I have a jean...(The Ultimate Jean Thread For Beginners) - ask questions here.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by whodini, Jan 28, 2008.

1. KitAkira

KitAkira Wait! Wait! I gots an opinion!

I'm 6'0 with long legs, so I take a 36" inseam for stacking (the grey jeans I was wearing in my last WAYWT fit are a 36" inseam, for example). RRLs and APCs both require me to size down to <30, where the inseams stop at 34" for most brands (I'd take a 28 or so in APC and a 29 in RRL). Thanks for the suggestions, though, I'll check those out. I'd prefer something cheaper, but it's a start. I was thinking about Somets -- I'll check them out.
    If you're extending your price to that range, you're opening up a lot more options. Skulls, Samurai, etc.

2. Flex

Flex Member

Hi. This is my first post. I just want to say I'm a n00b when it comes to jean shopping because I usually just wear shorts. I'm in the market for some jeans and I was searching just random celebrities and came up with 2 pics of the style in particular i'm looking for http://www.whyfame.com/gossip/2009/m...main_10313.jpg http://www.whyfame.com/gossip/2009/f...main_10185.jpg I'm not sure whether they are relaxed straight or just straight. Some lady told me that you can sometimes tell which jean company makes them by the wash...I was like WTF...no way. Any help is appreciated. I noticed in some previous posts some guys posting their height....I'm a 5'9 height so again, any help is appreciated.

3. mlyngard

mlyngard Senior member

Looking for some selvage jeans to go with my WH service boots. A bootcut is necessary, as I hate having the thighs and seat baggy just to have a wide enough leg opening for the boots. Suggestions?
    Assuming those are the 'fold-down' boot? If those aren't fold-down boots, then any straight-leg cut should work. Or tapered. I wear both with boots all the time. My jeans do occasionally catch on quick-lace eyelets like on Aldens though. Look at anything with a straight-leg cut with a leg opening around 8" and you should be fine. Straight-leg is a better call than any boot-cut. That said, almost any Japanese denim brand you see that you like will likely have a true boot-cut: Skull, Momotaro, Samurai, SDA, Flat Head, etc.

4. Yogurt

Yogurt Member

Hey I'm on the lookout for a pair of dark red slim tapered selvage jeans. Similar in fit to the Uniqlo T-000 (Unfortunately I can't find these on the Uniqlo website anymore along with the fact that Uniqlo doesn't ship to Australia).

Thanks.

5. Vaitek

Vaitek Senior member

I'm in the market for a bluer pair of nice denims, I think I have enough of the darker ones. Dark navy, indigo, etc. Straight, not tight, but slimmer straight is fine.

I was eyeballing these, but that price tag put them out of my range which is too bad because I do like the color and cut.

http://www.contextclothing.com/item.php?id=1007

[​IMG]

Any of you guys have suggestions on similar cuts/color to this out there? Thanks!

Posted this a while ago in the same thread, but didn't get a response. I'd love a response on this as I'd love to find a jean similar to this cut/color on the market. If there were more available in my size I'd probabably buy them at this point, but hindsight and all that jazz... [​IMG]

6. cptjeff

cptjeff Senior member

Hi. This is my first post. I just want to say I'm a n00b when it comes to jean shopping because I usually just wear shorts. I'm in the market for some jeans and I was searching just random celebrities and came up with 2 pics of the style in particular i'm looking for http://www.whyfame.com/gossip/2009/m...main_10313.jpg http://www.whyfame.com/gossip/2009/f...main_10185.jpg I'm not sure whether they are relaxed straight or just straight. Some lady told me that you can sometimes tell which jean company makes them by the wash...I was like WTF...no way. Any help is appreciated. I noticed in some previous posts some guys posting their height....I'm a 5'9 height so again, any help is appreciated.
    Relaxed straight, or he has chicken legs. And whatever you do, don't buy pre-distressed like those. It just looks cheesy.

7. KitAkira

Hey I'm on the lookout for a pair of dark red slim tapered selvage jeans. Similar in fit to the Uniqlo T-000 (Unfortunately I can't find these on the Uniqlo website anymore along with the fact that Uniqlo doesn't ship to Australia). Thanks.
    Drop the selvedge requirement and you'll find it a lot easier.

8. Yogurt

Yogurt Member

Yeah thought as much. Just pretty bummed out about uniqlo no longer having them.

Anywhere i can get a pair of slim tapered dark red jeans then? Preferably ones that aren't mall brand. Don't really care about the color of the weft, as I'm not going to be wearing them nearly as often as my indigo/black jeans.

9. KitAkira

I'm sure there's a lot of designer options, maybe Cheap Monday, Julian Red, I've seen a nice pair of Diors, maybe Levis?

10. brosnan6

brosnan6 Well-Known Member

I know that waist stretches on most denim, but do other parts of the jean as well? I just picked up a pair of Nudie Grim Tims and the calves fit quite snugly. They aren't quite snug to the point of uncomfortable, but quite snug overall. Will this area stretch over time? If not, looks like I'll be going with a super skinny leg look...

Bump...anybody?

11. connor

connor Senior member

everything that is being stressed will stretch.

12. cptjeff

cptjeff Senior member

I'm sure there's a lot of designer options, maybe Cheap Monday, Julian Red, I've seen a nice pair of Diors, maybe Levis?

Wrangler makes slim cowboy cuts in that color, but they're not really tapered. Price is good and the denim is tough though.

http://www.drysdales.com/Mens/Jeans/...eans.html#nogo

13. KitAkira

There's also a couple of pairs of DRKSHDW jeans on Yoox in the maroon color (pretty dark)

14. mlyngard

mlyngard Senior member

Bump...anybody?
    To add a bit to Connor's advice: In my experience, calves don't stretch nearly as much as other areas, but they can and will (to Connor's point) if under pressure. New jeans always make you hyper-conscious of the fit - it happens to us all. Wear them as much as possible for a few weeks before making a decision on the fit - the jeans will soften and stretch quite a bit to form to your body and you'll also get used to the feeling of a tighter or looser fit than you might be used to. Any raw or stiffer denim is going to require some commitment before they even come close to feeling natural on you. Edit - also, if your calves are tight, that was probably the intention of the cut. It's intended to create fast stacking around the lower leg and eventual honeycombs behind your knees. If they're an inch or two longer than you're used to, don't hem yet.

15. cb_32

cb_32 Senior member

Hey guys this is my first post here.

Not too long ago I bought some cheap mondays, and they are my first pair of raw denim.

My question is, how can I get the best fades out of them?

I have been wearing them almost everyday since purchasing them, and they have broken in pretty well, however the waist is a little too loose, should I get it taken in by an inch?