• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The best Oxford shirt

multiccy-csa

Reaction score
Greetings all; resurrecting this thread after a few months. I am now fully signed up to Drake's, and am very happy with the fit, cloth and collar roll.
HOWEVER : how on earth am i to iron these things? No matter how much heat, steam, pressure and time, they always come out looking really quite shoddy, particularly the edges of the collar and the front placket.
See attached. This OCBD should be sharp and crisp, not wrinkled and crumpled.
Aside from sending to the dry cleaner, what trick am i missing?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231024_100407_Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20231024_100407_Photos.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 2,578

jeremygo

Reaction score
Greetings all; resurrecting this thread after a few months. I am now fully signed up to Drake's, and am very happy with the fit, cloth and collar roll.
HOWEVER : how on earth am i to iron these things? No matter how much heat, steam, pressure and time, they always come out looking really quite shoddy, particularly the edges of the collar and the front placket.
I usually wash cold, hang dry and then just use a clothing steamer on the Drake's shirts. That gets them 90% of the way there and honestly I think they look best a *little* unkempt. I only really iron my "formal" spread collar dress shirts these days.

jeremygo

Reaction score
I recently ordered a university stripe oxford from Junior's and am excited to see how it compares with my shirts from Drake's, Kamakura, etc. Worked with Glenn there to put together a custom size based on the Drake's fit, which works really nicely for me. Glenn was great to order through as well!

Buggy

Reaction score
I recently ordered a university stripe oxford from Junior's and am excited to see how it compares with my shirts from Drake's, Kamakura, etc. Worked with Glenn there to put together a custom size based on the Drake's fit, which works really nicely for me. Glenn was great to order through as well!
What was price on a custom size? I’ve been wanting to get to his store, so might be interested in making the trip to Philly from NYC.

Shirtmaven

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
What was price on a custom size? I’ve been wanting to get to his store, so might be interested in making the trip to Philly from NYC.
They are being made in either of 2 factories in NJ. Neither one is worth the trip from NYC to be measured in phila unless you have other plans. Nothing personal about Glenn as I have never met him.

circumspice

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am messing around with forum affiliate Larimars as my take on oxfords is peculiar:

I don't like button down collars
I'd like an unfused collar+cuffs with oxford cloth
Box pleat in the back is nice detail, but I don't require it
I don't need/want breast pockets as these are almost uniformly worn with a coat or sweater over them
My arms are a bit long for my frame

I was able to do the above for short money and get a bunch of oxfords with a soft handle.

Drake's - nice stuff, but the sleeve length can be a bit problematic. Current retail pricing means I'd need to be over the moon with delight and the sleeve length likely isn't getting me there
Kamakura - to get enough sleeve length, NY (Not all that) Slim is really the only RTW model that works for me. It has fused collar and cuffs for non-button down oxfords.

Basically, I can geek out on beautifully made dress shirts at a Caleffi, etc but I don't think I need > US$200+ oxfords - it is a bit like "How expensive should vodka be, exactly?", the diminishing returns for me kick in much lower than with other shirtings

Freshnewduds23

Reaction score
Heya

Any images of the Junior's OCBD? I'm looking to order one and was wondering how yours turned out!

wdahab

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Came across this question, and the arcane knowledge is: iron it while it's still wet straight out of the washing machine, and *then* hang dry. Night and day difference, vs trying to iron it after it's dried.

I asked my cleaners how they get my OCBDs so perfectly pressed, and they told me this is the secret. It works really great, though honestly my cleaner's per shirt wash/iron is so inexpensive I still mostly just have them do it.

Shirtmaven

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Came across this question, and the arcane knowledge is: iron it while it's still wet straight out of the washing machine, and *then* hang dry. Night and day difference, vs trying to iron it after it's dried.

I asked my cleaners how they get my OCBDs so perfectly pressed, and they told me this is the secret. It works really great, though honestly my cleaner's per shirt wash/iron is so inexpensive I still mostly just have them do it.
If you hang the shirt to dry after washing, just use a spray bottle to moisten the shirt before pressing

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am messing around with forum affiliate Larimars as my take on oxfords is peculiar:

I don't like button down collars
I'd like an unfused collar+cuffs with oxford cloth
Box pleat in the back is nice detail, but I don't require it
I don't need/want breast pockets as these are almost uniformly worn with a coat or sweater over them
My arms are a bit long for my frame

I was able to do the above for short money and get a bunch of oxfords with a soft handle.

Drake's - nice stuff, but the sleeve length can be a bit problematic. Current retail pricing means I'd need to be over the moon with delight and the sleeve length likely isn't getting me there
Kamakura - to get enough sleeve length, NY (Not all that) Slim is really the only RTW model that works for me. It has fused collar and cuffs for non-button down oxfords.

Basically, I can geek out on beautifully made dress shirts at a Caleffi, etc but I don't think I need > US$200+ oxfords - it is a bit like "How expensive should vodka be, exactly?", the diminishing returns for me kick in much lower than with other shirtings

I've bought Hilditch and Key cutaway and spread collar Oxfords, not recently.
They are very well-made and tend to be quite full. I wear the contemporary
cut (slimmer) which has a 50 inch chest in a 16.5. This is fine for my thick
build. Problem is that they don't run many oxfords every season, so the
blue oxfords have not been available for a few years. Meager selection
this season, although the white is the same style as my blues.

Last edited:

goonerble

Reaction score
Hi guys, following up here. I’m quite short , 5”7 with a regular build and looking for a good Oxford that I can wear that doesn’t feel like a dress untucked haha.

I’ve seen Kamakura mentioned, have any fellow shorter guys liked the fit there? Any other recommendations ?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads