• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

amerikajinda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
BINGO!!!!!!!!! MARIANO RUBINACCI!!!!!! Unlined at the tips with hand-rolled edges.

tie001.jpg

tie004.jpg

tie005.jpg

tie006.jpg

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by 83glt
It was meant to be a joke.

I personally think it's funny finding a gun cleaning kit in an East Harlem Goodwill, regardless of where it's from. It could have been donated in Upstate NY for all I know.

Indeed. I did see the humor/irony in this find regardless of my little tid-bit.
laugh.gif

Beautiful tie, jinda!

amerikajinda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nataku
Beautiful tie, jinda!

Originally Posted by mystillwater
wow! that's a cool tie! what's the width?

Thanks! finally... found some other good ties but had to leave them because of damage.

I think it's 3.5"...

nehpets99

Reaction score
Originally Posted by 83glt
It was meant to be a joke.

I personally think it's funny finding a gun cleaning kit in an East Harlem Goodwill, regardless of where it's from. It could have been donated in Upstate NY for all I know.

Sorry, wrote that first thing this morning and the joke didn't come across.

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Had a good thrifting day today. It's been a looooong time since I've had one. I was losing faith, but this gave me a little bit of hope. I also had a near-miss at my first stop. Seems that near-misses are becoming more and more prominent this year. Mine, unfortunately was a gorgeous charcoal d//b suit jacket from Oxxford for Barneys NY. MTM from 2006. For one, the trousers were nowhere to be found and secondly the jacket was drycleaned to death.
frown.gif
Today's finds: - Brooks Brothers tan silk/wool/linen sportcoat. Recent. - Schneiders of Salzburg down jacket with real fur trim on hood. - Banana Republic 3/4 length wool/cashmere topcoat - Zegna Soft charcoal w/ orange windowpane sportcoat. After a good couple years of searching, I found a black topcoat. Funny, as soon as winter ends, I find two winter jackets! I've wanted a topcoat that was modern in styling, black, 3/4 length and not double-breasted. That just about eliminated everything that was in the thrifts for the past few years! BR isn't Isaia or Zegna by any means, but it'll do the job. Especially for $14.99. I'm also very excited about the Schneiders jacket. I had never heard of them before, but I bought it on a whim because it looked pretty new, it had real fur trim and overall looked well made. Also it was made in Austria. Turns out they're a pretty high-end label, sold at men's shops such as Davide Cenci in NYC and Syd Jerome in Chicago. The Zegna sportcoat was also a good reason to always check the women's section if you have time! Pickings on the men's suits/jackets rack was pretty thin, so I wandered over to the womens blazer section and just eyed the sleeve ends for a long sleeve that could belong to a men's jacket. There were several men's jackets on the rack, but this was the first I found.
DSC09515.jpg
DSC09517.jpg

mystillwater

Reaction score
sadly that's about 6" too large for me...

That and the BB are now in the B/S section if you're interested. The Zegna was a Euro 54R, but the chest it still a bit too large for me.

EBTX66

Reaction score
Found a nice pair of black Samuelson dress pants on the $1.00 rack. I handed the guy a $5 but he didn't have any $1's for change so he just gave them to me.

I found a BB tie that was a typical, conservative pattern but it's labeled "printed in Italy" and the fabric is a raw, nubby silk. The tag (keeper) color is black but it's not Black Fleece. I've never seen BB with a black label. It must be old but it looks unworn.

amerikajinda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Had a good thrifting day today. It's been a looooong time since I've had one. I was losing faith, but this gave me a little bit of hope. I also had a near-miss at my first stop. Seems that near-misses are becoming more and more prominent this year. Mine, unfortunately was a gorgeous charcoal d//b suit jacket from Oxxford for Barneys NY. MTM from 2006. For one, the trousers were nowhere to be found and secondly the jacket was drycleaned to death.
frown.gif

Today's finds:

- Brooks Brothers tan silk/wool/linen sportcoat. Recent.
- Schneiders of Salzburg down jacket with real fur trim on hood.
- Banana Republic 3/4 length wool/cashmere topcoat
- Zegna Soft charcoal w/ orange windowpane sportcoat.

After a good couple years of searching, I found a black topcoat. Funny, as soon as winter ends, I find two winter jackets! I've wanted a topcoat that was modern in styling, black, 3/4 length and not double-breasted. That just about eliminated everything that was in the thrifts for the past few years! BR isn't Isaia or Zegna by any means, but it'll do the job. Especially for $14.99. I'm also very excited about the Schneiders jacket. I had never heard of them before, but I bought it on a whim because it looked pretty new, it had real fur trim and overall looked well made. Also it was made in Austria. Turns out they're a pretty high-end label, sold at men's shops such as Davide Cenci in NYC and Syd Jerome in Chicago.

The Zegna sportcoat was also a good reason to always check the women's section if you have time! Pickings on the men's suits/jackets rack was pretty thin, so I wandered over to the womens blazer section and just eyed the sleeve ends for a long sleeve that could belong to a men's jacket. There were several men's jackets on the rack, but this was the first I found.

DSC09515.jpg

DSC09517.jpg

Back in the saddle!!!
smile.gif
Great finds... Schneider looks awesome!

sonofstan

Reaction score
A good few days - 4 pairs of jeans that all fit, including a pair of NWT April 77 Sinners (sorta glazed indigo) for 3 euros ea, a few sweaters and, today, as the sun came out, a very nice Gianluca Napoli overcoat in a sweet brown herringbone..... 10 e

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads