• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Resoling casual wingtips - rubber or leather?

Icarium

Reaction score
I acquired a pair of older AE wingtips that have just the right amount of wear on them to be perfect for casual wear with trousers and jacket or jeans. The only unattractive part are the soles, which have clearly seen better days. I probably need to have them recrafted and completely replaced - cork and all, and wanted to get opinions on how to have it done.

I definitely want the thickness of a double sole, and I will definitely have some sort of rubber in the toe region, whether it is Topys or half rubber/half leather soles, etc. Since these will never be worn with a suit and will see lots of walking, I really need rubber down there for practical reasons.

That got me thinking though... maybe I should just go with a completely rubber sole like the Titan one AE uses on some of their rubber-soled dress shoes. It is hard to bring myself to do it, because I like my leather soled shoes so much. What do you guys think?

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure if commando soles are specific to Alden or not but I'd recommend those if you can get 'em.

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm a big fan of dainite - similar thickness to a double leather sole.

Icarium

Reaction score
Originally Posted by triniboy27
I'm not sure if commando soles are specific to Alden or not but I'd recommend those if you can get 'em.

I think the new AE Easton has what you'd call commando soles. That's actually a really great idea!

sonlegoman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Tried doing a search for a solution to a problem I have and couldn't find anything so I will try to post my question here:

I have to walk on polished floors and I find that leather soles are way too slippery. Is there any solution to prevent from slipping and falling? I haven't fallen on ****** yet but have had close encounters. I was thinking about putting rubber stickers to a small portion of the sole.

upnorth

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would try leather soles plus topy mainly because a dainite sole is not usually offered by the neighborhood cobbler and that topy makes it easier and cheaper to replace when you walk a lot.

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by upnorth
I would try leather soles plus topy mainly because a dainite sole is not usually offered by the neighborhood cobbler and that topy makes it easier and cheaper to replace when you walk a lot.

He's sending them off to AE, and the danite sole will last a lot longer then a topy simply due to thickness.

Tried doing a search for a solution to a problem I have and couldn't find anything so I will try to post my question here:

I have to walk on polished floors and I find that leather soles are way too slippery. Is there any solution to prevent from slipping and falling? I haven't fallen on ****** yet but have had close encounters. I was thinking about putting rubber stickers to a small portion of the sole.
If they don't have a rubber heel, have that put on first, it makes a big difference.

As to the OP, a leather sole with a topy isn't really different then a danite sole. If you want the wear resistance, just go with the danite. But also keep in mind that leather, especially with taps, is tougher then you think and can always be replaced if need be and you have the funds. If you like the breathability and feel of leather soles, then just get the double leather. Unless you're slushing through the rain and mud on a regular basis, they'll last for ages.

sonlegoman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by cptjeff
If they don't have a rubber heel, have that put on first, it makes a big difference.
Even with the rubber heel, I feel like I have to walk very carefully and slowly. When I'm in a hurry is when things get dangerous. Is Topy the only solution?

upnorth

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by cptjeff
He's sending them off to AE, and the danite sole will last a lot longer then a topy simply due to thickness.
How much does a dainite sole from AE cost? The same as a standard package $99 and your shoes are gone for what, 2 weeks away. I know the OP (not sonlegoman) is sending them off to AE, all I was simply suggesting, depending on his location, that it might be better off if he got the leather sole from AE recrating, and topy it locally. The cost of running 3 or 4 cycle of topys is less than having one round of dainite resole. IME, my dainite shoes last about as long as 2 rounds of topys. If I could have easy access to dainite resoling, that would be a major factor to consider, if not, a leather sole with topy would be my choice. The benefit of a recraft of course is that they polish your uppers, fill the cork etc. With regards to slippage, I have found topy (vibram) to be superior to dainite.

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by upnorth
How much does a dainite sole from AE cost? The same as a standard package $99 and your shoes are gone for what, 2 weeks away.

I know the OP (not sonlegoman) is sending them off to AE, all I was simply suggesting, depending on his location, that it might be better off if he got the leather sole from AE recrating, and topy it locally. The cost of running 3 or 4 cycle of topys is less than having one round of dainite resole. IME, my dainite shoes last about as long as 2 rounds of topys. If I could have easy access to dainite resoling, that would be a major factor to consider, if not, a leather sole with topy would be my choice.

The benefit of a recraft of course is that they polish your uppers, fill the cork etc.

With regards to slippage, I have found topy (vibram) to be superior to dainite.

I think AE charges the same for danite as they do for leather.

Nick V.

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Wes Bourne
Not Dainite, but similar no?

Wes--

The pattern is similar but the quality is not even close.
I've seen several come into the shop because the sole splits at the toe where it is stitched.
That won't happen with Dainite because it's a much denser form of rubber.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads