• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I have a jean...(The Ultimate Jean Thread For Beginners) - ask questions here.

KitAkira

Wait! Wait! I gots an opinion!
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dls6128
I'm 6'0 with long legs, so I take a 36" inseam for stacking (the grey jeans I was wearing in my last WAYWT fit are a 36" inseam, for example). RRLs and APCs both require me to size down to <30, where the inseams stop at 34" for most brands (I'd take a 28 or so in APC and a 29 in RRL). Thanks for the suggestions, though, I'll check those out. I'd prefer something cheaper, but it's a start. I was thinking about Somets -- I'll check them out.
If you're extending your price to that range, you're opening up a lot more options. Skulls, Samurai, etc.

Flex

Reaction score
Hi. This is my first post. I just want to say I'm a n00b when it comes to jean shopping because I usually just wear shorts. I'm in the market for some jeans and I was searching just random celebrities and came up with 2 pics of the style in particular i'm looking for http://www.whyfame.com/gossip/2009/m...main_10313.jpg http://www.whyfame.com/gossip/2009/f...main_10185.jpg I'm not sure whether they are relaxed straight or just straight. Some lady told me that you can sometimes tell which jean company makes them by the wash...I was like WTF...no way. Any help is appreciated. I noticed in some previous posts some guys posting their height....I'm a 5'9 height so again, any help is appreciated.

mlyngard

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dillardiv
Looking for some selvage jeans to go with my WH service boots. A bootcut is necessary, as I hate having the thighs and seat baggy just to have a wide enough leg opening for the boots. Suggestions?
Assuming those are the 'fold-down' boot? If those aren't fold-down boots, then any straight-leg cut should work. Or tapered. I wear both with boots all the time. My jeans do occasionally catch on quick-lace eyelets like on Aldens though. Look at anything with a straight-leg cut with a leg opening around 8" and you should be fine. Straight-leg is a better call than any boot-cut. That said, almost any Japanese denim brand you see that you like will likely have a true boot-cut: Skull, Momotaro, Samurai, SDA, Flat Head, etc.

Yogurt

Reaction score
Hey I'm on the lookout for a pair of dark red slim tapered selvage jeans. Similar in fit to the Uniqlo T-000 (Unfortunately I can't find these on the Uniqlo website anymore along with the fact that Uniqlo doesn't ship to Australia).

Thanks.

Vaitek

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Vaitek
I'm in the market for a bluer pair of nice denims, I think I have enough of the darker ones. Dark navy, indigo, etc. Straight, not tight, but slimmer straight is fine.

I was eyeballing these, but that price tag put them out of my range which is too bad because I do like the color and cut.

http://www.contextclothing.com/item.php?id=1007

1980_hand_dye.jpg

Any of you guys have suggestions on similar cuts/color to this out there? Thanks!

Posted this a while ago in the same thread, but didn't get a response. I'd love a response on this as I'd love to find a jean similar to this cut/color on the market. If there were more available in my size I'd probabably buy them at this point, but hindsight and all that jazz...
musicboohoo[1].gif

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Flex
Hi. This is my first post. I just want to say I'm a n00b when it comes to jean shopping because I usually just wear shorts. I'm in the market for some jeans and I was searching just random celebrities and came up with 2 pics of the style in particular i'm looking for http://www.whyfame.com/gossip/2009/m...main_10313.jpg http://www.whyfame.com/gossip/2009/f...main_10185.jpg I'm not sure whether they are relaxed straight or just straight. Some lady told me that you can sometimes tell which jean company makes them by the wash...I was like WTF...no way. Any help is appreciated. I noticed in some previous posts some guys posting their height....I'm a 5'9 height so again, any help is appreciated.
Relaxed straight, or he has chicken legs. And whatever you do, don't buy pre-distressed like those. It just looks cheesy.

KitAkira

Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Yogurt
Hey I'm on the lookout for a pair of dark red slim tapered selvage jeans. Similar in fit to the Uniqlo T-000 (Unfortunately I can't find these on the Uniqlo website anymore along with the fact that Uniqlo doesn't ship to Australia). Thanks.
Drop the selvedge requirement and you'll find it a lot easier.

Yogurt

Reaction score
Yeah thought as much. Just pretty bummed out about uniqlo no longer having them.

Anywhere i can get a pair of slim tapered dark red jeans then? Preferably ones that aren't mall brand. Don't really care about the color of the weft, as I'm not going to be wearing them nearly as often as my indigo/black jeans.

KitAkira

Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I'm sure there's a lot of designer options, maybe Cheap Monday, Julian Red, I've seen a nice pair of Diors, maybe Levis?

brosnan6

Reaction score
Originally Posted by brosnan6
I know that waist stretches on most denim, but do other parts of the jean as well? I just picked up a pair of Nudie Grim Tims and the calves fit quite snugly. They aren't quite snug to the point of uncomfortable, but quite snug overall. Will this area stretch over time? If not, looks like I'll be going with a super skinny leg look...

Bump...anybody?

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

KitAkira

Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
There's also a couple of pairs of DRKSHDW jeans on Yoox in the maroon color (pretty dark)

mlyngard

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by brosnan6
Bump...anybody?
To add a bit to Connor's advice: In my experience, calves don't stretch nearly as much as other areas, but they can and will (to Connor's point) if under pressure. New jeans always make you hyper-conscious of the fit - it happens to us all. Wear them as much as possible for a few weeks before making a decision on the fit - the jeans will soften and stretch quite a bit to form to your body and you'll also get used to the feeling of a tighter or looser fit than you might be used to. Any raw or stiffer denim is going to require some commitment before they even come close to feeling natural on you. Edit - also, if your calves are tight, that was probably the intention of the cut. It's intended to create fast stacking around the lower leg and eventual honeycombs behind your knees. If they're an inch or two longer than you're used to, don't hem yet.

cb_32

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey guys this is my first post here.

Not too long ago I bought some cheap mondays, and they are my first pair of raw denim.

My question is, how can I get the best fades out of them?

I have been wearing them almost everyday since purchasing them, and they have broken in pretty well, however the waist is a little too loose, should I get it taken in by an inch?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads