• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

First watch $500 budget

IBJanky

Reaction score
Thinking of picking these up, both can be had for less than $500: Bernhardt Globemaster (perfect when I travel, for multiple timezones):
BG3_1000.jpg
I also like this one, because I'm a big fan of Seikos: Seiko Spirit
s_scvs013a.jpg
myke

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by IBJanky
Thinking of picking these up, both can be had for less than $500: I also like this one, because I'm a big fan of Seikos: Seiko Spirit
s_scvs013a.jpg
myke

Nice watch, but I wish Seiko had made it a little larger, like 38-39mm. At 36mm, it's a bit small on any 6.5" wrist or larger.

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ Nice Timefactors. I've always wanted to try indepedent makers like those guys and Bill Yao at MK II.

Mentos

Reaction score
It's funny how every "what watch should I buy" thread feels like the first. We do get excited, don't we?

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whacked
^ Nice Timefactors. I've always wanted to try indepedent makers like those guys and Bill Yao at MK II.

Thanks, man. I think it's going to be my OneWatch.

syke!

ari.seoul

Reaction score
k, my opinion ...

here's what we have so far
- $500 budget
- to impress average joes
- will be worn on night outs, sometime to work

a watch could say a lot about you ... so get something that says a little about who you are - something that 'fits' you

and you loving the watch is more important than trying to impress the average joes (a lot of time they would be clueless or wouldnt even care)

so, ask yourself these questions:

1. what kind of look do you want to go for? (sporty, dressy, vintage?)
2. would I like/love wearing this watch?

to impress the average joe with a limited budget, go with a well known brand name such as Tag Heuer, unfortunately, you would need at least 1000 to get one ... unless you buy pre-owned
* but do be careful when buying pre-owned, normally I wouldnt bother buying pre-owned unless it's from a reputable store and it comes with the original documents/warranty cards

I was looking for a watch, too, last month, so I have a number of website you could check out (google these sites, I left out the dot com)

- thewatchery
- watchnet
- chrono24
- pduggan
- westbestjewelry
- grayandsons
- interwatches

but see if you can come up with another $500 - it'll make a world of difference

but with 500, you could get some nice ones - movado, esq by movado, tissot, concord, ebel
(there's a ebel watch on sale at the watchery for 497, msrp is about 1700 - http://www.thewatchery.com/Ebel/Watch/9087132/0240P)

anyway, good luck ~

makewayhomer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ich_Dien
Don't waste your money. Anything between $10-1000 is pointless when it comes to watches.

this is so laughable, and I knew it would be here. I just didn't know it would be reply #1

vbuskirk

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ari.seoul
a watch could say a lot about you ... so get something that says a little about who you are - something that 'fits' you

and you loving the watch is more important than trying to impress the average joes (a lot of time they would be clueless or wouldnt even care)

so, ask yourself these questions:

1. what kind of look do you want to go for? (sporty, dressy, vintage?)
2. would I like/love wearing this watch?

to impress the average joe with a limited budget, go with a well known brand name such as Tag Heuer,

+1. Again, do you prefer (A) or (B)???

Also, look at the Hamilton Jazzmaster series at authenticwatches.com. See anything you like there?

vbuskirk

Reaction score
Put a new strap on my Seiko Blue Spark today. Was trying out the watchpartsoutlet.com source that someone recently recommended. Strap is supposedly genuine alligator, but doesn't feel like good quality. I'm not sure this one is going to make the cut.

Anyway, this is what the 37mm watch looks like on a 7" wrist :

IMG_7393-2.jpg

IMG_7394-2.jpg

IMG_7395-2.jpg

IMG_7396-2.jpg

vbuskirk

Reaction score
Thanks. So far, I'm not gel'ing with it. But, I'll try to at least break it in before passing judgement.

FStyles

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was looking for the same several years back when i graduated college. Decided on the Tissot PRC200 and still like it to this day.

Not sure if the chrono is your cup o'tea, but this one was mild IMHO with no rotating bezels and huge numbers etc.

Still swiss construction/ swiss movement/Sapphire crystal for well under $500 with a Borrelli shirt from B&S
smile.gif
...or a croc strap!

DSC00986-1.jpg

FStyles

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm also kind of a gadget whore. That part of me sometimes gets into fights with the labelwhore and sartorial snob, also in me, but the gadget whore usuallysends a program to f**k them up.

behold, the busiest of busy watches (under $500)
Citizen eco-drive Skyhawk A/T (Blue Angels version??). you'll never need to change a battery, wind it, service it, or set the time. You will spend a good 6-8 hrs figuring the damn thing out.

citizen-eco-drive-skyhawk-a-t-watch.jpg

Bounder

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by boxdiver
To be completely honest, I'm looking for a watch that the average person might f be "wowed" by, or at least think it's worth more than I paid for it.

Then you'll want a Rorex.

Eventually, my goal is to buy a better watch like a lot of people on here have...but I simply don't have that type of money right now.
Ah, but you do. You can get a very nice Stowa for under 500 USD. You can get a Stowa sports watch for about 750 USD. If you are actually going to use them for sports, I think they are much better than a Rolex -- certainly in terms of bang for the buck.

A Stowa might not impress the "average Joe," but when you think of all the gauche and otherwise hideous things that do impress the masses, do you really want to?

Why not go for both? I know a guy in Manhattan who can sell you a genuine Rorex for $35. You will have to put a little effort into getting a bargain like this as you might have to check several street corners before you can find him.

Anyway, at current exchange rates, the 465 USD you have left ought to be enough to pick up a Stowa as well.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 94 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads