1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. alexei

alexei Senior member

Picked up a few things today...

[​IMG]
    2 Yves Saint Laurent wool ties and 1 unmarked tie
    $1.50 each

Nice ties! I've picked up a couple YSL wool ties recently too that are perfect autumnal ties.

2. buddy72

buddy72 Well-Known Member

Yesterday I found these like-new Eddie Bauer wool slacks for $4, perfect fit for me.
    Getting ready for fall (although here in Colorado we still have July weather)

[​IMG]

3. antirabbit

antirabbit Senior member

^^What were the approx. size of the Zegna dress shirts?

42 EU/16.5 all were made in Switzerland.

4. EBTX66

EBTX66 Senior member

finally.....
    2 NWOT Lorenzini shirts, in my size, and one of them was plain white with the best spread collar I have ever seen on Lorenzini. Pretty stoked.
    They were $9.00 each
    Picked up some sweet USA made BB ties in basic stripes, $2.00 each.

There were 2 Barbera dress shirts, but they were 17 neck, so I passed
    There were a ton of Zegna dress shirts (Su Misra), but I wasnt feeling them

There was a very recent Hickey Freeman double breasted over coat in a tan herringbone (25% cashmere), that was beautiful, but 44R, so I passed.
    Also several Zegna suits, fairly recent, but all were unvented and the shop was asking too much.
    Still not like it used to be, but better than it has been!

[​IMG] It's great to see you finally having some luck.

I'd inquire about the Barbera's but if I bring one more thing home my wife is going to turn into Lorena Bobbit. Natuku - that explains my passing on your 3-piece Zegna last week - and that one hurt!

5. juvefan

juvefan Senior member

last pull was 2 US made PRL chinos. one in khaki and one in a very faint/pale olive green that i'd appreciate if people could suggest what to wear with, particlarly shoe color

6. Ace_Face

Ace_Face Senior member

Three near misses today:

- Orphaned Brioni suit jacket in beautiful medium grey. Searched high and low for the trousers, no luck.

- Real nice dark green wool trousers by Incotex. Sadly, waist too small and legs too long.

- Hermes tie that, upon closer examination, I believe was a fake. Silk was really thin and lining seemed flimsy. I don't think I've ever seen a real one in the wild, but it seemed to me to be of too poor of quality to be real Hermes.

But that was enough to whet my appetite for future thrifting....

7. cptjeff

cptjeff Senior member

Three near misses today:

- Orphaned Brioni suit jacket in beautiful medium grey. Searched high and low for the trousers, no luck.

Could have just been a gray sportcoat.

8. UrbanComposition

UrbanComposition Senior member

I just scored 2 shirts for $12 just because they fit & I like the pattern, and lo! If I wasn't here so much, I wouldn't have recognized the name:

[​IMG]

9. Ace_Face

Ace_Face Senior member

Could have just been a gray sportcoat.

It had some pinstripes that you don't see in odd jackets. Too small for me anyway.

10. 83glt

83glt Senior member

i feel much wiser about what to look for....

MUCH wiser

You'd be surprised at how many people don't do the research. Guaranteed to save you lots of time and money.

Unless of course you're thrifting in my neck of the woods where one chain that shall remain nameless continues to ask outrageous prices. ALL suits are now $175. Whether it's Brooks Mainline or RLPL. Even if it is RLPL, like the one I saw today, I'm not going to pay $175 for a used suit that is often going to require pricey tailoring. That price is not far off from outlet prices anyway - for a NEW suit! I pretty close to writing a letter to the head office explaining how I used to spend hundreds, maybe even thousands at their stores over the course of the year, whereas now I hesitate to walk through the door. And when I do, I'm utterly disgusted at the prices. Fortunately, not all the chains have gotten this crazy.

11. ThinkDerm

ThinkDerm Senior member

You'd be surprised at how many people don't do the research. Guaranteed to save you lots of time and money.

Unless of course you're thrifting in my neck of the woods where one chain that shall remain nameless continues to ask outrageous prices. ALL suits are now $175. Whether it's Brooks Mainline or RLPL. Even if it is RLPL, like the one I saw today, I'm not going to pay $175 for a used suit that is often going to require pricey tailoring. That price is not far off from outlet prices anyway - for a NEW suit! I pretty close to writing a letter to the head office explaining how I used to spend hundreds, maybe even thousands at their stores over the course of the year, whereas now I hesitate to walk through the door. And when I do, I'm utterly disgusted at the prices. Fortunately, not all the chains have gotten this crazy.

housingworks?

12. Hoofit

Hoofit Senior member

Just picked this up this morning. Still need to clean and bath the thing in Lexol. Leather is very dry. Made in USA split cowhide by Carlton. Never heard of them, but seems like it will clean up nice. Pardon the inadequate cell phone pics. $2.99
    [​IMG]

13. Temujin

Temujin Senior member

14. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

Got a few goodies today:

- Agnona Brown/Charcoal flannel flat front trousers. Look like they were never worn. My size.
    - Recent navy tonal stripe suit from Canali. Side vented. 3-button.
    - Filson Shelter Cloth Brush pants

Sadly I had some rather unfortunate finds too:

- Gorgeous Oxxford navy flannel stripe trousers. Sadly, these were obviously orphans. Turned the store upside-down looking for the jacket with no luck. It was a beautiful suit at one time...

- 2 pairs of Barbour moleskin trousers. One had bad pilling and the other had some stains I wasn't too confident in removing.

15. 83glt

83glt Senior member

housingworks?
    BINGO! They're awful. They often have the best stuff, but the prices are crazy. It used to be much more reasonable. As recently as 18 months ago I scored a Kiton sportcoat for $8. And just last year I found a Kiton suit for $25 ... just two examples. That could never happen now... Fortunately, however, there are plenty of other options here for thrift stores. So looking elsewhere today I found a bespoke Edward Sexton blazer and 4 Charvet ties. There were actually 11 Charvet ties. But the pricing varied, as did the patterns, so I just picked what I thought were the best 4.

16. lynch_king

lynch_king Senior member

I found a burberry trench coat

I don't know if its real or not.

Did they ever make them out of pokyester and cotton blend?

the zipper is broken, and 3 buttons on it are broken, it also is missing the belt thing around the waist

the label is the old style Burberrys one with the prorsum on the horse

the fabric looks new and unworn butall the broken buttons and the missing zipper, this trench has seen better days.

i paid too much for it too $25

17. antirabbit

antirabbit Senior member

Went back to see if the Zegna shirts were still there, they wernt.
    There were a bunch of Brioni goods though, SC's and suits, all in 56 EXL, all were MTM and none of them had a buttoniere hole and they were super padded shoulders.
    I passed.
    It was nice to get that little bit of a high on seeing brioni horsey lining....too bad they sucked.

18. frenchy

frenchy Senior member

I found a burberry trench coat

I don't know if its real or not.

Did they ever make them out of pokyester and cotton blend?

the zipper is broken, and 3 buttons on it are broken, it also is missing the belt thing around the waist

the label is the old style Burberrys one with the prorsum on the horse

the fabric looks new and unworn butall the broken buttons and the missing zipper, this trench has seen better days.

i paid too much for it too $25

its a raincoat of course it has poly in it,BUT thats a good thing for you in this instance.
    i have one that was in really bad shape,threw it in the washer/dryer and steamed all the wrinkles out and looks like new.the only thing you cant save is the leather if it has split off the belt buckle

19. lynch_king

lynch_king Senior member

its a raincoat of course it has poly in it,BUT thats a good thing for you in this instance.
    i have one that was in really bad shape,threw it in the washer/dryer and steamed all the wrinkles out and looks like new.the only thing you cant save is the leather if it has split off the belt buckle

oh nice! thats great to hear.

i don't havethe belt unfortunately

it did not come with it!!!

the leather on the buckles of the sleeves are slitting though

20. ThinkDerm

ThinkDerm Senior member

BINGO! They're awful. They often have the best stuff, but the prices are crazy. It used to be much more reasonable. As recently as 18 months ago I scored a Kiton sportcoat for $8. And just last year I found a Kiton suit for $25 ... just two examples. That could never happen now...

Fortunately, however, there are plenty of other options here for thrift stores. So looking elsewhere today I found an Edward Sexton blazer and 4 Charvet ties. There were actually 11 Charvet ties. But the pricing varied, as did the patterns, so I just picked what I thought were the best 4.

figured. i never went in there, or any other thrifts, but it has that vibe.

where else do you go?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.