• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Removing Sno-Seal from Cayman Boots (Saphir Renomat for Exotic?)

Nitro1261

Reaction score
Hi guys, First post on the forum but I've been lurking for years :)

About 4 years ago I bought a pair of Western boots, and the toe box is made of Caiman hide. I bought these 75% because the Caiman had this amazing light faded gradient to the color that was really interesting.

At the time I was living in Canada, so my wife and I decided that if I was going to wear these $800 boots more than 2 days a year I should probably protect them from the terrible weather, so we read some stuff online and bought Sno Seal thinking it would be good.

It didn't occur to me that it would completely remove that nice light colored gradient from the Caiman skin and make it a uniform darker brown color. Does it look bad? No I guess not. But, it made me go from "wow I adore these $800 boots" to "I guess one day if I find boots like that I'll just buy another pair again, but at least they're still cool in their own right."

I recently came across a Reddit thread where someone was discussing the removal of Son-Seal from their leather boots. They had gently heated the leather and kept wiping away the melted wax (or whatever it is that Sno Seal is made of) and got a substantial amount of it out of the hide.

He was looking for suggestions on getting the rest out. Some people suggested Acetone (there is no way I will ever touch Acetone to these boots!), and some others told him to forget the Acetone and just use Saphir Renomat.

I was excited to read all this, remembering that heating the leather did make the Sno Seal liquify during application 4 years ago, and thinking that maybe by using the Renomat it would really help at least get SOME of that waxiness out of the leather.

Then I saw on several websites about Renomat: "Not for use on Exotic leathers."

So, extremely long story short: Does anyone have any suggestions on trying to remove the Sno Seal? I know I've come across a few threads on here that said it can't be done... But I've found references elsewhere that suggest that it is possible, and will return at least some/most of the original appearance to the leather.

But the fact that it's Caiman hide makes me wonder what product is equivalent to Renomat, but appropriate for Caiman/Crododile/Alligator type leathers, and if anyone might have a suggestion on how to achieve what I'm looking to do.

Thanks! Hopefully someone has some ideas :)

[Edited to correct spelling of Cayman to Caiman - Couldn't edit the Post Title, sorry!]

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads