• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

NYC apartment rent ideas/recommendations

Torrente

Reaction score
Hi all,

The 5 of us will be traveling to New York in October. Will be there for the first time. Completely touristy.

Seeing that we would have to book at least 2 hotel rooms, we thought of maybe renting an apartment in Manhattan for 10 nights instead.

My question is do you have any recommendations in this regard; agencies, on-line sources, location recommendations, inside info, tourist trap warnings and such.

I would really appreciate it.

Kind regards,

Torrente

Btw. I read thru Mr.Moo's New York thread and gathered all relevant info. But if there are any other hotel ideas, besides the ones mentioned in that thread, I would greatly appreciate any of them.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
renting apts in nyc for tourists/vacations is generally against the law.

BrianVarick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Maybe someone on here will want to travel somewhere during your stay in NYC, and you can pay for half of their bill or something? It would be sweet if it worked out.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ter1413
renting apts in nyc for tourists/vacations is generally against the law.

what are you talking about? :roma:

OP, check VRBO

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
what are you talking about? :roma:

OP, check VRBO

If the OP goes to a site like craigslist, those apts are scams and illegal. VRBO is one place that does it the right way.

Torrente

Reaction score
Great guys !!! Thanks. Both of those sites look promising. Ill start digging.

We are looking at 500 USD tops per night. In a cool neighborhood. Something naturally lively away from standard Midtown locations.

Keep it coming please.

And if someone really is interested in renting their own apartment, I would consider any sensible ideas.

EDIT: I am going thru that VRBO site and its a gem. If you don't mind, once I narrow it down to a few options, Ill post them here and would appreciate your feedback. If thats ok.

Torrente

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good luck - in my experience, 500/night should get you something pretty decent. My parents used VRBO and got a nice 2 bedroom apt in Nolita last year for about $300/night. Would be a bit small for 5 people though.

heavy D

Reaction score
I was there for a week not too long ago with my band. We rented a flat (big enough to sleep 10 guys) for about $200 per night, in Park Slope. Got it off VRBO. Same thing when we were in Austin for SXSW. With a band that big we'd get killed on hotel rooms. Highly recommended.

Torrente

Reaction score
We have narrowed it down to a couple of nice apartments but the one that is most suitable for us (accommodation wise, size etc) is on 5th Av. / 30th street.

Its in Midtown, which we wanted to avoid, but the place looks reaaaly nice and comes recommended..

In short, what is your opinion on this address/location?

Thanks once again for all the info

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's fine - you're close to Bryant Park, the Ace Hotel. You can walk down to Chelsea in 5-10 mn, to Union Sq in 15 min.

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You're closer to Madison Square Park than Bryant Park.

That's kind of a nothing neighborhood, in that nothing's close - no restaurants, no grocery stores, only the BDFVNR subway stop at 32nd and 6th. Best test - go to hopstop.com and figure out how long it will take you to get to where you work and where your friends live.

[Should have read the whole thread. These are minor irritations if you're only here for 10 days]

You're also pretty close to CEGO, which is not a bad thing.

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
yea - meant MSP of course.

Torrente

Reaction score
Great guys. Thank you.

We definitely decided on this one. I'm just too tired to look any further. That VRBO site is endless.

Gdl, thank you for that recommendation.

The apartment in question is 2BR + living room, accommodating the 5 of us for 370 USD a night. If everything works out well, this will be a greatly affordable option. Seeing that the hotels we looked at, requiring 2 rooms, would run us around 350USD per room per night.

On a side note, I would like to use this opportunity to maybe purchase a watch thru Timezone using the local pick up arrangement from a NYC seller. Nothing too specific in mind yet, but contemplating options.

I’ll just follow the TZ sales corner couple of weeks prior to the trip. If anyone can recommend, on the other hand, a reliable vintage/second hand watch ‘’brick and mortar’’ establishment, please do.

Again, very grateful for all your help.

Torrente

poorsod

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by alliswell
You're closer to Madison Square Park than Bryant Park.

That's kind of a nothing neighborhood, in that nothing's close - no restaurants, no grocery stores, only the BDFVNR subway stop at 32nd and 6th

You don't think Korean town on 32nd between 5th and 6th counts? That place runs 24hrs 7 days a week with lots of restaurants, bars, spas and etc.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads