• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

aj_del

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is the true 3 button suit dead ? I didnt want to start a new thread for this but I am considering buying this suit http://store.ehaberdasher.com/Detail.bok?no=4334. It seems to be a true 3 button. I am not a big follower of trends but also dont want to buy something which is obviously out of current favour.

I would appreciate your thoughts

spst_grys1a.jpg

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A nice conservative 3 button is never a bad idea IMO.

poissa

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Master-Classter
1. Is that cotton? 2. shoulders look a bit wide but by most people's standards it's an ok base to work off. If you can spend less then $50 at a tailors getting the back taken in so the thing has some "shape" (top back of the neck might actually need to be taken out) then I'd say "yea", it's not too bad. sleeves also a tiny bit long but I probably wouldn't spend the money to fix that. once the back tightens up, the sleeves will probably pull up a little more as you move. 3. Middle button only. Bottom always stays undone, top (3button) generally does too) 4. Color might not be the best for your skin tone however. Still acceptable though. I'd suggest looking up pics of guys like you online and finding the right shades of shirts and jackets. Examples: Yes, Yes, No (ok actually it's really only the red shirt, but the suit is a good color.) - generally complimentary shades of grey or brown, and navy look good. I'm no expert on this stuff though, I'd suggest doing some research on color-matching.
1. it is cotton. Helmut Lang fwiw. 2. good, i'm hoping to hear some further agreement but thats comforting. 3. oops, wasn't aware 3 button protocol. 4. i'm too conservative to wear something dark and I can see why its a mistake on someone with a similar complexion. thanks again for those pants
smile.gif
I'd wear them today but its rainy.

onix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by spcl-k
Can you convert a 40L to a 40R?

No. You can have a jacket shorten by maximum 1 inch, after that everything will be thrown out of proportion (buttoning position, pocket position), natural waist, etc.,.

D Yizz

Reaction score
This may sound funny and/or stupid, but please bear with me. The inner thigh area of my suit pants near the crotch always ends up wearing down to the point of making holes in my wool pants. Thing is I am not overweight, but my thighs are bulky due to weight training/bike riding. I have lost many otherwise great condition suits because of this. I know I probably should buy 2 pants and 1 jacket, but would it be advisable to sew a little patch from the hem fabric? The area where thois happens is not visible, even when sitting. Thoughts, ideas?

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by D Yizz
This may sound funny and/or stupid, but please bear with me. The inner thigh area of my suit pants near the crotch always ends up wearing down to the point of making holes in my wool pants. Thing is I am not overweight, but my thighs are bulky due to weight training/bike riding. I have lost many otherwise great condition suits because of this. I know I probably should buy 2 pants and 1 jacket, but would it be advisable to sew a little patch from the hem fabric? The area where thois happens is not visible, even when sitting. Thoughts, ideas?
If the patch were not visible, I would at least try that before trashing the suit. That happens to me on all my jeans, but has never happened on chinos or wool trousers for some reason. I am not sure why it happens only on jeans but my guess is that the legs on the jeans rub against each other as I walk and the legs on my wool trousers do not rub against each other because they are fuller-cut than my jeans. If that is the correct explanation, then you need trousers that are fuller-cut through your thighs.

symbebekos

Reaction score
Is anyone making unbranded mesh (pique) polo shirts that are cut straight across at the bottom, no tennis tail? My gold standard used to be Land's End (seriously!) but they've now moved to a longer tail in the back.

Westbound

Reaction score
Anyone know what size I'd be in the F last, Old English Oxford by Vass? Not sure whether I'd be a 42.5 or 43. Was told that UK9E equates to a 42.5. So generally speaking, UK9E = 10D/E and 42.5 equates to the same thing? US 10D/E?

Pretty much a 10D across the board. UK9E in 348 by C&J. UK9E JL7000/8000. 10D Alden. 10 in sneakers, etc.

TrailofTears

Reaction score
Originally Posted by TrailofTears
Can someone tell me if it's possible to have a tailor let the width out on the arms of a suit jacket? I picked up a RLBL in my size, but if I bend my arms they really stress the fabric. I don't even understand, because I'm pretty damn lean by anyone's standards. Thanks for the help/replies.

Can anyone give some advice here? Thanks.

EZETHATSME

Reaction score
Originally Posted by TrailofTears
Can anyone give some advice here? Thanks.

I think a competent tailor could do so IF there is fabric to be let out. I've never had it done myself. Any of our forum tailors have an answer?

EZ

binge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
+1. It depends on so many variables that the only way to know for sure is to take it to your tailor and ask.

TrailofTears

Reaction score
Originally Posted by EZETHATSME
I think a competent tailor could do so IF there is fabric to be let out. I've never had it done myself. Any of our forum tailors have an answer?

EZ

Originally Posted by binge
+1. It depends on so many variables that the only way to know for sure is to take it to your tailor and ask.

Thanks, guys. I wasn't sure it was something people knew about RLBL suits, or something that was frequently done. I'll take it to my tailor today to see what he can do. I appreciate the help.

EZETHATSME

Reaction score
Hopefully it works. Keep us posted, as it's something interesting to know.

EZ

poissa

Reaction score
I want to get something similar to a bib. I'm kind of a messy eater, fruits also tend to squirt quite a bit. Any suggestions?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads