• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Timbaland

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi guys. I had a question on a suit I just got. I sized down a size from 40 to 38 and the jacket fits great but the pants are a little tight at the crotch. There is some pulling there. It's like on slim fit blazers when some guys button it, you can see lines where the fabric hunches up. Is this something a tailor can fix easily or will it look off (if it's even possible to let out here) if I get it done. Thanks.

hooker4186

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm looking for a heavy-duty-ish leather belt, 1.5" thick, chrome buckle, burgundy/cordovan colored for under $50. Any suggestions where I can find one?

dmash

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm not wanting to start a new thread for this...maybe I can get some good responses in here.

I'm in my undergrad and I'm going to need a suit maybe twice a year. I've got away with it thus far, but now I find it's imperative to buy one as I most definitely have a funeral I'll be attending in the next month. I've decided I'm going to pick up a navy suit, a white and light blue spread collar and 2 ties. My question is where should I pick these items up from? I'm about 6' and 185lbs...42" chest, with 19.5" shoulders and a 32" waist. I don't want to spend a lot of money, as like I said I'm in college and in reality I'm hardly ever going to use this suit in the next 3 years. I was thinking maybe just going with Brooks Brothers, but I'm definitely open to any other suggestion! Thanks in advance.

dv_indian

Reaction score
My question is about brogues on a budget:

Okay, I am the latest entrant to the brogues admirer club. I have never owned brogues and want to try out a pair for cheap to see if I will like them or not. While searching for brogues on google UK, I came across a pair of hush puppies brogues for 55 GBP. Are they any good? It looks like brands such as Loake, Barker, Grenson, Cheaney etc which cost twice or thrice as much are still entry level UK shoes and the real high quality shoes seem to be the likes of Church's, which are high end. So, is it worth to take a chance on the hush puppies?

PS: Disregard this question. The website where I saw these shoes didn't have a clear picture of the shoes. I looked them up on another website and they are square toes. No wonder they are so cheap.

dinted voice

Reaction score
Any recommendations on a seersucker shirt? Not sure I want to dish out $70 for the rugby, but nowhere else carriers a long sleeve version. Thanks.

stant62

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dinted voice
Any recommendations on a seersucker shirt? Not sure I want to dish out $70 for the rugby, but nowhere else carriers a long sleeve version. Thanks.

Wait a couple of weeks for the Brooks Brothers sale.

enarchay

Reaction score
I mostly wear casual clothing: jeans and khakis paired with button-downs or polos and the like, and maybe a blazer. But sometimes I "dress up" a bit to be more "business casual." I don't anticipate within the near future the need to dress full out "formal" (e.g. with a suit). So I'm looking for a color/texture that works good with jeans or with the more dressed up khaki.

Having said that, I can't decide between the AE McClain in merlot or the AE McClain in pebble-grain chili. I like both the merlot and the pebble-grain chili, but they both have unique appeals. The chili would probably better diversify my wardrobe, since my boat shoes and loafers are both burgundy. Anyway, which color would you guys recommend for maximum versatility--the ability to dress up jeans or wear in a business casual environment?

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by enarchay
I mostly wear casual clothing: jeans and khakis paired with button-downs or polos and the like, and maybe a blazer. But sometimes I "dress up" a bit to be more "business casual." I don't anticipate within the near future the need to dress full out "formal" (e.g. with a suit). So I'm looking for a color/texture that works good with jeans or with the more dressed up khaki.

Having said that, I can't decide between the AE McClain in merlot or the AE McClain in pebble-grain chili. I like both the merlot and the pebble-grain chili, but they both have unique appeals. The chili would probably better diversify my wardrobe, since my boat shoes and loafers are both burgundy. Anyway, which color would you guys recommend for maximum versatility--the ability to dress up jeans or wear in a business casual environment?

The formality of balmorals clashes with the informality of jeans. You might be able to pull it off in the case of something unusual such as a Berluti wholecut, but with a wingtip that is commonly worn with suits, it's just going to look as if you swapped your suit for jeans but forgot to change your shoes.

enarchay

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dah328
The formality of balmorals clashes with the informality of jeans. You might be able to pull it off in the case of something unusual such as a Berluti wholecut, but with a wingtip that is commonly worn with suits, it's just going to look as if you swapped your suit for jeans but forgot to change your shoes.

I've followed numerous threads in which people paired wing-tips with jeans, so I assumed it was acceptable.

minervau

Reaction score
I've followed numerous threads in which people paired wing-tips with jeans, so I assumed it was acceptable.

Based on your professed desire, I'd go with a standard cap-toe dark brown oxford. It's boring, but it's versatile.

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd say it's way more acceptable if they're blucher wingtips.

Dudufrias

Reaction score
Getting pretty chilly down here, but not quite freezing. Are unlined leather gloves a good choice?

worth

Reaction score
I know the general rule in SF is you don't wear a tie without a jacket.

But can you wear a tie with a jacket other than a suit jacket?

I'm working a trade show this week and would like to wear a tie. I'll be outside and it will probably be raining. The attire is dress pants and a dress shirt with the windbreaker my company gave me to wear. Is it appropriate to wear a tie underneath this jacket? Thanks for the responses.

img3460copycopy.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads