The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

Wow, great price! My local thrift would have slapped a $200 price-tag on that thing and stuck it in the collectibles case....

2. rayxlui

rayxlui Senior member

Has anyone heard of Il Marchese Coccapani? I was at a local thrift and saw one of the blazers. It was super soft.

3. CasmirRadon

CasmirRadon Senior member

First post on Styleforum, although this has been my favorite thread for lurking for the past couple weeks. Only recently started looking through local thrift stores.

Found a nice Zegna tie at a Salvation Army the other day for $6, I'm pretty new to upgrading my wardrobe, so I didn't even recognize the label at the time, but it was clearly a nice tie.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Other recent purchases haven't been quite as exciting. But I did find 4 pairs of wooden (not cedar) shoe trees for $3 a piece at Goodwill. I've been wanting some cheap shoe trees for my infrequently worn shoes (like my dance shoes) that are not nice enough to warrant $20 cedar.

Found a pair of size 12 cordovan Alden wingtips for $10, badly treated and not my size, so I left them.

4. vinasity

vinasity Senior member

First post on Styleforum, although this has been my favorite thread for lurking for the past couple weeks. Only recently started looking through local thrift stores.

Found a nice Zegna tie at a Salvation Army the other day for $6, I'm pretty new to upgrading my wardrobe, so I didn't even recognize the label at the time, but it was clearly a nice tie.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Other recent purchases haven't been quite as exciting. But I did find 4 pairs of wooden (not cedar) shoe trees for $3 a piece at Goodwill. I've been wanting some cheap shoe trees for my infrequently worn shoes (like my dance shoes) that are not nice enough to warrant $20 cedar.

Found a pair of size 12 cordovan Alden wingtips for $10, badly treated and not my size, so I left them.

Welcome, give it 5-6 months of good thrift shopping and you can have a great wardrobe.

5. AlanC

AlanC Minister of Trad

^Very nice tie. With patient thrifting you really never need to buy a tie otherwise.

6. tonylumpkin

tonylumpkin Senior member

Unless there is major damage to the stitching or the leather itself. I almost never leave shell behind. Its amazing what can be done with it.

7. mystillwater

mystillwater Senior member

I agree about the Alden's, especially for $10. to me its worth a little gamble.

love the Zenga tie.

8. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Senior member

Unless there is major damage to the stitching or the leather itself. I almost never leave shell behind. Its amazing what can be done with it.

That was my first thought when I saw the post. And it's not just shell. I regret that I didn't take a "before" photo of these unknown maker calf shoes. I sent my daughter back to the shoe rack to get them while I was in line. I almost left them because I questioned whether they were worth $3.39. They looked really bad. After having trees put in, treated with an alcohol/water mix, and getting a good brush shine:

[​IMG]

9. EBTX66

EBTX66 Senior member

That was my first thought when I saw the post. And it's not just shell. I regret that I didn't take a "before" photo of these unknown maker calf shoes. I sent my daughter back to the shoe rack to get them while I was in line. I almost left them because I questioned whether they were worth $3.39. They looked really bad. After having trees put in, treated with an alcohol/water mix, and getting a good brush shine:

[​IMG]

Good job. I have been amazed how thoroughly I can transform shoes with just a good cleaning, conditioning, polishing, and a set of shoe trees. Thank goodness for us its apparently a dying art.

10. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

Had a bit of luck today. I found this gorgeous baby alpaca/wool sweater/jacket piece by Bobby Jones Collection. I know Bobby Jones isn't exactly a SF-endorsed label, but this jacket is beautiful. The inside lining which is pure baby Alpaca feels amazing. Almost makes me wish it were fall so I can wear it. This is the first decent piece I've found at the Salvation Army since before Christmas. $5.99 [​IMG] [​IMG] I then went to Half-Price Books to use my 40% off coupon on a book I've been eyeing for awhile. It's called "Sample - 100 Fashion Designers - 010 Curators". Features runway photos, model photos and designer sketches. It'll be a great coffee table book (this is the hard-cover edition, with really cool staggered page sections). With my coupon it came out at just under $20. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

11. GentlemanGeorge

GentlemanGeorge Active Member

Brand new women's navy Gravati loafers: $3.99

They had apparently been at a consignment store previously then donated; a hang tag was on it saying: "These look comfy! $18--"
    [​IMG]

12. vinasity

vinasity Senior member

Found these nice Bally captoes in my size, the only thing is that they have a small ink or wine stain on the side that I cant seem to take off[​IMG] [​IMG]

13. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

[​IMG]

Thats a very nice score

14. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

You might have a fake on your hands there... some more pics (fabric tag especially) and I can tell you for sure.

Hate to burst your bubble...

15. AlanC

AlanC Minister of Trad

That's a fantastic coat! Bobby Jones makes some nice stuff. It's a subdivision of Hickey-Freeman, if memory serves.

Had a bit of luck today. I found this gorgeous baby alpaca/wool sweater/jacket piece by Bobby Jones Collection. I know Bobby Jones isn't exactly a SF-endorsed label, but this jacket is beautiful. The inside lining which is pure baby Alpaca feels amazing. Almost makes me wish it were fall so I can wear it. This is the first decent piece I've found at the Salvation Army since before Christmas. $5.99

http://i830.photobucket.com/albums/z...2/DSC09588.jpg

http://i830.photobucket.com/albums/z...2/DSC09590.jpg

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.