1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 9: A MTM nylon MA-1 bomber from Falcon Garments

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 6th auction of the year is for a nylon MA-1 from Falcon garments. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Master-Classter, Sep 28, 2008.

1. squelchy451

squelchy451 Senior Member

I know i asked earlier but ppl were asking some stuff

Black suit (black blazer and trousers) + dark coloured shirt (i have burgundy and dark gray) + black tie (2 inches at wides point). More formal than just jeans + button down shirt but less so than where you need a suit. I'm still in college early 20s

Good or no?

2. JesterM

JesterM Well-Known Member

Since it's getting warmer what's the best way to preserve sweaters besides throwing them in a box for the summer? Should they be drycleaned first and encased in plastic and sealed. Or is it as simple as folding them and putting them in a drawer?

3. squelchy451

squelchy451 Senior Member

Since it's getting warmer what's the best way to preserve sweaters besides throwing them in a box for the summer? Should they be drycleaned first and encased in plastic and sealed. Or is it as simple as folding them and putting them in a drawer?

Whatever you do get some anti-moth stuff. One summer I had one of my sweaters ruined because of some moths >[​IMG]

4. EZETHATSME

EZETHATSME Senior Member

I know i asked earlier but ppl were asking some stuff

Black suit (black blazer and trousers) + dark coloured shirt (i have burgundy and dark gray) + black tie (2 inches at wides point). More formal than just jeans + button down shirt but less so than where you need a suit. I'm still in college early 20s

Good or no?

The blazer and trousers will look much better with a white shirt than the burgundy or gray. The contrast is what makes it look sharp.

EZ

5. binge

binge Distinguished Member

I've never had a moth problem where I live. I just fold 'em away. OTOH it does get chilly here in the summer, so I don't put them into the deep freeze.

6. deveandepot1

deveandepot1 Distinguished Member

If they are dirty or smell I would hand wash them and lay them flat on a towel to dry.

7. kgmessier

kgmessier Distinguished Member

This may sound like a silly question, but check my post count and you'll see I'm not at all well-versed in all things sartorial (yet!).

So I'm wondering if someone can point me in the direction of some thread, site or book that will help me understand what is considered proper fit for various basic garments (i.e., shirts, trousers, jackets, etc.). I'm quickly coming to the realization that fit is paramount, and I want to avoid making poor fit choices before going out an building my wardrobe.

- Keith

8. onix

onix Distinguished Member

This may sound like a silly question, but check my post count and you'll see I'm not at all well-versed in all things sartorial (yet!). So I'm wondering if someone can point me in the direction of some thread, site or book that will help me understand what is considered proper fit for various basic garments (i.e., shirts, trousers, jackets, etc.). I'm quickly coming to the realization that fit is paramount, and I want to avoid making poor fit choices before going out an building my wardrobe. - Keith
    An essential read: Dressing the Man by Alan Flusser. There are many good threads here talking about good fit. However, none is as comprehensive as that book. The shorter version, Clothes and the Man, is also very good.

9. poissa

poissa Senior Member

what is the cloth that you can button to your shirt for keeping your attire clean?

10. kgmessier

kgmessier Distinguished Member

An essential read: Dressing the Man by Alan Flusser. There are many good threads here talking about good fit. However, none is as comprehensive as that book. The shorter version, Clothes and the Man, is also very good.
    Thank you! The book is now on order.

11. acecow

acecow Distinguished Member

I wonder if it is completely atrocious to wear a light colored (kind of beige) linen suit to a classical concert in the evening. It fits me very well and has been to a tailor. The problem is that I have no other suits, so it's either this or a shirt/tie/sweater combo. As an option I could wear the jacket with gray pants.

What would you recommend?

Thanks!

12. firenze_rob

firenze_rob Senior Member

Just acquired a new Belstaff waxed cotton jacket. Anyone have ideas on where to get alterations in NYC?

13. runner-guy

runner-guy Distinguished Member

14. Motorsport226

Motorsport226 Senior Member

Just ordered a pair of these Born Harrison boots off ebay. What do you guys think?

http://www.shoebuy.com/pi/bornh/born..._105589_jb.jpg

Eh, not that bad. Definitely better than the other options you posted. I would never wear them but hopefully they work with your look.

15. runner-guy

runner-guy Distinguished Member

Ha ha. Yeah, I'm slowly learning as a SF student. Just wanted to get a casual boot to wear with jeans, chinos, etc. I'm ditching my clunky Dr. Martens and wanted something nicer than my Adidas Sambas.