• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

***THE OFFICIAL Los Angeles Chat Thread***

Balthazar

Reaction score
Originally Posted by eglbc
I hit the santa ana/long beach ones. Love this place.

Can anyone recommend a good, trustworthy body shop on the west side? Need some repairs on my wife's CR-V.

donjuan17

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I want this thread to come back.

To answer the OP's original question; I live in the USC area (Trojans!) and work in Cerritos.

donjuan17

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oh and play in Hollywood and whatnot.

Anyone frequent the Art Walk?

Lady Canuker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
JLibourel are you still in LA? Also for those who live there can you recommend any good fabric shops?

donjuan17

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Went to Korean BBQ last night for the first time. Went into food coma.
I also woke up with a msg hangover and feel really sick.
**** that life.

DextersMorgan

Reaction score
I was in LA in 1990.

Went there via the $69 go anywhere in continental united states cheap price.

So I was like what the hell I'll go.

We enter LA area but not quite there and I see a public laundrymat. I yell twice for the bus to stop so I could wash my clothes.

First time in California and it felt great!

I start washing and almost done just waiting for clothes to dry when a red tiny pickuptruck rushes in and the dude throws out a green military duffle bag and the passenger got out and the driver left in anger.

The girl was super pretty and I sat there listening to my walkman and I noticed that she was tossing in her silk blouse with her jeans and other various stuff.
Then she started pouring in bleach. I got up and yelled "Nooooo!!!!!!" I ran up to save her silk and grabbed everything and dumped it into the wash tub with water blasting I amazingly saved her silk!

I just remember as a teen I poured bleach on my white silk tie thinking it would take the ketchup stain out and it turned the tie yellow.

She thought at first I was there to attack her but she thanked me later by letting me in the Whiskey A GOGO. She was a dancer there.
She was also a tattoo artist and she gave me a free tattoo.

But I'm back on the east coast now and I wonder what she is up to now.... :-(

donjuan17

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone know of a good place to feast on Oysters?
Preferably a Grade A place but not looking for a formal setting I guess.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

JLibourel are you still in LA? Also for those who live there can you recommend any good fabric shops?

Well, I am in Long Beach, which, I suppose, is part of the Great LA area. Unfortunately, I don't know of any particular fabric shops. The garment district is pretty centralized a little south of downtown LA, so if you are planning a visit, you might find something good just by shopping around there.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Anyone know of a good place to feast on Oysters? 

Preferably a Grade A place but not looking for a formal setting I guess.

If you are down in Long Beach, King's fish restaurant on Pine Ave. might be worth checking out.

max2013

Reaction score
I'm in Orange County. My only suit shopping experience was with Brooks Brothers about 10-15 years ago. It was a Brooksease suit for $400 or so (?), and I felt like I was buying a car.

I haven't bought a suit since then, but I did stop by Nordstrom Rack and Jos A Bank a few times, without seeing anything I liked.

I never realized how complicated the whole suit buying business is until I stumbled on this forum today. I always thought quality = price, and my idea of sophisticated shopping was to look for the highest pre-discount price item that I can afford after discount.

Now after reading a few threads here, I really want to buy a good suit in the $800-$1200 range (and probably a pair of shoes now that I think about it...). If anyone is planning a suit shopping trip anywhere around OC/LA and doesn't mind someone clueless tagging along, please let me know =)

Otherwise, I'm planning to read more about choosing the suit and then perhaps visit some stores to get a feel for different cuts and fabric.

Max

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, if you can deliver Savile Row quality tailoring at a starting price of $3,000, you certainly would be filling a gap, as I am not aware of any bespoke tailors of renown in the area. Since you don't have a fixed shop location, it seems, perhaps your best bet would be to pass out your business card whenever you encounter a well-dressed gentleman who looks as if he would be likely client. Although I don't know much about business, my sense is that having a fixed shop would be advantageous. Out of curiosity, what are some of the fabrics available for your "starter" priced suits?

CharlesGoyer

Reaction score
I appreciate the thought. I really should do more of that. I saw Adrian Brody a while ago, and my brain was screaming, "go up to him, and offer him a suit!" But I didn't, which I also don't totally regret. Celebrities deserve their space, and privacy.

For starter suits I'd offer, Drago, VBC, Cerruti, some Scabal, some Holland and Sherry, Fox Brothers, Dugdales, Stand Even, Bower Roebuck, Smith's Woolens, and maybe a few more. Some Italian, some English. All the best quality.

XKxRome0ox

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
anyone have a recommendation for NECKTIE drycleaning around Los Angeles?

I have 2 ties that need a little extra care
a silk ISAIA tie is dirty where I knot it from just repeated handling
and a Hermes tie got a dab of oil on it
:(

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads