First watch $500 budget

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by boxdiver, Feb 21, 2010.

1. IBJanky

IBJanky Senior member

Thinking of picking these up, both can be had for less than $500: Bernhardt Globemaster (perfect when I travel, for multiple timezones): [​IMG] I also like this one, because I'm a big fan of Seikos: Seiko Spirit [​IMG] myke

2. DNW

DNW Senior member

Thinking of picking these up, both can be had for less than $500: I also like this one, because I'm a big fan of Seikos: Seiko Spirit [​IMG] myke
    Nice watch, but I wish Seiko had made it a little larger, like 38-39mm. At 36mm, it's a bit small on any 6.5" wrist or larger.

3. whacked

whacked Senior member

^ Nice Timefactors. I've always wanted to try indepedent makers like those guys and Bill Yao at MK II.

4. Mentos

Mentos Senior member

It's funny how every "what watch should I buy" thread feels like the first. We do get excited, don't we?

5. DNW

DNW Senior member

^ Nice Timefactors. I've always wanted to try indepedent makers like those guys and Bill Yao at MK II.

Thanks, man. I think it's going to be my OneWatch.

syke!

6. ari.seoul

ari.seoul Active Member

k, my opinion ...

here's what we have so far
    - $500 budget
    - to impress average joes
    - will be worn on night outs, sometime to work

a watch could say a lot about you ... so get something that says a little about who you are - something that 'fits' you

and you loving the watch is more important than trying to impress the average joes (a lot of time they would be clueless or wouldnt even care)

so, ask yourself these questions:

1. what kind of look do you want to go for? (sporty, dressy, vintage?)
    2. would I like/love wearing this watch?

to impress the average joe with a limited budget, go with a well known brand name such as Tag Heuer, unfortunately, you would need at least 1000 to get one ... unless you buy pre-owned
    * but do be careful when buying pre-owned, normally I wouldnt bother buying pre-owned unless it's from a reputable store and it comes with the original documents/warranty cards

I was looking for a watch, too, last month, so I have a number of website you could check out (google these sites, I left out the dot com)

- thewatchery
    - watchnet
    - chrono24
    - pduggan
    - westbestjewelry
    - grayandsons
    - interwatches

but see if you can come up with another $500 - it'll make a world of difference

but with 500, you could get some nice ones - movado, esq by movado, tissot, concord, ebel
    (there's a ebel watch on sale at the watchery for 497, msrp is about 1700 - http://www.thewatchery.com/Ebel/Watch/9087132/0240P)

anyway, good luck ~

7. ronaldinho240

ronaldinho240 Active Member

try ebay to find a good deal on a gold longines or tag heuer

8. makewayhomer

makewayhomer Senior member

Don't waste your money. Anything between $10-1000 is pointless when it comes to watches.

this is so laughable, and I knew it would be here. I just didn't know it would be reply #1

9. vbuskirk

vbuskirk Senior member

a watch could say a lot about you ... so get something that says a little about who you are - something that 'fits' you

and you loving the watch is more important than trying to impress the average joes (a lot of time they would be clueless or wouldnt even care)

so, ask yourself these questions:

1. what kind of look do you want to go for? (sporty, dressy, vintage?)
    2. would I like/love wearing this watch?

to impress the average joe with a limited budget, go with a well known brand name such as Tag Heuer,

+1. Again, do you prefer (A) or (B)???

Also, look at the Hamilton Jazzmaster series at authenticwatches.com. See anything you like there?

10. vbuskirk

vbuskirk Senior member

Put a new strap on my Seiko Blue Spark today. Was trying out the watchpartsoutlet.com source that someone recently recommended. Strap is supposedly genuine alligator, but doesn't feel like good quality. I'm not sure this one is going to make the cut.

Anyway, this is what the 37mm watch looks like on a 7" wrist :

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

^^^Nice blue strap.

12. vbuskirk

vbuskirk Senior member

Thanks. So far, I'm not gel'ing with it. But, I'll try to at least break it in before passing judgement.

13. FStyles

FStyles Senior member

I was looking for the same several years back when i graduated college. Decided on the Tissot PRC200 and still like it to this day.

Not sure if the chrono is your cup o'tea, but this one was mild IMHO with no rotating bezels and huge numbers etc.

Still swiss construction/ swiss movement/Sapphire crystal for well under $500 with a Borrelli shirt from B&S [​IMG] ...or a croc strap!

[​IMG]

14. FStyles

FStyles Senior member

I'm also kind of a gadget whore. That part of me sometimes gets into fights with the labelwhore and sartorial snob, also in me, but the gadget whore usuallysends a program to f**k them up.

behold, the busiest of busy watches (under $500)
    Citizen eco-drive Skyhawk A/T (Blue Angels version??). you'll never need to change a battery, wind it, service it, or set the time. You will spend a good 6-8 hrs figuring the damn thing out.

[​IMG]

15. Bounder

Bounder Senior member

To be completely honest, I'm looking for a watch that the average person might f be "wowed" by, or at least think it's worth more than I paid for it.

Then you'll want a Rorex.

Ah, but you do. You can get a very nice Stowa for under 500 USD. You can get a Stowa sports watch for about 750 USD. If you are actually going to use them for sports, I think they are much better than a Rolex -- certainly in terms of bang for the buck.

A Stowa might not impress the "average Joe," but when you think of all the gauche and otherwise hideous things that do impress the masses, do you really want to?

Why not go for both? I know a guy in Manhattan who can sell you a genuine Rorex for $35. You will have to put a little effort into getting a bargain like this as you might have to check several street corners before you can find him.

Anyway, at current exchange rates, the 465 USD you have left ought to be enough to pick up a Stowa as well.