• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kentishman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
I honestly have no idea what you guys are talking about...
confused.gif

On cheap, fake Daytonas (and I'm sure many other watches with chronograph dials) the subdials 'work' but not in the way they are meant. Therefore, in pictures, all the hands are in seemingly random positions. For example; on a real Daytona, only the subdial at the 6 o'clock position would moving in normal wear, as a second hand. On fakes, the larger hand moves as a second hand rather than as it should – as a chronograph second hand. I could be making it sound like garbage, but I know I'm right (is that the SF curse?!
bounce2.gif
) Then again, maybe the guy is just a kingpin and seriously does have a ton of nice, pricey watches.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
But if the chrono was running when the picture was taken, it would look the way you describe it.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by medtech_expat
Today... first day out in the wild with this one. Also first time uploading from iPhone so not sure how this will look.

Very, very nice.

- B

Kentishman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
But if the chrono was running when the picture was taken, it would look the way you describe it.

This is undeniably "” if regrettably "” true.

frown.gif

dhc905

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You suggest he should be driving and trying to take a picture of his watch? Sounds pretty dangerous to me...

Originally Posted by gomestar
stunning watch. But next time don't take such a douchy picture of your idle Porsche.

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I honestly have no idea what you guys are talking about...
confused.gif

And I was pointing out that the subdials at 3 and 9 were above the horizontal axis like a real Daytona.
I didn't see anything about the Daytona that looked fake.

NonServiam

Reaction score
IWC
inlove.gif
Here's mine at ... uhm Christmas.
IMG_0042.jpg
Ok, I need to take newer pictures. Although summer seems to be Rolex time for me. I visited California for the first time this June, here my Exp II in front of Fourtane of Carmel. Truly a must-visit shop if you're in the neighbourhood. Nice selection of vintage Rolex, barely made it out of there with my credit intact
wink.gif
Klokkebilder011.jpg
Klokkebilder014.jpg

Advent

Reaction score
Originally Posted by zippyh
And I was pointing out that the subdials at 3 and 9 were above the horizontal axis like a real Daytona.
I didn't see anything about the Daytona that looked fake.

So you're saying the Daytona is authentic, yet another guy is saying the Patek is clearly fake. Seems odd to me that he'd have a closet of authentic and a fake (or two).

cdmoore1855

Reaction score
I went to a dinner the other night and the host had about US$ 2,500,000 of watches in his little brief case, only 8 watches made up this amount.

One guy at the dinner was wearing a US$ 200,000 Harry Winston Opus 9, wow interesting watch if you like gems. There are some real watch nuts about in HK

ScottMan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Advent
So you're saying the Daytona is authentic, yet another guy is saying the Patek is clearly fake. Seems odd to me that he'd have a closet of authentic and a fake (or two).
FWIW, It's very difficult to tell good fakes from authentic in even the best of pictures. The tell-tale signs are often such minuscule, random details that are slightly off. So, the gentleman saying that Patek model just doesn't exist...if he's a knowledgeable guy then he's probably right. But most people who don't live/breath Daytonas or new ceramic Subs or whatever aren't going to know just from those pictures. Good fakes often cost $400+ and have their own following of people who spend much more money modifying them to make them look real. It's a very, very odd culture and the big fake watch forum they have has a Veyron and a yacht on the banner. Haha. Talk about irony. I know this because inevitably, half the watches you search for on google images will lead you to a fake watch forum. :-/

FWIW, my 3714 is not fake.
smile.gif

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Advent

I'm not saying the Daytona is authentic. Who can really tell from a picture? I'm saying that there's nothing in the picture to lead me to believe it's a fake. With the new Daytonas (new being relative to the zenith movement ones), the centers of the subdials at 3 and 9 are above the horizontal axis. I doubt if there are counterfeits out there with that feature.

dan138zig

Reaction score
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Staff online

Forum statistics