1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AlanC

AlanC Senior member

^Nice finds, and you can probably sell the Brioni.

Love the Aquascutum, ID.

2. GoldenTribe

GoldenTribe Senior member

That (circuitry-inspired?) Brioni tie is pretty neat, I'd like it a lot if it were in a different colour palette

3. Ace_Face

Ace_Face Senior member

I passed on a Louis Vuitton necktie that I couldn't decide was real or fake. It was only $10, but looked like it had be rumpled up in the bottom of someone's closet. Anyone ever seen fake LV neckties before?

4. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

On vacation here in SoCal. Hit about 5 thrift shops today and came out with a few items. Nothing exciting, though.

- 2 recent Salvatore Ferragamo ties with cool patterns (one of men fencing and the other of some ancient roman scene)

- Custom suit from Elevee custom Clothing made for Phoenix Suns player Robin Lopez. It's huge, but I couldn't pass up my first "celebrity" owned suit for only $6. Only a few years old, too.

- 2 Stefano Ricci for Battaglia mini gingham check shirts. Had to pass on 1 other one that had some really bad wear on the collar.

- NWOT Robert Graham L/S shirt.

Also had to pass on a vintage navy blue Aquascutum 3/4 rain jacket. Made in England. Aqua 5 exterior. Had some fading around the collar and dry-cleaning sheen on the edges.

More thrifting planned for the next 2 weeks!

5. MKB

MKB Senior member

Really happy with yesterday's finds...

Canali dress shirt. Light blue/dark blue pinstripes

Giorgio Armani black label casual shirt. 1/8" light blue/dark blue pinstripes.

Both in excellent condition; both from same donor (same dry cleaner tags).

$7.50 each.

6. UrbanComposition

UrbanComposition Senior member

Killer trench. Wear it proudly. Those ties are pretty nice, que.

7. ruben

ruben Senior member

Nataku, you know you're an addict when you thrift on your vacations (unfortunately I'm guilty of this as well).

I've found a couple celebrity things as well, they're fun but what can you do with them?

8. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

Haha, very true. Yeah - I tried to hold back, but this was my first so I had to grab it. I'll probably just use it for bragging rights with my friends who are into sports (I couldn't care less about sports). Eventually I'll pass it onto one of them or someone who'll keep it as memorabilia.

9. dahl5yankees

dahl5yankees Senior member

Nataku, enjoy your trip, have fun!

10. foodguy

foodguy Senior member

At the corner of hipster and hip replacement
    On vacation here in SoCal. Hit about 5 thrift shops today and came out with a few items.

sorry about the rain. we usually do better. but for those of us who live here, it's a blessing.

11. alanjav

alanjav Senior member

12. UrbanComposition

UrbanComposition Senior member

13. Benjamin E.

Benjamin E. Well-Known Member

An H. Freeman for B. Altman charcoal sack. It's a positively bulletproof worsted and has a lot of hand tailoring. The buttonholes, collar, and bits of the lining are hand done and the side body is not a separate piece from the forepart. There's a fish cut that runs down from the underarm and ends just below the pocket. $9 or $10.

14. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

sorry about the rain. we usually do better. but for those of us who live here, it's a blessing.
    Yeah, I heard it's been really rainy this past week. We actually didn't see much rain until today. We did go to Knotts Berry farm today and the rain spoiled the last bit, but we got a good amount of the rides done before the rain moved in. It was a bit cooler than I had expected, though! Oh well, I was prepared and wore jeans and a long sleeve shirt!

15. rayxlui

rayxlui Senior member

Yeah, I heard it's been really rainy this past week. We actually didn't see much rain until today. We did go to Knotts Berry farm today and the rain spoiled the last bit, but we got a good amount of the rides done before the rain moved in. It was a bit cooler than I had expected, though! Oh well, I was prepared and wore jeans and a long sleeve shirt!

Nice! Knott's Berry Farm! I go to school like 2 hours away from there.

16. mainy

mainy Senior member

Just put the vox jacket (note: this was not actually his, LOL) on ebay this past weekend, thought somebody might want to take a crack at it / check out the better photos:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...STRK:MESELX:IT

Already had somebody offer me $300 for it, was tempted but I'm really curious to see what it will sell for at auction. Am I an idiot? [​IMG]

17. CasmirRadon

CasmirRadon Senior member

I'm really curious to see what it will sell for at auction.

*Added to watch list

18. AlanC

AlanC Senior member

^I think it's worth a gamble to go for the auction. Good pictures.

19. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

Cool - small world! We've been staying either here in Pinion Hills with my mother in law or with my wife's grandparents in Fontana. We're here 'till the 15th, so we've got a lot more running around to do.

20. lynch_king

lynch_king Senior member

same here, north county san diego here, where are you from?

so many guys from socal wtf

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.