• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Taking in sides of Brooks Brothers shirt. Cost?

bbb0777

Reaction score
I had one Brooks Brothers shirt's sides taken overseas by a local tailor (in a *very* wealthy area) for $18.

They did a beautiful job taking apart the seams and then re-doing them. Unless comparing side by side to see the difference (neither is better, just slightly different), one would never know the shirt had been taken in.

Thing is - they say this was substantially more difficult than they expected, due to the seams being glued (which upon inspection - yes, they seem to be). To take in any of my other BB shirts, they want $27/shirt. They definitely did quality work, but that seems awfully high!

I'm wondering - has anyone else had their Brooks Brothers shirts taken in recently, and if so, what price were you charged/quoted? These are BB slim-fit non-iron, btw.

Thanks.

Taxler

Reaction score
Non-Iron shirts have a finish that makes the fabric difficult to work with. I know of a few alteration shops that won't work with those at all.

bbb0777

Reaction score
I see. I may have to consider even just paying international shipping (both ways) to return these shirts to the US Brooks Brothers Center and get back 'extra-slim' versions. "Purchases may be exchanged or returned at any time", or so they say...that would be quite a bit cheaper than paying to alter my 5 other shirts.

intent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can you add darts instead?

bbb0777

Reaction score
Originally Posted by intent
Can you add darts instead?
Thanks, I don't know. I thought of that as well (my suit jacket is darted). This tailor never brought it up, and I wonder why? I've also been considering asking them about that, or rather, having someone else ask them, as the language barrier is a bit thick for questions pertaining to such a specialized field.

Mannix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Darts are easy to sew, so you could do it yourself for a cheap fix.

glowell222

Reaction score
When I buy BB shirts, it costs $15 to have them taken in and another $3 to have the cuff buttons moved to correctly fit my wrists, regardless of non-iron or untreated cotton.

intent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bluemagic
Get the extra-slim fit.
The problem with the extra-slim fit is that they don't come in non-iron.

musicguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mannix
Darts are easy to sew, so you could do it yourself for a cheap fix.

If you have a sewing machine, right? I can't imagine them being easy to do by hand.

dropout5

Reaction score
i have had luxury brooks bros shirts taken in recently by two tailors. one charges $17.50 and the other charges $30. The more expensive tailor definitely did a better job, but not sure it was worth almost twice as much. regardless, i find the alteration worth it. the shirts fit me so much better when taken in. if buying on clearance, having the alterations done is still less expensive than using my custom shirt guy.

suiturself

Reaction score
Originally Posted by theyare
How slim are the extra slim fit? Haven't had a chance to try them on yet.

I'm 6' and about 175 +-3 lbs and they fit me extremely well. The only problem is I wear a 15.5/35 and even have some 15.5/36 so stores rarely have my size. I get a lot of stuff online and the extra slim has been some of the best RTW fit shirts I've ever owned.

theyare

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by suiturself
I'm 6' and about 175 +-3 lbs and they fit me extremely well. The only problem is I wear a 15.5/35 and even have some 15.5/36 so stores rarely have my size. I get a lot of stuff online and the extra slim has been some of the best RTW fit shirts I've ever owned.

thanks. i'm about 6' but 160-165. Maybe they'll fit well with a just bit of taking in.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by intent
The problem with the extra-slim fit is that they don't come in non-iron.

That's your problem to begin with. Non-iron has this coating over them, which gives an awful appearance over time and makes the shirts wear out faster. Find a proper dry cleaner that will make them crisp for you. If you live in the sticks, buy a Rowenta.
wink.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads