• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

NYC apartment rent ideas/recommendations

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
shog[1].gif

I walk through there every day, but at 8 in the morning - the one time it's quiet.

Torrente

Reaction score
Originally Posted by poorsod
You don't think Korean town on 32nd between 5th and 6th counts? That place runs 24hrs 7 days a week with lots of restaurants, bars, spas and etc.

Originally Posted by alliswell
shog[1].gif

I walk through there every day, but at 8 in the morning - the one time it's quiet.

Originally Posted by highfalutin
Why did you want to avoid Midtown? Too boring?

To be completely honest, I am basing the location decision on pure hearsay. I heard that Midtown is too busy with no small coffee shops and such. And I cherish my morning coffee/papers/smoke ritual, which does require a bit of peace and quiet. At least not overrun with Starbucks yuppie junkies and perplexed tourists.

It is the one place I don't want to limp to in the morning. All else we hope to be walking to.

I couldn't imagine any neighborhood being boring. I mean it is our first time in NY.

Last night we actually did decide to search some more. The 5th/30th apartment is on hold for two days. Any new places we find I’ll post the location here to hopefully get your opinions.

It is so interesting to see New Yorkers discussing the features and niche defined special neighborhood aspects. It’s like a parliamentary debate. Not so much in this thread as in Mr.Moo's NY trip topic. What is the basis for such different views from people who seem to be originating from same social groups?

fcuknu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There really is no culture in midtown, trust me, Ive lived there for 5 years. It is convenient though, depending where you are of course. If youre downtown and a friend wants to have dinner on the UWS or UES it can feel like its 100 miles away. When youre in midtown you have more flexibility, at least if your lazy

poorsod

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by fcuknu
There really is no culture in midtown, trust me, Ive lived there for 5 years. It is convenient though, depending where you are of course. If youre downtown and a friend wants to have dinner on the UWS or UES it can feel like its 100 miles away. When youre in midtown you have more flexibility, at least if your lazy

I don't think the lack of "culture" is the expression you are looking for to describe the sterile almost industrial feel to midtown. After all the MoMA, Carnegie hall, city center, all the broadway shows are in midtown. Instead, it is an area filled with tourists and office workers, and lacks the character of many NYC neighborhoods. For a tourist it is not a bad place to stay simply because it is easy to get anywhere. Once you are familiar with the city, then you can pick a neighborhood for you next visit.

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^ Correct - this coming from a non-nyc resident but frequent visitor. If I were to rent an apartment or even a hotel I would look to Downtown. That's were the restaurants, bars, clubs, shopping are. But I'm sure you'd pay dearly for the convenience.

Torrente

Reaction score
Well in continuation of this thread, here is an update and an additional help request.

We are travelling day after tomorrow. We have an apartment on UWS right next to Natural History Museum. I now a significant part of posters would not choose this location, but we got it for a good price and the apartment is supposed to be beautiful and spacious.

I have this trip semi-planned. I know some places we will go to, but for others its joust going to be a spur of the moment thing.

We have a walking tour scheduled for the first day (trip-advisor recommendation) just to get a feel of the city and make it easier to get around later by ourselves.

We have also dealt with theater, concerts, museums and trips. Will probably rent a car and head towards Boston for a day trip. Maybe stay the night if we feel like it.

In medias res, the things I would like your feedback on are these:

1.\tDo you have any knowledge of sales during this period (10 days starting Wednesday)? Shopping is not my priority for this trip, but I know I will not be able to help myself. I am familiar with the discount shops (C21 etc), but don't know of any standard sales at retailers.
2.\tA good place (discount?) for electronics? Cameras and laptops in Manhattan? Point and shoot recommendation while you are at it? Should I lush out for Olympus P1?
3.\tA good Gym in UWS?
4.\tI think all sports seasons are ongoing, but what would you recommend? Baseball, Football, Basketball, Hockey, for a European who hasn’t ever watched American Football or Baseball live? Is it possible to get tickets on the spot?
5.\tStand up comedy? Upright citizens brigade comes up everywhere. Any other?
6.\tGood underground record shop (not vinyl). Electronic music and contemporary jazz.
7.\tBookstore. Not the giant mainstream ones.
8.\tCocktail bars with a view and basement bars without one? Or a general area. Should we head towards Williamsburg?
9.\tShould we skip the Met if going to Cloisters and Whitney? Is New Museum of Contemporary Art worth the trip?
10.\tDoes NY Stock Exchange have any visitors arrangements? Is it for eg. possible to be there for the daily opening/closing?
11.\tShould we take a day trip to Washington by car (or some other means of transportation)? Is it too far and too much in addition to the Boston trip?
12.\tIs Coney Island worth the visit just for the sake of seeing it?
13.\tAny ideas on a good river tour? There are just too many on-line 
14.\tOff or off-off Broadway theater/play recommendation? Bought the tickets for West side story for now.
15.\tAny general UWS ideas for local moving?

Any help/snark is appreciated.

Torrente

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
1. Check soiffer haskin's website for any sample sale they could be running at that time
2. Avoid all the shops on Broadway and Times Square - I would recommend J&R or B&H if you're looking for a bunch of different electronic things. If specifically photo, the flatiron district is the photo district - check out Adorama and other neighboring stores
3. No idea but many gyms will give you a few free passes if you say you're considering joining
4. Basketball is probably the most enjoyable to watch IMO, but you need decent seats. Or you can always see if Thierry Henry is playing on home turf when you're here
5. No idea
6. Not sure - couple of stores on Bleecker and around NYU, not really underground
7. The Strand is worth a visit
8. There are many threads with many recommendations (PDT, Milk & Honey, Little Branch, Pegu, etc...)
9. Don't skip the Met if you've never been. New Museum sucks IMO
10. Think so. Check their website
11. Wouldn't do it.
12. Yes, I'd say a trip to Coney Island / Brighton Beach may be worth the subway trip if you can squeeze it in.
13. Circle Line, no?
14. For a musical, I'd go to Avenue Q for a good laugh. I liked Spring Awakening too and can be an interesting experience if you get seats on the stage.
15. Try Dovetail for dinner

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I don't get how driving to DC or Boston for a day sounds like a swell idea. Both trips are about 4 hours one way.

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Anyone know where I can find a 1 month sublet over the holidays? Mid-Dec to mid-Jan. 4-5K budget.

Torrente-

you don't need a gym. You'll be exhausted from walking everywhere.
Boston or Wash are a bad idea for a day. You're in NY.
The Met is a must see. Depending on what's on I would also do the Guggenheim. You can do it quickly and it's the Guggenheim.
I would hit some of the hotel lounges for drinks: King Cole, Bemelmans for the NY experience and great bar snacks. Don't go to Wllmsbrg.

lefty

Torrente

Reaction score
Great guys !!! Thanks
worship.gif
With regard to the Boston trip. The general idea is not the Boston itself, but the drive thru New England in fall, ivy league feel etc. Now I don't know
confused.gif
We are going to the Guggenheim and some others (MOMA etc.) I was just afraid of the Met. Just too big. And I know that I can't do it in a rush. I did Louvre in two days on two occasions and felt like I didn't commit enough. So that's why I prefer d'Orsay for example. One other Q, which I should know from following SF, but I don't. Is there a store in NYC that would be similar in concept to Collete in Paris or Dover Street Market in London? Leffot is open? For shoes? Any chance of finding decent shoes in C21 (EG, C&J, Barker Black...)?

Torrente

Reaction score
From Gonyc.com

New York Stock Exchange Cross Streets:
Wall Street between Broad and New Streets
New York Stock Exchange Admission Price/Hours:
Closed to tours indefinitely.
New York Stock Exchange Official Website:
http://nyse.com/
About the New York Stock Exchange:
For security purposes, the New York Stock Exchange has been closed to tours indefinitely.

musicboohoo[1].gif

Torrente

Reaction score
Originally Posted by lefty
Anyone know where I can find a 1 month sublet over the holidays? Mid-Dec to mid-Jan. 4-5K budget.

lefty

We used VRBO. All the landlords/owners I communicated with were very professional and timely. Would reccomend. Has a good search function.

But you probably now of this.

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Torrente
Great guys !!! Thanks
worship.gif

With regard to the Boston trip. The general idea is not the Boston itself, but the drive thru New England in fall, ivy league feel etc. Now I don't know
confused.gif

We are going to the Guggenheim and some others (MOMA etc.) I was just afraid of the Met. Just too big. And I know that I can't do it in a rush. I did Louvre in two days on two occasions and felt like I didn't commit enough. So that's why I prefer d'Orsay for example.

One other Q, which I should know from following SF, but I don't. Is there a store in NYC that would be similar in concept to Collete in Paris or Dover Street Market in London?

Leffot is open? For shoes?

Any chance of finding decent shoes in C21 (EG, C&J, Barker Black...)?

Head up to the Catskills if you want the leaf experience. You can also stop off at Woodbury for the shopping.

The Met is worth the trip - just pick a few sections and focus.

I can't think of a Collette equivalent - Jeffrey maybe.

You won't find decent shoes at C21.

Pick two neighbourhoods per day and walk them. It's a grid - you can't get lost.

lefty

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would suggest a shorter daytrip to Storm King and Stone Barns (eat at Blue Hill) rather than trek all the way to the Catskills.

Nothing is quite like Colette here but you'll find a few similar boutiques within a 15 min walk radius with Odin, Oak and Opening Ceremony in the Noho/Soho area

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads