I have a jean...(The Ultimate Jean Thread For Beginners) - ask questions here.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by whodini, Jan 28, 2008.

1. Rosenberg

Rosenberg Senior member

Does selvedge have to have the red line?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Are these legit?

No it doesn't have to have a red line, but it strikes me as odd that the title says "redline" when there is clearly no red line

2. altemp

altemp Senior member

If I'm 28 in dior 19cm MIJ, should I go for 27 in the MII raws? I've heard they stretch more so I just want to make sure.

3. dls6128

dls6128 Senior member

Any suggestions for a jean similar to Levi's 511 with:

•Â button fly
    • low-rise
    • 36" inseam

I was looking at 3sixteen ST210, but the mid-rise is putting me off. I've also tried RRL Slim fits and APC PS, but I can't get a 36 inseam in my waist size (my jeans measure 32" when laid flat). I'd like to stay under $200 if possible.

4. jgold47

jgold47 Senior member

No it doesn't have to have a red line, but it strikes me as odd that the title says "redline" when there is clearly no red line

I think its there. Just very faint.

5. daravelli

daravelli New Member

Hi. First post here. I'm looking for a pair of jeans that fit like the diesel kuratt which were apparently discontinued. I have searched the forums elsewhere and have found two suggestions but both of those styles have also been discontinued! Anyone? Thanks for your help in advance.

6. Nopike343

Nopike343 Senior member

I'm looking for a pair of quality denim jeans that have a mid rise, straight to slighly tapered leg, a somewhat slim fit and must have a zip fly.

I recently purchased jean shop rocker and am looking for something similar. Any suggestions are appreciated.

7. mlyngard

mlyngard Senior member

Does selvedge have to have the red line?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Are these legit?

Those are legit. Depending on the mill and lot of denim, that selvage line might have a red band or not. Traditionally, Cone Mills 12oz denim does and did have a red line. 'Redline' is also a more generic term for Levis selvage jeans, but I'm not sure when Levis actually introduced hat term (50s maybe?).

I'm looking for a pair of quality denim jeans that have a mid rise, straight to slighly tapered leg, a somewhat slim fit and must have a zip fly.

I recently purchased jean shop rocker and am looking for something similar. Any suggestions are appreciated.

You'll want to email Self Edge and ask about their Real Japan Blues line. The 106 slim cut is what you're looking for.

Many Japanese lines have zip-fly for their slim cuts, but it's less popular here in the States. As a result, Blue in Green and SE try and get button-fly when they can. It's worth an email to both of those shops to ask about zip-fly, slim fit cut. You may be able to special order.

If you like Jean shop but want a non-sanforized version of that type of denim, you're best off looking for jeans with 'Zimbabwe' cotton blend denim. Very smooth and not very slubby.

8. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

Are there any cheaper (less than $200) jeans out there that have the same, or very similar fit, as APC new standards?

I just got a new pair and the fit is exactly what I want, but the inseam is way too short (34L). I need at least a 36 and honestly, while the fit is spot on, the inseam is making me less than 100% happy with these jeans.

So yeah, any jeans out there that are longer than 34L and fit similar to the NS? (Raw, of course)

9. mlyngard

mlyngard Senior member

Any suggestions for a jean similar to Levi's 511 with:

"¢Â button fly
    "¢ low-rise
    "¢ 36" inseam

I was looking at 3sixteen ST210, but the mid-rise is putting me off. I've also tried RRL Slim fits and APC PS, but I can't get a 36 inseam in my waist size (my jeans measure 32" when laid flat). I'd like to stay under $200 if possible.

Why do you need a 36" inseam? Also, what's your target rise? Sounds like around 9.5"-10" or so? Keep in mind that the rise and inseam on sanforized denim models won't change much, but that shrink-to-fit denim size charts are usually pre-wash and you'll loose .5-1" in rise and up to 2-3" in the inseam from shrinking.

If price point isn't an issue, you'll probably want to look at some of the slim, tapered cuts like Flat Head BSP, Dry Bones Red-D, KMW 'Rocker' cut, Jean Shop 'Skinny' cut, Somet 003 or 008 (very low rises on those), Skull 5010. All excellent jeans. All have very smooth denim too (except Flat Head, which is slightly slubby).

10. mlyngard

mlyngard Senior member

Are there any cheaper (less than $200) jeans out there that have the same, or very similar fit, as APC new standards? I just got a new pair and the fit is exactly what I want, but the inseam is way too short (34L). I need at least a 36 and honestly, while the fit is spot on, the inseam is making me less than 100% happy with these jeans. So yeah, any jeans out there that are longer than 34L and fit similar to the NS? (Raw, of course)
    Email this question to Blue in Green and Self Edge too. They probably already have a cut-and-paste response to this. Also, take a look through this thread for under-$200 jeans options. Epaulet's might fit the bill.

11. connor

connor Senior member

dls i think your build is perfect for somets

12. Dillardiv

Dillardiv Senior member

Looking for some selvage jeans to go with my WH service boots. A bootcut is necessary, as I hate having the thighs and seat baggy just to have a wide enough leg opening for the boots. Suggestions?

13. brosnan6

brosnan6 Well-Known Member

I know that waist stretches on most denim, but do other parts of the jean as well? I just picked up a pair of Nudie Grim Tims and the calves fit quite snugly. They aren't quite snug to the point of uncomfortable, but quite snug overall. Will this area stretch over time? If not, looks like I'll be going with a super skinny leg look...

14. IIIrd Icon

IIIrd Icon Senior member

Looking for some selvage jeans to go with my WH service boots. A bootcut is necessary, as I hate having the thighs and seat baggy just to have a wide enough leg opening for the boots. Suggestions?
    PBJ 005/007 have that BC effect/look tho' they're actually straight with zero taper from knee to hem.

Xposted:
    PBJ 004 & SDA 105 >> [scroll down] http://www.styleforum.net/showthread...=163400&page=2

15. dls6128

dls6128 Senior member

Why do you need a 36" inseam? Also, what's your target rise? Sounds like around 9.5"-10" or so? Keep in mind that the rise and inseam on sanforized denim models won't change much, but that shrink-to-fit denim size charts are usually pre-wash and you'll loose .5-1" in rise and up to 2-3" in the inseam from shrinking.

If price point isn't an issue, you'll probably want to look at some of the slim, tapered cuts like Flat Head BSP, Dry Bones Red-D, KMW 'Rocker' cut, Jean Shop 'Skinny' cut, Somet 003 or 008 (very low rises on those), Skull 5010. All excellent jeans. All have very smooth denim too (except Flat Head, which is slightly slubby).

I'm 6'0 with long legs, so I take a 36" inseam for stacking (the grey jeans I was wearing in my last WAYWT fit are a 36" inseam, for example). RRLs and APCs both require me to size down to <30, where the inseams stop at 34" for most brands (I'd take a 28 or so in APC and a 29 in RRL). Thanks for the suggestions, though, I'll check those out. I'd prefer something cheaper, but it's a start.

dls i think your build is perfect for somets

I was thinking about Somets -- I'll check them out.