of my life.
bigstar[1].gif

Davidko19

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So as an update, i negotiated a 10k raise for the job i was offered. I cam in today to my current job and shocked the world by submitting my resignation. The immediately matched the pay increase if i stayed. The benefits aren't close, but id also still be living where i am and not have to stress with a commute or move to la.

So...... It comes down to this~
1. should i play my counter offer up to the new job, though Im already near the top of their pay range
2. Try to get more out of the new job to balance out the contrast of benefits

Fwiw... Im happy at my current gig. This other offer just happened out of the blue. I can stay here but could go if another offer was much better. 10k is a big step, but now that all things are equal its hard to say.

So which one should i play first Current for equal bennies or new for more cash I just dont screw myself outta both.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads