Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Master-Classter, Sep 28, 2008.

1. ShiaLaBeef

ShiaLaBeef New Member

What type of bag/briefcase should a recent graduate use for an entry level/admin position in a finance company? As much as I'd like to carry a very nice, slim, leather briefcase, I don't think it would be appropriate to dress like I run the place. Thoughts or suggestions?

2. Insight

Insight Senior member

What type of bag/briefcase should a recent graduate use for an entry level/admin position in a finance company? As much as I'd like to carry a very nice, slim, leather briefcase, I don't think it would be appropriate to dress like I run the place. Thoughts or suggestions?

I would go with no bag until you have been there a while and seen what everyone else is using. If you will be taking public transportation or walking, you may want on over the shoulder messenger bag.

3. EZETHATSME

EZETHATSME Senior member

Agree with Insight, good advice.

EZ

4. EZETHATSME

EZETHATSME Senior member

5. ShiaLaBeef

ShiaLaBeef New Member

I would go with no bag until you have been there a while and seen what everyone else is using. If you will be taking public transportation or walking, you may want on over the shoulder messenger bag.

Yeah, I was thinking a leather shoulder bag in a style like this. It seems like a good blend of youth and professionalism. Feel free to correct me on this.
    [​IMG]

But would it still be appropriate if I have to wear a full suit rather than just dress shirt and dress pants?

6. squelchy451

squelchy451 Senior member

Black suit (black blazer and trousers) + dark coloured shirt (i have burgundy and dark gray) + black tie (2 inches at wides point)

Good or no? (I think its good but theres times when I'm wrong...cant be too sure u know [​IMG]

7. samus

samus Senior member

Black suit (black blazer and trousers) + dark coloured shirt (i have burgundy and dark gray) + black tie (2 inches at wides point)

Good or no? (I think its good but theres times when I'm wrong...cant be too sure u know [​IMG]

Great, if you're trying to look like an extra on "The Sopranos."

8. Insight

Insight Senior member

Generally bad. A little context like your age and where you would wear this would up helpful. Still, this will almost always be considered a terrible outfit, particularly on this forum.

9. SeriousBusiness

SeriousBusiness Well-Known Member

Any idea what a decent MTM suit would cost from a place like Harry Rosen? Being in Edmonton, Canada, my choices are limited.

I'm a slender guy, and I can get away with a 36R suit, but those are hard to come by (a 34R fits well, but those are even more rare). I know MTM would be an option, and I don't mind the wait time, but as a recent graduate, I don't want to be paying way more for a MTM than something off the rack.

I know the price will vary greatly depending on various factors, but a price range is all I'm looking for as a starting point.

Thanks guys.

10. Insight

Insight Senior member

Yeah, I was thinking a leather shoulder bag in a style like this. It seems like a good blend of youth and professionalism. Feel free to correct me on this.
    [​IMG]

But would it still be appropriate if I have to wear a full suit rather than just dress shirt and dress pants?

Are you under 40? Are you taking public transportation or walking?

If so, yes.

11. ShiaLaBeef

ShiaLaBeef New Member

Are you under 40? Are you taking public transportation or walking?

If so, yes.

Yup, early 20's and public transit. I had heard from time to time that one shouldn't wear a messenger bag with a suit, but I guess it's okay for the young guys! Thanks.

12. click here

click here Senior member

When wearing a long sleeve shirt with tie, do you guys usually button the very top button? I find it makes the upper portion of my shirt too tight, so I rarely do it. Is it just me or do I need to get better fitting shirts?

13. EZETHATSME

EZETHATSME Senior member

Yup, early 20's and public transit. I had heard from time to time that one shouldn't wear a messenger bag with a suit, but I guess it's okay for the young guys! Thanks.

I agree, looks a bit better on younger guys. I like that bag in the photo.

EZ

14. EZETHATSME

EZETHATSME Senior member

When wearing a long sleeve shirt with tie, do you guys usually button the very top button? I find it makes the upper portion of my shirt too tight, so I rarely do it. Is it just me or do I need to get better fitting shirts?

I always button mine, and I imagine most on here do. I'd look for a better fit.

EZ

15. BoomDiggs

BoomDiggs Senior member

You need to get a better fitting shirt.