• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Clubbing in the heat: what are some recommended outfits for 95F+ weather?

darknesis

Reaction score
I'm taking a trip to South America with my girlfriend and some friends, and we're going to be going out to clubs and bars quite a bit. I'd like to dress as cool as possible but at the same time look good. Girls have it easy in this department, guys don't look as good in short-sleeved shirts and shorts. Does anyone have any recommended outfits or clothing strategies to beat the heat? Thanks for your help!!

Captain Winky

Reaction score
South American vacation + lots of bars and clubs = inexpensive shirts you won't mind ruining/losing/wearing to the beach next day

I got some really great short sleeved patterned button-ups at H&M a couple weeks ago for about $13 each. They had pink, purple, light blue and navy, each with a white pattern (looks almost like a mini check from a distance). I'd get a few of those and one or two from them in linen too. You'll have a week's worth of button-ups for under $100.

If I were going to H&M I'd probably also snag a pair of their linen pants and white jeans for the trip (hey, when else will you get to wear the latter...)

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by darknesis
I'm taking a trip to South America with my girlfriend and some friends, and we're going to be going out to clubs and bars quite a bit. I'd like to dress as cool as possible but at the same time look good. Girls have it easy in this department, guys don't look as good in short-sleeved shirts and shorts. Does anyone have any recommended outfits or clothing strategies to beat the heat? Thanks for your help!!

It's pretty easy. Linen, and wovens, which tend to stand the heat more easily. If you are going to do jersey, try bamboo, which breathes easier than cotton. None of my South American friends go out to clubs and bars in shorts, ever. Easiest thing is to just go native. Travel really light (carry just an extra couple of outfits.) Go to the shopping district in one of the larger cities (I would recommend Buenos Aires) and find a store that suits your tastes. Pick up full outfits. Don't sweat the cost, since, well, you're on vacation.

If this doesn't work for you, pick up a few slim button downs in light, neutral colors. I usually go with one in white, one in a light grey, and one in a color like eggshell, and nearly always by Jil Sander or Prada (which fit me well). That, plus a couple of pairs of pants in tropical wool, in light colors (just slightly darker than your tops), a decent belt, and a pair of casual laceups (I like ndc, but your mileage may vary), and you are good to go. The added benefit is that all these clothes are pretty light. Oh, and bring a small card case that will hold an ID card (never needed, but it's a pretty good idea in a foreign country, just in case,) a single credit card, and cash. This way, if you lose your stuff (and it happens), you aren't SOL.

BTW, you are going to get super sweaty anyway. Be ready to wear and wash.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Captain Winky
South American vacation + lots of bars and clubs = inexpensive shirts you won't mind ruining/losing/wearing to the beach next day I got some really great short sleeved patterned button-ups at H&M a couple weeks ago for about $13 each. They had pink, purple, light blue and navy, each with a white pattern (looks almost like a mini check from a distance). I'd get a few of those and one or two from them in linen too. You'll have a week's worth of button-ups for under $100.
I have to disagree with this. A lot of South Americans (speaking in particular of Argentina here) really take dressing up to go out seriously, and you don't want to look like ****. I like the stretch poplin shirts from Prada and Jil Sander, which are going to look good throughout the night, though I do like the plainer Dries van Noten and Margiela shirts as well, and trousers by Margiela, Dries van Noten, and Paul Smith. I'll actually pack a linen sportsjacket as well. Again, vintage Margiela, but YMMV. It really depends on your particular look. Fuuma's recent looks are pretty representative of an "International" look, and honestly, I like super lightweight tees and sneakers, but I've found South America to be a little less accepting of tees and sneakers in clubs (ironically, the more expensive clubs usually allow a more varied look.) Also, I would eschew the Engineered Garments look unless you really own it. It doesn't travel well to South America (though it is popular in the UK, though in a more dandified version.)

cioni2k

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Brooks Brothers Slim-fit linen sport-shirts rolled up/cuffed are my go-to in the heat for going out

Captain Winky

Reaction score
Originally Posted by LA Guy
I have to disagree with this. A lot of South Americans (speaking in particular of Argentina here) really take dressing up to go out seriously, and you don't want to look like ****. I like the stretch poplin shirts from Prada and Jil Sander, which are going to look good throughout the night, though I do like the plainer Dries van Noten and Margiela shirts as well, and trousers by Margiela, Dries van Noten, and Paul Smith. I'll actually pack a linen sportsjacket as well. Again, vintage Margiela, but YMMV. It really depends on your particular look. Fuuma's recent looks are pretty representative of an "International" look, and honestly, I like super lightweight tees and sneakers, but I've found South America to be a little less accepting of tees and sneakers in clubs (ironically, the more expensive clubs usually allow a more varied look.)

Also, I would eschew the Engineered Garments look unless you really own it. It doesn't travel well to South America (though it is popular in the UK, though in a more dandified version.)

Not quite sure why you quoted me on this, I wouldn't advocate either tees or sneakers. I prefer to travel with inexpensive stuff, especially if I think I might be staying in places I wouldn't be able to care for the nice stuff, or may just want to throw on last night's shirt to walk to the beach/on a hike.

Even when I shop on the cheap, I still get stuff that fits really well and looks upscale, which is why I suggested H&M linen pants and button-up short sleeve shirts (none of this untucked dress shirt BS). I've never been to South America, but this was my strategy for Europe, two nice pairs of jeans, a good blazer and a bunch of button-ups that were all less than $50.

danracer

Reaction score
Originally Posted by prick
You'll be fine if you wear a vibrantly colored tee shirt with white linen pants. Don't wear jeans or chinos, as you'll sweat constantly and stand out in a bad way.
wtf thats bs you wont sweat thaaaat much going to a club at night jeans are fine to hang out with

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Captain Winky
Not quite sure why you quoted me on this, I wouldn't advocate either tees or sneakers. I prefer to travel with inexpensive stuff, especially if I think I might be staying in places I wouldn't be able to care for the nice stuff, or may just want to throw on last night's shirt to walk to the beach/on a hike.

Even when I shop on the cheap, I still get stuff that fits really well and looks upscale, which is why I suggested H&M linen pants and button-up short sleeve shirts (none of this untucked dress shirt BS). I've never been to South America, but this was my strategy for Europe, two nice pairs of jeans, a good blazer and a bunch of button-ups that were all less than $50.

I quoted you because I disagree with travelling with only inexpensive stuff. What's the point of keeping all your good stuff for home? Also, my working assumption is that if you are afraid to mess up your better stuff, you can't really own it. When I met Fuuma, he was wearing a Margiela jacket with the sleeves rolled because they were a little too long. He was smoking, and the room (SelfEdge NYC) was packed with people sloshing around beer and whiskey. imo, you need to take a "fucked if I care" attitude towards getting your stuff a little soiled if you are going to really look good in it. Fussiness is the opposite of cool.

Captain Winky

Reaction score
Originally Posted by LA Guy
I quoted you because I disagree with travelling with only inexpensive stuff. What's the point of keeping all your good stuff for home? Also, my working assumption is that if you are afraid to mess up your better stuff, you can't really own it. When I met Fuuma, he was wearing a Margiela jacket with the sleeves rolled because they were a little too long. He was smoking, and the room (SelfEdge NYC) was packed with people sloshing around beer and whiskey. imo, you need to take a "fucked if I care" attitude towards getting your stuff a little soiled if you are going to really look good in it. Fussiness is the opposite of cool.

I just feel that each outfit needs to serve more purposes when on a trip, if you travel light, and I have a lot of stuff I'd wear to go out in anywhere in the world but wouldn't wear to the beach, or to take a hike or send to a random hotel laundry if it started to stink.

I also don't believe in buying expensive new stuff just for a trip. If you need to fill a void simply to have a more trip-appropriate wardrobe, I'd just get something pretty cheap.

I Still always travel with my good jeans and shoes, because, well, I don't really buy cheap (in terms of MSRP) jeans or shoes.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads